User Tag List

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Norcold 2 door ridiculous power draw

I'm going to be ripping out the norcold and replacing it with a residential this week. The power draw on this pig is completely ridiculous. I was in total shock when I saw the electric usage on my kilowatt device over the last few days. Our bills have been steady so it isn't a new thing. If you pay for your own electric, especially full-time, check your usage.

Comparison, residential fridge at our rates should be around $5 a month.

Norcold, almost $50 per month on electric.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180920_195305.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	15276
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That is high. I wonder what the cost is to run it on propane.

Jim

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran a quick experiment on mine using propane only twice( 2 different weeks). Dometic 4 door. I seemed to use around 8% a day. Might get 2 weeks out of a tank. That would equate to 2 fills at around 20 bucks each or 40 bucks a month. I only did it for a week. Don't feel like filling tanks all the time. I have seen some interesting threads on residential and would probably go that route if doing over.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    I ran a quick experiment on mine using propane only twice( 2 different weeks). Dometic 4 door. I seemed to use around 8% a day. Might get 2 weeks out of a tank. That would equate to 2 fills at around 20 bucks each or 40 bucks a month. I only did it for a week. Don't feel like filling tanks all the time. I have seen some interesting threads on residential and would probably go that route if doing over.

Yeah it's pretty crazy how inefficient these norcold units are.

If I'm going to pay 10x the energy cost I might as well just replace the fridge with residential and run an inverter. I always knew the norcold wasn't as efficient but 10x is ridiculous.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN