User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Parking at Mt Rushmore, even on a motorcycle sucks.

So
    Tax wise, what needs to be done? Is there State tax? Any other concerns?
    Ken I've been told by a National Park Ranger that the only place in the nation that my (all of our) Senior Pass is not honored is Mt. Rushmore. They tell you that they're not charging to enter, that they're only charging for parking. But there isn't any parking available within miles.

In South Dakota you only file Federal income tax. There isn't any state income tax like I had in California or you have in Oregon. By the way, just thinking about the last time you and I rode together......I arrived in Lodi, Calif. this afternoon. Just down the mountain from where we last rode.

If you workamp then you will have to file state income tax for whatever state(s) you worked in. I'm thinking they should be negligible since you're only working a few hours a week and any payroll you're getting is usually minimum wage for that few hours. So far, everywhere that we've workamped we've been told that we would not be 1099 for the value of the space and the hookups.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parking at Mt Rushmore, even on a motorcycle sucks.

So
    Tax wise, what needs to be done? Is there State tax? Any other concerns?
    No state income tax.
    4.5% state sales tax + county sales tax.
    4.0% state sales tax for vehicles and rv’s. Taxes paid up to 4% in other states will not be retaxed.
    Box Elder in Pennington County has no county sales tax.
    Get an address with Americas mailbox, get a drivers license, register to vote, register your vehicles, conduct healthcare and insurance transactions, sell or rent your previous home, and establish your domicile in the great state of SD.
    Kevin & May - Baltimore, MD
    2018 Ford F-250 Platinum FX4 Diesel
    2019 Grand Design, Reflection 297RSTS
    2016 CVO Harley Davidson, Road Glide Ultra

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog55 View Post
    No state income tax.
    4.5% state sales tax + county sales tax.
    4.0% state sales tax for vehicles and rv’s. Taxes paid up to 4% in other states will not be retaxed.
    Box Elder in Pennington County has no county sales tax.
    Get an address with Americas mailbox, get a drivers license, register to vote, register your vehicles, conduct healthcare and insurance transactions, sell or rent your previous home, and establish your domicile in the great state of SD.
    Great info to have. Thanks for posting. In NM the sales tax on vehicles and RVs is 3% and vehicle registration is dirt cheap, but they have an income tax. I own places in AZ and NM, so I try to use the best each state has to offer when I can to save money. It's always the overall picture that you're looking for and from everything I'm reading these days SD seems like a great overall state for residency.

I have to admit though that I am getting tired of all the upkeep with all this crap I own and I'm about ready to sell it all and hit the road. One more to get through college and she's a junior this year, thank the good Lord.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are trying to decide if we want to drop Oregon and do the South Dakota Domicile. I have been an Oregonian my whole life.

We have a few more years of moving all the stuff in the refrigerator to the stick house refrigerator. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are trying to decide if we want to drop Oregon and do the South Dakota Domicile. I have been an Oregonian my whole life.

We have a few more years of moving all the stuff in the refrigerator to the stick house refrigerator. KEN
    Ken we had that dilemma also. Being the rare breed of native Californian, it was all I knew. And the concept of changing domain made sense on paper but in my mind it felt like we were going backwards. Hindsight being what it is.....smart move and no regrets. I have asked other full timers about it and I've not heard one person yet say "I wish we hadn't".

Not sure why.....but at the time it seemed scarry.....kind of like the decision to go full time did before we did it. And stressful to no end. But glad we did both....surprised at how easy it was at Americas Mailbox (they do everything for you except drivers license) and how quick it was. In one morning we were done with all of it! The only thing you have to remember is to get the RV park receipt (or motel receipt) with both of your legal names and take it with you.

Are you coming to the Grand Design Central California rally? Babe and I will be doing a presentation on the full time lifestyle....changing our domain, vehicle registrations, vehicle insurance, medical insurance, workamping for your space and full hookups, etc. Come on down and bring your bike.....we can go ride some of those same roads again!
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    Ken we had that dilemma also. Being the rare breed of native Californian, it was all I knew. And the concept of changing domain made sense on paper but in my mind it felt like we were going backwards. Hindsight being what it is.....smart move and no regrets. I have asked other full timers about it and I've not heard one person yet say "I wish we hadn't".

Not sure why.....but at the time it seemed scarry.....kind of like the decision to go full time did before we did it. And stressful to no end. But glad we did both....surprised at how easy it was at Americas Mailbox (they do everything for you except drivers license) and how quick it was. In one morning we were done with all of it! The only thing you have to remember is to get the RV park receipt (or motel receipt) with both of your legal names and take it with you.

Are you coming to the Grand Design Central California rally? Babe and I will be doing a presentation on the full time lifestyle....changing our domain, vehicle registrations, vehicle insurance, medical insurance, workamping for your space and full hookups, etc. Come on down and bring your bike.....we can go ride some of those same roads again!
    Thanks JCZ. We won't be going down to the rally. I just got back to work after a 10 day vacation at the Oregon Coast (with bike).

Oregon vehicle registration is pretty inexpensive compared to other states. The bike was $78.00 for 2 years. I thin the Momentum was close to $300.00. The bad thing is Oregon State TAX.
    JC. Do you remember what the SD registration was for your 376? KEN
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks JCZ. We won't be going down to the rally. I just got back to work after a 10 day vacation at the Oregon Coast (with bike).

Oregon vehicle registration is pretty inexpensive compared to other states. The bike was $78.00 for 2 years. I thin the Momentum was close to $300.00. The bad thing is Oregon State TAX.
    Ken - attached link to SD vehicle registration, title, license, etc. fees with link to the proper sections detailing costs. The one time 4% registration fee is applicable on purchase price or trade price difference.

http://dor.sd.gov/Motor_Vehicles/Fee...istration.aspx

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ken I don't remember what the RV was alone but for the RV, truck and bike and late fees on all three it was $476. That's far less than the truck alone, in California. But the real savings is no state income tax!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    Ken - attached link to SD vehicle registration, title, license, etc. fees with link to the proper sections detailing costs. The one time 4% registration fee is applicable on purchase price or trade price difference.

http://dor.sd.gov/Motor_Vehicles/Fee...istration.aspx

Dan
    Am I reading that right? They charge a 4% excise tax when you first register your vehicle in SD?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    Ken I don't remember what the RV was alone but for the RV, truck and bike and late fees on all three it was $476. That's far less than the truck alone, in California. But the real savings is no state income tax!
    Was that for 1 year or 2? Thanks, KEN
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast