User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    For planning purposes I used 15% of my trailer's GVWR to make sure my tow vehicle was up to the task. For the 2400BH that's 1,124 lbs. 750lbs could be a reasonable figure, but as one forum member said you'll have to monitor your tongue weight with the diligence of a load master. Remember--GD's advertised hitch weight is without a battery, water, propane tank(s) or anything in the front storage. (2400BH owners please chime in with your actual numbers.)

One inexpensive device that can help you is the Sherline Tongue Scale. Here's a thread on the topic (there are many more if you search):https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...057#post178057
    Thanks for the link as that was helpful. Is that link showing the weights on your 315RLTS? I find that interesting as GD states the tongue weight for that trailer at 1065. I believe you said your trailer was empty but it looks like it does include the propane tanks and battery from the pictures. That is much closer to the GD stated weight than what I would have thought. I don't plan on traveling with full tanks and will either empty or fill prior to any long drives. We will have to be careful on packing and the dogs might have to stay at home

I have researched trying to find a true tongue weight on the 2400bh but haven't been able to find it. If anyone has it please let me know.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomado View Post
    Thanks for the link as that was helpful. Is that link showing the weights on your 315RLTS? I find that interesting as GD states the tongue weight for that trailer at 1065. I believe you said your trailer was empty but it looks like it does include the propane tanks and battery from the pictures. That is much closer to the GD stated weight than what I would have thought. I don't plan on traveling with full tanks and will either empty or fill prior to any long drives. We will have to be careful on packing and the dogs might have to stay at home

I have researched trying to find a true tongue weight on the 2400bh but haven't been able to find it. If anyone has it please let me know.
    When I weighed yesterday my tongue weight was ~1,400lbs. But that's because we added a washer and dryer which (of course) is in the front closet. I'm already getting real close to the theoretical max tongue weight of 1649 lbs (10,995*.15). I won't get there (thankfully?) because I'm already 265lbs over the trailers GVWR. Here's the conversation: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...530#post188530

What you'll note in that thread is questions about my hitch capacity, axle ratings, etc. I actually feel bad bringing all of this up, but with knowledge you're armed to make better decisions and avoid the "gotchas".

Edit: Yes, that was my 315 in the pics and no, it was not empty.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been driving my 2016 F350 as as daily vehicle for 2 years, and before that a Chevy K2500 for 20 years Wouldn’t have it any other way. I love driving a truck regardless I’m just never comfortable in a car, even my wife’s SUV feels small.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll echo what others have said. Get the 350 for the additional payload at minimal cost, and the "Ultimate trailer tow camera system" which makes parking very easy. If either of you routinely park in a parking garage, check the ceiling height of the garage. I have found several garages that my F-350 will not fit in. Not an issue since I don't need to use a parking garage routinely.....just be sure to check if you do.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2017 F350 CCSB PSD FX4 Platinum is my daily driver. I have a 33mi (o/w) commute to the office each day outside of Nashville. When school is out, it is a 40min drive... but when school is in, it can be an hour and a half drive. It rides great, and is very comfortable. Have been impressed with the 6.7L diesel. Love, love, love the Ultimate Camera system - piece of cake to hitch up by myself. I bought the Platinum because it is my daily and I was going to do it comfortably. My wife has driven it without issue (although I don't like giving my truck up). A Short bed crew cab is easy enough to maneuver if you spend much time in the city (highly recommend an autoslider if you go with a SB), but a Long Bed is generally preferred with a 5er.

You are on the right track with a 1-ton, especially if you are considering a diesel. I had a 3/4T Diesel (15 GMC Denali CCSB) prior, and was regularly over my payload capacity by 400# with the 28BH on hitch and loaded for camping (w/o water). The bonus of having a 1-ton in TN, is I don't have to do the annual emission testing since it is over the 10,500# GVWR exemption.

We love our 28BH - its the "baby" of the Reflection 5er lineup, but has a great layout, good storage and fits our current needs. Good luck!
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drive my F350 diesel dually everywhere - usually no problem. Every so often, it gets tough to find a parking space in small lots and forget about ramp garages - really ain't happening. Automatic car washes (the kind where you get pulled through on tracks) not happening either. Wife doesn't like driving it - mostly because of the length (I have the monster cab/long bed combo), not the duallies. And, not to start yet another huge thread on diesel technology, but to me, the whole DEF thing is a pain in the butt and I'm not too fond of having to use cetane or anti-gel additives. Also, in many large cities it is very difficult to find a diesel pump in the metro area (I nearly ran out searching in Miami). In short - diesels are great BUT they take more effort than gas. I use this truck as my daily driver but I really bought it to pull a 20K fiver and it does it's job excellently. None of the downsides are show stoppers - just things to contend with. There's a ton of really neat accessories, but if you live in a cold area or plan to spend a lot of time in one, get the block heater and the electric cab heater (don't remember the "official" names for these options). Overall - great vehicle.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drive a 2017 F250 6.2 gasser. Its been a pleasure owning and driving after trading in my 2013 F150. I was apprehensive but its worked out well. If you really don't need the diesel get a gas powered F250 with 4:30 gears. Its hard to argue against the F350, but the F350 trades a lower overall gear ratio vs the torque shift-G in the F250. My 2970RL is one of the heavier Imagine TTs and its been a pleasure driving the East Coast roads. Personally, the diesel did not make economic sense, and my own skepticism over the myriad of systems required on the new diesels for emissions, and the cost to repair anything diesel.... Sure, I cant sprint up the mountains like a PS or DMax, but the 6.2 is no slouch and I never find myself wanting for more power. And... under the hood is just a big 'ol V8 that makes wonderful sounds at full purr...
    David, Mindy and Bentley
    2019 Imagine 2970RL
    573TE3424K6610780
    2017 F250 4x4 6.2 CCSB

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wanted to thank everyone again for their input. We were going to hold off on the F350 and purchase an Imagine 2400bh to pull with our Expedition. However, as others pointed out when I started looking at "realistic" tongue weights, which my guess is between 750-950lbs, we will be at max payload and likely over based on our payload sticker of 1450. I know we could pull the trailer with a WDH but I don't want to run the risk of having an accident and the insurance adjusters/lawyers questioning my payload and more important I want to keep my family safe.

We have since driven an F350 CC SB SRW and ended up ordering a fully loaded Lariat with all the towing electronic stuff except for the trailer camera and TPMS. We haven't decided if we will do aftermarket or not but can easily buy the Ford Trailer Camera/TPMS after we have the truck. This should also allow us to get the Reflection 28bh which we love and be able to be within all towing limits. I thought I would provide some of our thoughts in case anyone else is slightly intimidated by the size of these trucks like we were.

1. It drives great, although not as smooth as my Expedition.
    2. The biggest surprise was that it doesn't feel no where as big as it looks. My wife said the same thing
    2. Love being up high to see everything and the sound of the Diesel!
    3. Parking was the big question mark and it does fit in our garage and my work parking garage. General parking will be the biggest challenge and backing in is great input. I did have to make some modification to our garage before the test drive which ended up being simple. Also, I will need to either cut down the antenna or replace with a shorter one. My thoughts are to cut down to cab height to have a garage height warning signal.
    4. I have to say my wife liked driving it and she was even surpised.
    5. My wife is going to start driving my Expedition and I will likely drive the truck (trade in her existing car) to and from work which is about 11 miles each way. She does a lot of 2-3 mile errands with our boys and I think the Expedition would be easier and better for her type of driving.

Next up...we need to find a good deal on a Reflection 28bh!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nomads

Great to here your news. Always glad when somebody learns and takes proper steps for there family and others on the roads safety in to consideration.

Good luck with the 28BH.

Brian

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomado View Post
    Wanted to thank everyone again for their input. We were going to hold off on the F350 and purchase an Imagine 2400bh to pull with our Expedition. However, as others pointed out when I started looking at "realistic" tongue weights, which my guess is between 750-950lbs, we will be at max payload and likely over based on our payload sticker of 1450. I know we could pull the trailer with a WDH but I don't want to run the risk of having an accident and the insurance adjusters/lawyers questioning my payload and more important I want to keep my family safe.

We have since driven an F350 CC SB SRW and ended up ordering a fully loaded Lariat with all the towing electronic stuff except for the trailer camera and TPMS. We haven't decided if we will do aftermarket or not but can easily buy the Ford Trailer Camera/TPMS after we have the truck. This should also allow us to get the Reflection 28bh which we love and be able to be within all towing limits. I thought I would provide some of our thoughts in case anyone else is slightly intimidated by the size of these trucks like we were.

1. It drives great, although not as smooth as my Expedition.
    2. The biggest surprise was that it doesn't feel no where as big as it looks. My wife said the same thing
    2. Love being up high to see everything and the sound of the Diesel!
    3. Parking was the big question mark and it does fit in our garage and my work parking garage. General parking will be the biggest challenge and backing in is great input. I did have to make some modification to our garage before the test drive which ended up being simple. Also, I will need to either cut down the antenna or replace with a shorter one. My thoughts are to cut down to cab height to have a garage height warning signal.
    4. I have to say my wife liked driving it and she was even surpised.
    5. My wife is going to start driving my Expedition and I will likely drive the truck (trade in her existing car) to and from work which is about 11 miles each way. She does a lot of 2-3 mile errands with our boys and I think the Expedition would be easier and better for her type of driving.

Next up...we need to find a good deal on a Reflection 28bh!
    Congrats, I think you made a great choice. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "I should have bought a smaller tow vehicle". Now that you are getting the diesel, you will absolutely love that exhaust brake when towing the trailer.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast