Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying new RV

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying new RV

We are going to purchase a RV. We have it narrowed down to the Solitude 373FB, the Alpine 3701FL, the Big Country 3950FB and the Bighorn 3870FB. Any suggestions or thoughts? We haven't owned a RV for a few years, but are ready to start travelling to find our retirement spot. Just trying to make an informed decision.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let the Mrs. decide on t kitchen primarily and overall storage capacity. When you do retire the camper becomes your cottage, at least it did in our case. The Solitude has a 101" width. Most campers are at 96". The 5" difference matters considering the overall length of the trailer. That's knee, walking room around the recliners, island, the bed, and additional width for cupboards.
    Just as important is the overall floorplan. I didn't look at your choices but if one or two aren't just right, and you'd have to compromise on anything, eliminate it.
    Finally, in my humble opinion, as you are getting ready to retire, buy your last camper first. At this time in your life you don't want to think about selling or trading in for another model in just a couple of years. If something doesn't work out now that'd be a financial hit to go back and trade up.
    I guess that advice goes for the truck you'll need to tow the new camper. Don't just get enough truck, go a little bigger here so you won't struggle on weight, accelerating, handling, etc.
    Just my 2 cents here.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WileyS View Post
    We are going to purchase a RV. We have it narrowed down to the Solitude 373FB, the Alpine 3701FL, the Big Country 3950FB and the Bighorn 3870FB. Any suggestions or thoughts? We haven't owned a RV for a few years, but are ready to start travelling to find our retirement spot. Just trying to make an informed decision.

Thanks!
    Just read all the forums. They all have problems but Grand Design actually stand behind their product. They often bend over backwards to make things right even when they're not obligated to.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum! I imagine you will get a very biased response towards the Solitude since this is the GD owners forum. Most of all the RVs are assembled in a similar manner and a big thing that sets GD apart is their customer service. You can actually speak to someone at the factory by calling them if you have a problem, depending on the issue they will send you parts, authorize mobile repair or have you work with a dealership. Their customer service was one of the major deciding factors for us. Also, this forum is another great tool for any issues you encounter, very friendly, no bashing like you would see on Facebook or other forums. Good luck in your purchase decision!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    At least one of the models listed has heater vents in the floor. In the kitchen/dining area it is a deal breaker for me for two reasons. 1. I don't like stepping on them, especially in bare feet. 2. food and dirt drops down in them over time and makes it a pain to clean. I realize not everyone is so picky but it's something to consider

Good luck with your choice,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are wanting to do an extended stay or go full time... Grand Design does welcome this and does not void your warranty for doing so.

The Apline Thor product you mentioned has the limited and structural warranty voided if the RVs are used for business, rental, residential, commercial, or disaster relief purposes, or any purposes other than recreational travel and family camping. Bighorn & Big Country not affected.

Keystone's Alpine - Page 16 on PDF (Page 10) https://www.keystonerv.com/media/914...anual-2019.pdf

Heartland's Bighorn & Big Country - Page 8 PDF (Page 6) https://heartlandrvs.com/pdf/2019-owners-manual.pdf

Grand Design's Solitude - Page 26 PDF (Page 24) https://www.granddesignrv.com/sites/...al-01.2018.pdf
    Last edited by cleazenby; 09-19-2018 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Did not read correctly

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm also in the research for a new 5th wheel to replace the motorhome we currently travel in. The Vanleigh Vilano 320GK is currently in the top spot of the short list. Most manufacturers have similar, if not the same, floor plans. Many in the extended stay/full-time category are the wide body, 102" width. Appliances are similar in the models so you look for differences in build quality, durability, and weight. Generally speaking a heavier trailer is likely more solidly built, but that means more truck needed. For us we avoid anything lite, light, x-lite, etc. Under-built and won't last in my opinion.

Some criteria I look for is aluminum welded framing, REAL wood cabinets not pressed board or MDF, residential quality SS sinks, Corian solid surface not glued laminated like I saw in a new Montana. Roomy s solid feel shower, cabinets that are not very dark wood, furniture NOT bonded leather or cheap vinyl (tough one to ferret out). Quiet ducted air conditioners. There's others but you get the idea.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try opening the cabinet doors in the kitchens in both GD and the Van Leigh. As their opening we found the feel of the doors as they are opening felt a lot sturdier in the GD than in the Van Leigh. The Van Leigh as they were opening had a wobble feel to them like they were thinner or lighter for some reason.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Grand Design factory does a really nice job of standing behind their products, often, even after they're out of warranty. I would suggest that anything a salesman or dealership tells you to verify and confirm it with actual owners here or on FB.

I get the list of RV recalls every week and I can tell you that Keystone and Heartland has more recalls than Grand Design. Some RV mfgs. are on that list every couple of weeks for various models but I believe (if my memory serves me right) GD has only been on the list three times this past year and it was for small issues.

I do not work for Grand Design, a dealership or any other RV related business but we are full timers and have been all over the nation and ocean to ocean (literally). GD builds a very nice product in the price range.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast