User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pay more attention to 7 way connection when disconnecting!!!

Hi, after a soggy trip to Cape Charles Va this past weekend we were disconnecting the trailer at home, as we've done quite a few times.....normally my wife watches as I idle the truck forward away from the trailer....it was raining so I suggested to go inside....as I idled the truck forward, the 7 way plug which was sitting unplugged in the bed fell into the gap between the bed and the tailgate just right(wrong) which resulted in ripping the electrical box off the trailer. Not a big deal just very aggravating! It was a "perfect" ending to a trip that including....having a #4 fishing hook embedded in the top of my foot, getting stung in my palm by an angry stingray,(super painful) having to call a mobile RV repair service to remove our wind damaged main awning so we could get mobile as we were evacuated due to Florence! All and all, a fun trip but learned some lessons! At least we could go home to a safe place without any worries, unlike the poor folks getting the brunt of another hurricane. It can always be worse! Take away, ALWAYS place the 7 way on the ground after unplugging!
    Eric & Monique Cope...never left at home, our dog, Olive. Machipongo VA.
    2017 350M
    2017 F350 DRW, Crew cab, 8 ft bed, 4.10 axle. 27,500 lb. Reese Hitch
    Live by the Golden Rule!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a bit of a rough trip. When I drop my tailgate prior to pulling away, I wrap the 7 way connector and break away cable into a loop and store it inside the back of the pin box; no need to worry about it falling or getting pulled on something.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great attitude to a rough trip. It always help to keep our frustrations in perspective. Still a great lifestyle.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are always challenges in life, at least you remembered to unplug your power cord.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Sounds like a bit of a rough trip. When I drop my tailgate prior to pulling away, I wrap the 7 way connector and break away cable into a loop and store it inside the back of the pin box; no need to worry about it falling or getting pulled on something.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    This is exactly what I do as well, no chance for it to snag anything that way. Sorry for your ugly trip but glad everyone's safe.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all part of the adventure. Besides, what stories could we tell during Happy Hour if everything went routinely?

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This happened to me in kind of a similar way. I had left the plug sitting on the bed and it caught on some loose wood. It wasn't a lot of pressure holding the plug but when I looked at the junction box, there was only one short screw holding it in! No wonder it pulled out so easily. I used FOUR screws with agggressive threads to cinch that sucker tight against the plywood.

Now I throw the plug into the rear opening of the pin box. The emergency brake lanyard goes into the same spot.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry you had these issues, but it serves as a good reminder. I'd suggest all owners remove the cover of the end of their 7-way connector box and take a couple of photos for future reference. If you ever have an accident and pull out the harness, or a wire comes undone, you can refer to the photos to reconnect everything. Here is a photo of mine.

Jim

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eric - don't feel pregnant. I have pulled off with the 7 way connected. See my thread for my issues. Lots of great help / lots of good folks on the forum. Good Luck.
    Eddie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am wondering - how did you get stabbed in the hand by a stingray? When I catch one the first order of business is break off the barb.
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast