Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog Dirt

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dog Dirt

My wife and I travel quite a bit and I am hoping to get a word out for everyone to start cleaning up after their animals. The downside of not taking this responsibility is the future holds more rules and restrictions concerning traveling with pets. Not only is this true for RV parks and campgrounds but trails that we all love to hike for the experience of being outdoors.
    My wife and I went for a walk in a nature trail close by the RV park we are staying in and the amount of dog dirt on or about the trail was unbelievable. I'm not sure if the reasoning behind this exhibits the thought that we are out in the woods and the dog can do his duty to let nature absorb the dirt. I have seen trails that have dog bags for everyone to use as well.
    I am doing my best to approach this problem in as many forums and networks that I can. I would appreciate those of you feeling the same will use whatever platform you have to call attention to this problem with friends and fellow travelers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a pet peeve of mine as well but this really doesn't seem to be the proper place to start whining about it. I think that maybe one of the "off topic" areas or the "Pets" area might be more appropriate.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, inconsiderate people abound and will pass right over the topic. Good luck on your quest.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am moving this discussion to the "Pets" section (where there are several more like it).

To the non-pet owners . . . please consider that the only folks more annoyed at this than you are, are those of us who do clean up after our dogs. It is natural to blame the nearest dog and owner when you see this and they are often not the ones who didn't clean up.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody likes dog poop, not even dogs.

We have traveled to places where dogs are not longer allowed, something about protecting the water shed.

Here's one I don't get at all; Dog poop bags are provided at the trail head, so a person takes a bag, when the dog poops they pick up the poop in the bag, then tie it off and drop it on the trail and leave it.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no reason for people not to pick up their dogs poop. You can get holders that will attach to your dogs leash that will hold a roll of dog poop bags. That way no matter where you are you will have the means to pick it up. We have had them for years and they are not cumbersome at all.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Nobody likes dog poop, not even dogs.

We have traveled to places where dogs are not longer allowed, something about protecting the water shed.

Here's one I don't get at all; Dog poop bags are provided at the trail head, so a person takes a bag, when the dog poops they pick up the poop in the bag, then tie it off and drop it on the trail and leave it.
    Dallas, I agree with you and have observed the same thing, sometimes seeing the same bag a day or two later. I will often pick it up and dump it myself. But I may also be an offender. If my dogs do their duty early in the walk, and I know I’ll be turning around on this particular trail, I will sometimes bag it, drop it off to the side, and pick it up on the way back. Am I bad...?
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    Dallas, I agree with you and have observed the same thing, sometimes seeing the same bag a day or two later. I will often pick it up and dump it myself. But I may also be an offender. If my dogs do their duty early in the walk, and I know I’ll be turning around on this particular trail, I will sometimes bag it, drop it off to the side, and pick it up on the way back. Am I bad...?
    I don't think you're bad as long as you pick it up. I do think that tossing the bag along the trail encourages other less conscientious people to do the same. If it's difficult for you to carry maybe Fido could wear a little doggie pack and he could carry the bag.
    I see this happen in my residential neighborhood all the time. I even find a bag of pup poo in my yard sometimes. I guess that's better than not bagging it but still find it pretty rude.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't ya just hate it when a dog poops right under the poop bag station and the lazy owner can't even pick it up with a free bag almost in their face!
    Last winter at our park in FL a man came down the road walking with his dog, the dog poops and he started to walk away, I shouted asking if he needed a bag as he walked off. He did return with a bag and picked it up. Would he have if there were no witnesses?
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    I don't think you're bad as long as you pick it up. I do think that tossing the bag along the trail encourages other less conscientious people to do the same. If it's difficult for you to carry maybe Fido could wear a little doggie pack and he could carry the bag.
    I see this happen in my residential neighborhood all the time. I even find a bag of pup poo in my yard sometimes. I guess that's better than not bagging it but still find it pretty rude.
    Carrying it is not an issue for me, (just prefer not to for longer periods) and I do dexpending on the situation. Most of the trails we walk there are not many travelers at any given time. Hopefully I’m not encouraging bad decisions. We have a great trail across the street from our new home. There are volunteers that care for the trails. The first one we met is trying to sign us up. Told him maybe depending on availability. Funny coincidence, he had a nine year old Aussie, and it turned out to be one of our dogs litter mates.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast