Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Any archers/Bow Hunters on the Forum?

I just got back from a 10 day bow hunting trip to the White Mountains in Eastern Arizona. I was hunting mule deer with my PSE bow. Are there any other archers or bow hunters here?

BTW, I harvested a nice mule deer buck last Thursday and picked it up from the butcher this morning. Fresh venison. Yum!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did indoor target archery for years and did very well. All my hunting had been rifle hunting up until last year. A couple of years ago my son-in-law started to show an interest in archery/hunting so we started doing some 3D shoots to see how we might do. We had so much fun that last year we decided to try our luck at archery hunting. Do to our lack of archery hunting experience we both had the shots on some pretty nice deer but messed up getting the shot. This year my wife and I are traveling so much we didn’t even try to get a hunt in but my son-in-law and I are already planning next years hunt. Here in Oregon you can hunt elk and deer at the same time so it makes for a really fun hunt.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoy shooting a bow. I do not hunt and shoot competition. Just fun.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
    2018 Imagine 2150RB
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big archery hunter here, just not enough time to go as much as I would like.

Our whitetail season opens in a couple weeks.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just bought a bow in OR this summer. I bought it for recreation and exercise. I rifle hunt most years so I would imagine a bow hunt is not to far off.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm an archery hunter but I don't go hunting as often as I'd like.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    BTW, I've been a bow hunter since I was 13! My first bow was a Ben Pearson recurve, and I still have it. So this last hunt marked 50 years that I've been hunting with a bow.

Jim

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    BTW, I've been a bow hunter since I was 13! My first bow was a Ben Pearson recurve, and I still have it. So this last hunt marked 50 years that I've been hunting with a bow.

Jim
    That's funny! My first bow was a Ben Pearson recurve and I was probably about 13 when I got mine!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well this was an excellent and timely post. I am looking to start taking some archery lessons in January. I am not looking to hunt or compete. I'm sure I have so much to learn that maybe having fun would be first and foremost. I had some complimentary lessons at this local indoor knife/axe throwing business and I became quite interested. The bows were not of the greatest quality and I can see my progression being quickly limited by their equipment. My question to you folks: what should I be looking at for a good quality target shooting bow? There is a professional club/range very close to my home that I hope to visit once I learn the basics but they do not rent any equipment and I would need to bring my own. Thank you for your help.
    "Every Day Is A Good Day"

Marco
    Guelph, Ontario, Canada
    2019 Imagine XLS 21 BHE
    2017 Nissan NV3500 Van 5.6L V8 and decked out to tow.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good morning Marco.

It is a really fun sport, and I love to spend several hours target shooting. If I were you, I'd go discuss your plans with an archery shop in your area. I looked near Guelph, and there appears to be a very competent shop 33 km from you. It's the "Bow Shop" 631 Colby Dr, Waterloo, ON N2V 1B4, Canada.

You should be able to try pulling a variety of bows, and see what fits you best. They can help you figure out which accessories such as sights, releases and arrows will be best suited to your needs.

Another option is to drop by a local archery club. There just happens to be one in your home town:
    Royal City Bowmen -
    5329 Wellington County Rd 29, Guelph, ON N1H 6H7, Canada

Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast