Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Converting My Exterior Television Cabinet to a Work Shop

Over three years ago, Rob (Cate&Rob) posted one of his first DIY projects on the forum. He build a workshop in the front storage bay of his 303. Here is a link to his project posting:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...7122#post37122

I have always thought it was a nifty idea. On our boondocking trip a couple of weeks ago, the thought came to me that I've only used the outside television one time in two years! And that was just to see if it worked. Another consideration was to remove some more tongue weight and move my tools behind the axle. So, I converted the television bay to a storage area to organize my tools and gadgets that are a necessity on the road.

The first thing I did was drag out the tub-o-tools that was in the front storage area and take out the things I didn't really need. About half the tools were sent back to the garage tool box. I mean after all, it was looking kind of empty anyway.

Next, I removed the television, electrical and cable connections. The panel where this stuff was mounted was very flimsy. So I placed plywood on the front and back of the panel for reinforcement. I could access quite a bit of the area by removing the fireplace. Then I moved on to installing a shelf and painting the new addition. I was able to find a paint that very closely matched the existing stain of the drawers.

I still need to make some brackets to hold everything in place. My lovely bride agreed to let me purchase a new Kobalt tool kit for even more organization.

Here are some photos of the job.

This was the "before" shot.

The interior view with the fireplace removed. While I was in here, I cleaned up some of the wiring.

The completed project.

Thanks much for the ideas Rob!

Jim

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim,

That looks like a lot more useful purpose for that space (but that’s just my opinion ). Thanks for the kind comments and reviving the link to my front compartment workshop. It is interesting how these projects ideas feed back and forth on each other . . . I am looking at the OE gas struts on your door and thinking . . . Hmmm . . . that would be a great addition to my front compartment door that I have to manually latch/unlatch every time. These compartment doors are probably about the same size . . . what is the strength of those struts?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great! What paint did you find? I’ve got an outdoor-kitchen shelf project planned for my equivalent space. Thank you.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Jim,

I am looking at the OE gas struts on your door and thinking . . . Hmmm . . . that would be a great addition to my front compartment door that I have to manually latch/unlatch every time. These compartment doors are probably about the same size . . . what is the strength of those struts?

Rob
    Rob - the struts are original and came with the trailer. The door is 79 cm x 119 cm (Canadian eh?). The strut part number is SX200P-30. So 30#, Here is a photo of the label on the strut.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,
    I can't tell for sure how high door opens. I'm 6'2" and I moved mounting for gas struts up a bit on side(I think I just used upper hole for lower hole in bracket). Now mine is at more of an upward angle and I don't feel like I have to duck when I have it open. Nice job with conversion.
    TOM
    2024 Solitude 370DV(on order)
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500(3500 on order)
    Sold 2018 297RSTS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    Looks great! What paint did you find? I’ve got an outdoor-kitchen shelf project planned for my equivalent space. Thank you.
    Fortunately, I was able to remove a piece of the cabinet and take it to Lowes for caparison. The closest we could come was Sherwin Williams "Brown Aptitude". HGSW3101. I purchased it in Latex Exterior Satin. It was very close, but in direct sunlight, there was a very slight tint difference.

Jim

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 297sox View Post
    Jim,
    I can't tell for sure how high door opens. I'm 6'2" and I moved mounting for gas struts up a bit on side(I think I just used upper hole for lower hole in bracket). Now mine is at more of an upward angle and I don't feel like I have to duck when I have it open. Nice job with conversion.
    TOM
    I'm 5-8 (on a good day). Never a problem for me. LOL.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks great Jim. A much better use for that space. That TV removed would make a good serving tray.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Nice work Jim! That looks like it was built that way.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. The next step is to get rid of the outside stove and build a drawer in its place for bar essentials.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast