User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you handle VA healthcare?

I know there are quite a few military veterans here and I have a question that may have been discussed before. I was wondering, how do you handle your healthcare and medication shipments? At the moment, I still live in Vegas. However, I'm planning on going full-time in Feburary. I'm concerned with maintaining my healthcare and medications. What do you do?

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you go to the VA website, there is a pretty good page that describes VA healthcare for traveling veterans. Here's a link:

https://www.va.gov/HEALTHBENEFITS/ac...mless_care.asp

Your service to our country is appreciated.

Jim

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going full-time could be a problem for someone using only VA healthcare. As far as I know you have to have a primary care doctor. To have a primary care doctor you need a home clinic which I believe requires a permanent address. To be able to keep your prescriptions updated you have to see your doctor/s. I know I have to see mine twice a year and you never get to see them all in the same week..

The traveling veterans portion is geared for someone wanting to take a trip. I have used that when we go to Florida and still need a test or a recheck . All that has to be done by your primary care Dr. initiating the order. I still have a permanent address. Using a full time box could have you using that areas VA as your home clinic.

For my medications I do a temporary change of address which can be done on line. Always being on the move your meds catching up to you could be a problem. Getting a 3 month supply does help. We plan around the 3 month supply and the routine Drs visits

The VA doesn't send the meds out when you order them but ship them when they think they are due by the last time you ordered them. I have been able to pick some up at another VA other than the one I am registered at but I had to go there and register and apply for an emergency prescription because I was running out. That can eat up the better part of a day. I'm registered at 3 different VA med centers, but only 1 can be your primary.

I would suggest you ask your primary care doctor how it could be handled and go to registration and ask them also. I get all my healthcare through the VA and spend 5 to 6 months in Florida plus travel after that. Before we leave for Florida I will see my doctors and make an appointment for 6 months later then start traveling after that.

I hope your plans work out.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mirawood,

Are you retired and opted for VA healthcare (eligible for Tricare) or are you a non-retired veteran without a Tricare option? I ask because we have Tricare and, with the Escapees Mail Service and using Express Scripts for meds, it's working very well for us while full-timing.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

How do you handle VA healthcare?

I’m a Veteran but didn’t retire from the military, so I’m not sure what coverage it is that I have, but it’s free.
    I visit a VA clinic once a year for a check up and about once every 5 or 6 years when I get sick.
    I don’t take any medications so no need for those services.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    I’m a Veteran but didn’t retire from the military, so I’m not sure what coverage it is that I have, but it’s free.
    I visit a VA clinic once a year for a check up and about once every 5 or 6 years when I get sick.
    I don’t take any medications so no need for those services.

That means you just have VA health care and are not eligible for Tricare (a health coverage plan for active duty, retired and family members).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    That means you just have VA health care and are not eligible for Tricare (a health coverage plan for active duty, retired and family members).

Rob
    Ah ok.

Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off topic to the off topic, many thanks to all in here who do or have served. As a home health provider I feel for y'all for the aggravation and red tape associated with navigating the VA system.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, thanks for that info. For the next 18 months I am using US Family Health Plan and mail order from Maxor. Not sure what and how much changes when I am 65.
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Jim for the information and link. I appreciate it.

Bonnie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast