Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flag etiquette

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flag etiquette

So I plan on buying a flag pole and flying the Canadian flag stateside. Personally I think it’s a privilege to be able to travel within my neighbour to the souths borders. I don’t wanna be on the wrong side of disrespecting anyone. Can anyone advise if I would be okay if I chose to fly both my Canadian flag and the US flag, I was however planning to fly the US flag higher than my home flag out of respect and I believe I read your flag laws that state that no foreign flag should fly higher. I was also planning on two flag poles, as I don’t think anyones flag should share the same pole.

Thanks,

Chad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 GMC 3500HD
    2021 Montana High Country 385BR
    2018 GMC 2500 HD (Traded in)
    2019 GD312BHTS (written off by fallen tree RIP)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen several times where the Canadian flag was flown by itself and no one seemed upset by it, but your plan to fly both flags is a good one. You are correct that no other nation's flag should fly above the US flag, flying another flag at the same height is allowed.

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html#175
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    I have seen several times where the Canadian flag was flown by itself and no one seemed upset by it, but your plan to fly both flags is a good one. You are correct that no other nation's flag should fly above the US flag, flying another flag at the same height is allowed.

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html#175
    I agree the Canadian flag should be flown at the same height as the Amercian flag.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’ve seen many Canadian flags flown in our travels, and it is no issue. You should not feel compelled to fly the US flag either. The times I’ve seen both flown on a rig one of the couple was American and the other Canadian.

If you choose to fly both the previously stated protocols are correct. Enjoy your visit to our country!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not under any obligation to fly the US flag, but I, for one, appreciate the gesture.

Just FWIW, my Wife is a Brit and I like to fly the Union Jack alongside Old Glory. Usually, I fly two small flags, US and UK, on the pin box. I also have a mast on my ladder that extends to elevate a directional cell antenna. I usually fly the Army or MIA/POW flag from it, but try to fly the US or UK flags on holidays or if I just feel like it. These days, especially, I think it is important to show our pride and affection for our great country.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chad,

I think flying a flag on your RV comes from the maritime history where every vessel in international waters is required to fly the flag of their home country. When in the waters of another country, flying a courtesy flag of that country is customary. You are correct that two flags should never share the same pole . . . although you often see this done on parked RVs. We fly just the Canadian flag to identify where we are from and have never had any negative comments on this.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No issues with what you're proposing, Chad. In fact, I appreciate the goodwill gesture of including the stars and bars. I think we may do something similar next time we take a trip to Canada. We love visiting the Banff / Lake Louise / Jasper area.
    Steve and Cheryl

2017 Momentum 328M w/Dual Pane Windows and 3rd A/C. Aftermarket mods: Titan EOH Disc Brakes, MORryde IS suspension and Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder pin box
    2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn Megacab 4x4 DRW with 6.7 HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, AISIN trans, 3.73 axles and a Reese 20K puck mount hitch
    Call sign: AAØSB, Class: Extra

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luv2Ski View Post
    No issues with what you're proposing, Chad. In fact, I appreciate the goodwill gesture of including the stars and bars. I think we may do something similar next time we take a trip to Canada. We love visiting the Banff / Lake Louise / Jasper area.
    Thank for the info. My only issue is believe that no two flags should share a pole but I don't really wanna buy two flag pole buddies as the flags may get tangled up. Ill have to figure that one out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In retrospect, if I were to visit Canada, would I be wrong to fly the U. S. flag in front of my trailer?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would only fly the flag of the country you are from. I think the confusion in flag etiquette starts when you try to fly both. I for one would not take offence to see you fly the Canadian flag while you are in the states. Come on down and visit us. Show us who you are. We will welcome you.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res