User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GOAL - Get Out And Look, even with a spotter! I found that if I don't understand/agree with what the DW is telling me to do, GOAL. No arguing just trust but verify. If I'm flying solo I GOAL as many times as necessary and Don't worry about the audience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cchapin - you asked if there were other "morals to the story"..... here's mine. 1) If the driver cannot see the spotter in his mirror, stop immediately, get out and look! 2) IMO, a walkie-talkie has poor audio quality. Whoa sounds just like Go and there's a time delay after pressing the push-to-talk switch so sometimes you don't hear the first part of the transmission. My solution is hand signals only. Spotter sees my face in the mirror, holds her arm straight up (back straight up); arm pointing to curb side (move back of trailer to curb side); arm pointing to driver's side (move back of trailer to driver's side); arm lowered with palm facing me (stop). If you watch professional drag racing, this is how they direct the driver back to the starting line after the burnout. 3) If this is the worst that ever happens, you're doing great!
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS, purchased April 2018. 2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel (I need a bigger truck!). Oswego NY in the summer, Ft. Myers Beach, Fl in the winter. GD is my summer home. Previously owned: 2015 Rockwood 2604WS; 2012 KZ Stoneridge 43' toy hauler; 2005 Titanium 39' toy hauler.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I could be a candidate for that T-shirt. DW and I just giggled when we looked at it.

Sorry to hear about the mishap.

Just some random thoughts...
    > Practice makes perfect.
    > Having an automatic sliding hitch helps - a lot. Especially on a short bed. Manual slider is OK too; just don't be lazy - use it.
    > We mostly use a phone since I can talk without holding anything while backing (via Bluetooth radio in truck); it is more clear than radios; it is sooooo much better than hand signals and FRS. FRS and hand signals are used if no cell coverage.
    > When I can't see the DW I STOP. DW knows to get back in view.
    > I usually get out and walk the site before backing.
    > I never back without a spotter (why would anyone). Same applied with all types of RVs we've owned.
    > The DW (always the spotter) doesn't tell me how to drive/backup. She just spots and advise on proximity to things. That's her job. Mine is to steer/drive.
    > Just pay attention to your spotter and ignore others who like to "help" (fellow travelers, campground 'helpers', etc.).
    > No need to rush. No need to worry who is looking. Relax.
    > No need to get it backed in straight on the first try and no penalty for pulling forward frequently to re-orient truck & 5ver alignment.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Davey View Post
    Cchapin - you asked if there were other "morals to the story"..... here's mine. 1) If the driver cannot see the spotter in his mirror, stop immediately, get out and look! 2) IMO, a walkie-talkie has poor audio quality. Whoa sounds just like Go and there's a time delay after pressing the push-to-talk switch so sometimes you don't hear the first part of the transmission. My solution is hand signals only. Spotter sees my face in the mirror, holds her arm straight up (back straight up); arm pointing to curb side (move back of trailer to curb side); arm pointing to driver's side (move back of trailer to driver's side); arm lowered with palm facing me (stop). If you watch professional drag racing, this is how they direct the driver back to the starting line after the burnout. 3) If this is the worst that ever happens, you're doing great!
    This...always be able to see your spotter. I am deaf, well, cochlear implant but I cannot do walkies or phones. My wife is always in my sight, mirror or in front of the rig if I am positioning it at all. If I can't see her, I stop, and in the few cases where we lose eye contact, I stop and get out to figure out where coach is and where she needs to be to help me.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slow is faster. Take your time, verify. After many years DW still doesn't understand that she has to move around while spotting. But she is really good at yelling at me, so it works.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12