User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member Captain America's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaking fresh water tank at sensor locations!!

After filling fresh water tank, I noticed water dripping. I found water dripping from the sensor locations on the tank. The bottom sensor screw and half sensor screw is leaking. I wonder if they used too long screws or over tighten the screws and penetrated the tank? I do not think I can fix this and might need a new tank.

I have two more boondocking trips planned, one next weekend and another in October. Anyone know an easy fix??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180916_180658.jpg  
    2018 Refection 311BHS
    2018 Ram 3500

Jack of all trades, Master on none

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After taking it to dealer for repair and noted that the water tank is leaking at sensor locations, they stated the fixed the water overflow pipe. I got RV back and went on camping trip the next weekend and noticed water leaking from bottom of RV, like last time. I checked their work and they did nothing!! Still leaking.

GRRRRRRR, very frustrating!! I had to wait 4 weeks for them to repair other items and "tank", and we can not drop it off and wait a month. We have scheduled trips that I do not want to cancel because of this. Any fix that I can do, or call Grand Design and get something set up with them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190324_102746.jpg  
    2018 Refection 311BHS
    2018 Ram 3500

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow! This is the first time I've seen this issue. I'd call GDRV tomorrow morning at 574-825-9679 and see if they have any ideas. I'm wondering if you placed some clear silicone over the screws if it would stop the leak once it had time to cure? Since the tank is not pressurized, this may be a temporary solution.

Jim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will call Grand Design tomorrow. I guarantee the dealer saw the issue and did not want to take the time to repair or replace tank. The tank is above the axles and the room between side of tank and frame are few inches, the tech did not want to mess with it.
    2018 Refection 311BHS
    2018 Ram 3500

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You could try and remove a screw and put silicone in the hole and then put the screw back - might seal it. Also removing the screw would tell you if it was too long. Other possible solution is a tight fitting o-ring around the screw with a flat washer to compress it against the tank.

Just thinking out loud here.
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking same thing. However, screws will not come out. The screws will turn without backing out. The screws maybe rusted into the metal sensor and the metal sensor insert is spinning in the spin weld?
    2018 Refection 311BHS
    2018 Ram 3500

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Something to try. Place a thin flat head screwdriver between the tank and flat fitting and then try to remove the screw. This will put pressure on the sensor, possibly allowing the screw to back out without the sensor spinning. Hitting it with WD40 the night before can help too.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I was thinking same thing. However, screws will not come out. The screws will turn without backing out. The screws maybe rusted into the metal sensor and the metal sensor insert is spinning in the spin weld?
    The sensor is inserted through a hole in the tank wall. The inner nut is tightened to expand the grommet which seals to the tank wall. The outer nut secures the wire. If you hold the end of the bolt and tighten the inner nut, you should be able to expand the grommet and stop the leak.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Level Sensor Probe.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well learned something new again...I wonder what I will forget tomorrow.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for picture; always good to know how things look in case of future problem. Will find out next week on next camping trip if my new water pump corrected fresh water tank from overfilling; had already replace city water valve and this did not fix problem. The only way to tell is have it hooked to water supply for extended length of time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast