User Tag List

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Verify Stops BEFORE Hitting the Road (and other lessons learned)

A few lessons learned (so far) on our first real adventure (a four day trip to Virginia from Florida):

1) Campground telephone operators are cut from the same cloth as RV salesman. "Sure, you'll fit in our sites!" I should have looked at the campgrounds using Google Earth (or similar references) before making the reservation.

2) Don't rely on Garmin's BaseCamp mapping software. Good for a rough draft, but double-check all the planned stops based on what the Garmin provided as options. For example, a "rest area" in Virginia turned out to be a state road repair facility (along I-81) and a Pilot "truck stop" was just a normal gas station--no way the dually and 315 combo was going to fit in there!

3) When doing something different, SLOW DOWN and talk it out with the DW to make sure I'm not doing something dumb. Case in point: I'd never come across a "satellite pump" at a gas station. I had to run the credit card as normal but then I had to remove the diesel handle, lift the lever, and then lay the handle on the ground. (!) I then walked around the truck and lifted the satellite handle off it's receiver to actually pump diesel. Can you see what's going to happen? If you guessed I drove away with the original handle still on the ground you are correct. Remember, the lever was lifted so the pump (and my credit line) was still active. We had pulled to the back of the facility to walk the dogs when out-of-the-blue it hit me what I'd done. I hot-footed it across the parking lot and sure enough, the pump was still active but thankfully no one had pulled up. (Whew.)

4) Don't assume just because it is an "RV Campground" that the owner has made traffic accommodations. When I turned into a campground in Tennessee I judged I'd have to make a quick left turn across traffic (typical two lane highway) because trucks were barreling down the road the other direction. Naturally the entrance was on a semi-blind corner, so as I approached I watched the oncoming lane closely. No vehicles were within sight so I gunned the truck and swung into the driveway. It was then I discovered the entrance was a single lane! The registration office was right there with a ditch on the right and trees on the left so there was nowhere to go other than the one lane entrance. When Fran went to register and I sat there thinking it dawned on me--what would I have done it there was someone sitting there (in front of the office in their rig) when I turned? It could have been real ugly. So the lesson: even if I have to stop first, I must ensure there is room to get completely off the road before turning in front of traffic.

5) Someone (I think one of the Robs) mentioned in a post about scouting the departure route the night before. That lesson saved my bacon. The exit to one campground had a major dip in the road and there was a lot of evidence from rigs bottoming out. I'd have lost my ladder holder for sure. (We went out the entrance!)

6) Did I mention that I need to look at Google Earth (or maps) to verify stops? I missed an entrance to a campground and of course the road dead-ended with only a senior assisted-living facility to turn in to. I think Bingo had just let out, because there was a line of cars departing and we were blocking everyone in. What a disaster. I couldn't turn around as there wasn't enough room, so I backed out the way we came in, swinging the rear of the camper into the road with Fran watching for traffic.

7) All rest areas are not created equal. Some of the rest areas along I-81 in Virginia must have been designed in the 1960s when there were 10 vehicles on the interstate. Good grief what a stress-filled stop to rest! My truck and trailer almost didn't fit between the maze of vehicles trying to park on both sides of the access road (and all the parking was parallel). Lesson learned? You guessed it--verify the stop using Google Earth before hitting the road!

Should be a fun-filled workcation during our stay in Virginia. If any of you are in the North 340 Campground in Waynesboro stop and say hello! You can't miss our 315 and truck. We've already spotted a couple of Solitudes, a Momentum and an Imagine in the park.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW. You sure get to have all the fun(haha). It seems everyday must be a learning day.
    But you are still camping. Have fun guys.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just arrived at North 340 Campground today. We are on our way back to PA from Disney World so only staying here one night. What a difference in weather from their to here. Had to change route due to 95 being closed because of Hurricane but the travel wasn't to bad.
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yobigal View Post
    We just arrived at North 340 Campground today. We are on our way back to PA from Disney World so only staying here one night. What a difference in weather from their to here. Had to change route due to 95 being closed because of Hurricane but the travel wasn't to bad.
    Have a safe trip home, Allen & Denise. If you see a woman walking a white Poodle and a tiny Pomeranian around the park this morning that's Fran--say "Hi"!. (I'll be at work.)
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)