User Tag List

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't make it out of the driveway...

...before I had my first issue. Turned on the truck and was greeted with a low tire pressure warning light (inner rear driver's was at 27 psi). Crawled under the truck and sure enough--there's a screw embedded in the tire.

So instead of a nice leisurely morning (everything was hooked up and ready to go) I got to learn how to change a tire on a dually. (Note everything was fine two days before when I drove the truck over 100 miles to get it weighed!)

Now we're (finally) at our first campground in Alabama and the park's 2" water line burst. <sigh> Thankfully we have just enough fresh water to take a shower and then it's off to dreamland. At least the two dogs were good--they are learning fast how to be good travelers.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that's a bummer. But on the bright side you know how to change a tire on a dually now, and it was in your driveway.
    The best part is you are camping.
    Have fun.

Brian

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its an adventure and now you have the obligatory disaster out of the way for this trip. Have fun, now.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will you carry that floor jack with you in case this happens again on the road?...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Will you carry that floor jack with you in case this happens again on the road?...

Rob
    If it happens on the road AAA gets to do it! The floor jack was just me being overly cautious since I couldn't figure out where to put the jack stand. (Don't have that with me, either!)

Time to pack up and head further north...

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well when you are heading further north and get to Pa. I will by you a beer, looks like you need one.

Brian

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow bummer howson! I'm dreading the day that happens on my new dually. I already have Ford's roadside assistance and also added USAA's. May even put Triple A on it too lol. If that happens to me I want it airlifted to the nearest Discount Tire LOL. Hope the rest of the trip is much more fun!!

P.S. I'm jealous of that driveway!!!
    Last edited by Txfivver; 09-20-2018 at 06:24 AM. Reason: added p.s.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well at least you where at home where it was much easier and quicker to fix. Would be a bummer on the side of the freeway even with AAA, sometimes it's a long wait. Now you can sit back and enjoy the trip.
    David, Victoria & Scout

2018 Ford F-350 CCLB DRW Metallic Power stroke diesel
    2017 310-GK R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    ...before I had my first issue. Turned on the truck and was greeted with a low tire pressure warning light (inner rear driver's was at 27 psi). Crawled under the truck and sure enough--there's a screw embedded in the tire.

So instead of a nice leisurely morning (everything was hooked up and ready to go) I got to learn how to change a tire on a dually. (Note everything was fine two days before when I drove the truck over 100 miles to get it weighed!)

Now we're (finally) at our first campground in Alabama and the park's 2" water line burst. <sigh> Thankfully we have just enough fresh water to take a shower and then it's off to dreamland. At least the two dogs were good--they are learning fast how to be good travelers.
    Interesting seeing this picture today. I have been struggling to make a decision between a toy hauler and keeping my TT which I love, in my opinion, one of the best floor plans I have seen. Yours also has a great floor plan but is also longer at 37’11”. Mine measures 34’ and has a similar tongue weight.

So trailering from PA to NH yesterday DW and I are now considering keeping our TT and getting a one ton diesel. This has to happen in any case as the Tundra is just not the right truck for long hauls (no matter what people say, myself included in the past).

My question is why the DRW? I am also leaning to a DRW so I can safely carry a bike in the back (500 + pounds), or 3 dirt bikes... The DRW is probably overkill but seems to me that it should be more stable and cut back sway vs a SRW. Did you tow your TT with a SRW and have a comparison or did you go directly to the DRW? My next truck will definitely be 8 foot box diesel.

Nice set up by the way and I hope your troubles are over.

Oldcow
    2023 F450
    2013 Outback 300RB
    2018 DR650
    2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1224R

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldcow View Post
    My question is why the DRW?
    Payload. >5K available with the DRW. The 250 I had (also a Platinum, also a 2017 and also a diesel) had ~2,100. A SRW 350 would have netted just under ~1500 more. Made a mistake the first truck purchase (click on my username and look at the profile picture). I wasn't going to mess around the second time. I wanted more than enough and leave open the possibility for a toy hauler in the future without buying another truck. FYI, combined, what I have now weighs (gross weight) ~22,000 lbs. GCWR for the 350 DRW is (I think) 36K.

Did you tow your TT with a SRW and have a comparison or did you go directly to the DRW?
    I hauled the Goldwing in my F-250 but didn't tow the 315. The DRW came first, then the 315 was purchased.

Nice set up by the way and I hope your troubles are over.

Oldcow
    Thank you!