User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Want to buy 311BHS

We currently own a travel trailer and want to get into a GD 311BHS. My wife and I have fallen in love with this floor plan and want to upgrade this winter. We have a brand new 18' F250 6.7L Diesel that pulls our 8k TT like it isn't even there.

I just bought this truck and I'm sure I should have bought the 350, but I'm thinking I should be ok for a few years. I'm thinking I'll be more than fine with the tow capacity, but I'll be a bit over on pin weight. Do you all think we'll be ok with this fifth wheel for a few years or should I pass?

Thanks for the feedback, I'm excited to be here.

v/r,
    Jon
    Last edited by 00Vette; 09-19-2018 at 09:41 PM. Reason: added verbiage

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put a set of air bags on my F250 to level up the load, and it doesn't squat at all with a 2000 lb. dry kingpin weight 323BHS. I seldom use the air bags, even.

I used to work for Ford Motor Company, and the published weight capabilities are very conservative--over 20% less than a truck can really handle. I do try to comply with stickers, however.

You'll be fine with the load you have.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m in the same boat, or truck same year, and DW wants 311 over 28bh. Ive researched the hell out of this and found others who tow 311 bhs with f250 diesel no problem. I did add airlift 5000 air bags and vair compressor and tank. I’ll just be very watchful of cargo, placement and run empty whenever possible. Honestly, now with all the research I’ve done, I’m more worried about trailer suspension than trucks ability to tow and stop of course.

Post what you finally get and any mods. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t know the specs on that camper but do your homework and make the decision you are comfortable with. Adding air bags/Timbrens does not increase the payload capacity of the truck. I’m sure Bamaman is spot on with the ratings having a cushion but at the end of the day the door post sticker is what it is. Could be an issue if there is an accident and the trailer weight/truck capacities are investigated. To your “should’ve bought an F-350” comment there is some truth to that statement as a SRW F-350 has quite a bit more payload capacity and the additional cost is nominal when considering what the purchase cost of these trucks are now. Good luck and travel safely!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pulled my GD Reflection 311BHS with a Chevrolet 2500HD diesel 4X4 for over a year and would still be doing it except for a unexpected 3500HD falling in my lap. The only real difference that I see between a 2500HD and a 3500HD is that the 2500HD jerked a little more on take off. You have to watch your weights a little more with a 2500HD but I don't feel like it was much of a problem.

You'll get on other forums and see that everyone who has a 3500 truck will swear that that's the only way to go. My son is a GMC mechanic and says that there is not a great deal of difference in a 2500 and a 3500. The 3500 is a heavier truck but usually has the same engine/transmission as the 2500. That means that you have more payload on the 3500 but will get less gas mileage than with the 2500. The 3500 has a better ride because of the added weight.

If I had it to do over, I would have kept the 2500HD and been perfectly happy.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Want to buy 311BHS

Well my wife wanted the 311 as well. I have a ‘18 F350 SRW with the sticker payload of 3478. However adding Linex and tonneau cover changed that. When I weighed my truck in a certified CAT it was 8400. Subtracting that from the 11500 GVWR leaves me with a true payload of 3100. ( note that 8400 included me —240—and a 50 lb dog and a full tank so maybe my payload is actually 3390 now?)
    Anyways the tongue weight on a full 311 could be 2800 leaving me only 300 left over so I feel we are really at the fringe and since I’m going to be a first time fifth wheel driver, I’m not sure I feel comfortable on the fringe. So in my case, since my wife really likes the 311, and I’m a little hesitant, now she I think she wonders why we bought this truck.

Last edited by FLTom52; 01-24-2019 at 08:31 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's amazing how quickly a 3300+ payload can get used up. I could only manage the 28BH.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    It's amazing how quickly a 3300+ payload can get used up. I could only manage the 28BH.
    We might go the 31 mb— 2k less than the 311.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The chances of getting weight are near zero that's not an issue.

You will have evaluated the risk you are will to take. You will be pulling a 5er with a dry weight of 2180 being pulled by 3/4 ton with around a 2000 pound payload. Being weighted at the accident site could happen but unlikely but by checking the VIN it could easily be proven you exceed the safety recommendations of the manufacturer. I was reading all this legal advice on the forums so I made an appointment with an attorney to get the correct information and it cost me 120.00 bucks to get the facts as seen by an accident attorney. I will say this he was well educated in RV and trucks being overloaded. The attorney used the example of 3/4 pulling a 5er exceeding the payload weighs.

My next stop after talking to the attorney I bought an umbrella policy to cover me in case of an accident. In my state, minimum coverage on medical is 25,000 per person and 50,000 per accident. You exceeded those with an ambulance ride and the couple hours in an emergency room. You could be held liable for amounts over the insurance limits. Driving big heavy RVs could cause a lot of injuries in an accident.

Call me weight police, over thinking, or just plain paranoid but to me is risk management that you are comfortable with.
    Last edited by CWSWine; 01-24-2019 at 09:20 AM.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    The chances of getting weight are near zero that's not an issue.

You will have evaluated the risk you are will to take. You will be pulling a 5er with a dry weight of 2180 being pulled by 3/4 ton with around a 2000 pound payload. Being weighted at the accident site could happen but unlikely but by checking the VIN it could easily be proven you exceed the safety recommendations of the manufacturer. I was reading all this legal advice on the forums so I made an appointment with an attorney to get the correct information and it cost me 120.00 bucks to get the facts as seen by an accident attorney. I will say this he was well educated in RV and trucks being overloaded. The attorney used the example of 3/4 pulling a 5er exceeding the payload weighs.

My next stop after talking to the attorney I bought an umbrella policy to cover me in case of an accident. In my state, minimum coverage on medical is 25,000 per person and 50,000 per accident. You exceeded those with an ambulance ride and the couple hours in an emergency room. You could be held liable for amounts over the insurance limits. Driving big heavy RVs could cause a lot of injuries in an accident.

Call me weight police, over thinking, or just plain paranoid but to me is risk management that you are comfortable with.
    Dennis I really appreciate your efforts both for you and maybe even for our knowledge. I am easily under my truck payload limits but am bumping up against max GVW for the trailer, I think GD really needs to relook at these payload ratings and equipment they use. You made me think about an umbrella policy as well and I will be calling USAA this week. After 39 years of coverage with them I hope they can make me a deal. I already carry way more than the required minimums as it is. Thank you for relaying your investigations.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff