User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solitude 375res winter camping

Hello, I am new to this site and looking forward to learning more about grand design and camping from everyone. I recently purchased a solitude 375res 5th wheel and I love it so far. I am looking to spend the winter in it this year, but have no idea what to do or how to get started/prepared. I live in Canada and this winter living is all new to me and hoping to get some advice. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have camped in really cold weather in the Colorado Rockies. We fill the fresh water tank and disconnect both water hose and sewage. The heated tanks work well (be sure and turn them on). Keep the propane tanks full. I assume you will be hooked up to electricity. Will the park you will stay at protect the water outlet? There are heated water hoses you can purchase that will allow you to stay hooked to water. I do not think you could wrap heat tape on the sewer hose so you will have to use on-board tanks and drain them when weather permits. I have wrapped heat tape to water outlets and the supply hose and covered both with pipe fitting foam tubes and this did work but there has to be an electrical outlet near-by.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skirt the whole unit. Add foam board insulation behind the skirting.

Get a large propane tank delivered and filled

Get heat tape and insulation and wrap the water connection at the camp ground, be sure to bring it down below the ground if at all possible or it will still freeze.

Wrap your water hose in the same.

Dehumidifier works great to keep condensation low inside

Keep water in your fresh tank in the event the outside spigot freezes. Use your tank heaters obviously

Put a thermometer in your basement near the tanks so you can keep an eye on the temperature down there. Be prepared to get heat down there in the event it gets too cold. Now is the time to make sure the ducting works the way it's supposed to. Be ready to supplement heat in the basement and put a smoke detector down there.

Supplement with electric heat, especially if it's gratis.

Enjoy.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use the search function on the forum, you'll find many threads on this topic with a lot of good information. Use terms such as "cold weather" or "winter camping."

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We winter camp in the White Mountains of New Hampshire in our 2018 Solitude 375RES. We do not use the water. We installed a toe kick heater in the base cabinet to the right of the pantry, a programmable wall heater next to the master bedroom dresser (used the electric dryer circuit for this) and used the electric fireplace a lot (we use propane too). We also installed adhesive backed start collars on all the runs from the heater plenum and insulated all the heat ducts running from the plenum. We crack the ceiling vents in kitchen and bath to release condensation. The 375RES floorplan is fun and functional and lends itself well to cold weather camping. We loved staying in it last winter, we ski all day and come home to one awesome winter camping rv!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For all of those who do the skirting, is it for full-timing? We are planning our first winter trip in the next few weeks and it will be in the 15-30 degree temps. We will only be there for 3-4 days but also don't want everything freezing in our unit.

I'm starting to get a little nervous actually!
    Our Setup
    2018.5 Solitude 310-GK
    2012 Ford F-450

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsl View Post
    For all of those who do the skirting, is it for full-timing? We are planning our first winter trip in the next few weeks and it will be in the 15-30 degree temps. We will only be there for 3-4 days but also don't want everything freezing in our unit.

I'm starting to get a little nervous actually!
    Run the furnace and keep a temperature probe in the basement. Supplement with electric heat if necessary down there.

You'll be fine. Skirting is a more long term solution to help manage heat in very cold, windy areas. At the temps you're talking about you'll be fine assuming you bring propane

If you use electric heat in the basement be sure to add a smoke detector. Heck, add one anyway. If your transfer switch or wiring ever causes and issue you'll find out about it in time to maybe keep yourself safe.

Enjoy your trip. We love cold weather RVing
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN