User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

South Dakota Domicle

Does anyone on this forum use Americas Mailbox in Rapid City for their mail? If we go ahead and set up mail forwarding with them does that give us our permanent address? We want to domicile in SD but it will be spring of 2019 before we will probably be able to go there to get our residency( only because of weather). Our home will go up for sale this November and Steve retires Jan. 4th 2019. Or would it be best just to wait to do everything when we get to Rapid City? Thanks Tara
    Steve & Tara Smiley
    2014 3500 HD Silverado
    2017 Reflection 27RL

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would be a great question to ask over on the Escapees forums - decades of experience and a lot of full-timers over there:

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?act=idx

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can set up mail forwarding at anytime.

To establish residency among other things requires spending a night, getting a South Dakota drivers license,
    transferring vehicle registration, ...
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, there are many Grand Design owners and especially Momentum owners on the facebook Momentum groups that use Americas Mailbox in Box Elder (Rapid City). It was amazingly easy.

You spend one night in an RV park or motel and get both of your legal names on the receipt. Go in to Americas Mailbox the next morning and they take care of the rest of it. You can set up mail forwarding ahead of time, if you'd like. But to change your domain you have to go in, in person. They will give you a legal address (accepted and used by banks and the federal government such as Social Security) and will also handle your vehicle registrations and voter registration (absentee ballot). It was/is cheaper for me to register my truck, 42' RV and Harley in South Dakota.....all three for less than I paid in California just for my truck!

They also have an auto insurance agent that will help you with vehicle insurance for full timers. Then they'll send you over to Motor Vehicle for your drivers license. You bring your valid drivers license from your current state and walk out 15-20 minutes later with a South Dakota license. No driver or written test if your current license is valid. Very easy and very quick. And, they give you your license right there, not mail it to you like in Calif.

You do not have to return every year for vehicle inspections or for other reasons, like other states. You just sign a statement that says you'll return to South Dakota when you quit traveling.

We were very surprised at just how quick and how easy it is.

We actually met other Grand Design owners there at Americas Mailbox the last time we were there, that were just going full time and we stay in touch with them. They're not on this forum but are on the Momentum facebook groups.

If you have any questions, shoot me a message and I'll try to help.

**EDIT**

There may be other full timers on other Grand Design facebook pages.....my experience is with Momentum because that's the model that we own.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone! JCZhome great info, Thank you! So if we go ahead and get our mailing address now , that would stay the same when we get our residency?Tara
    Steve & Tara Smiley
    2014 3500 HD Silverado
    2017 Reflection 27RL

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjsmiley72 View Post
    Thanks everyone! JCZhome great info, Thank you! So if we go ahead and get our mailing address now , that would stay the same when we get our residency?Tara
    Yes it would. Give them a call.....they'll answer all of your questions like they did for me (I was still living and working in California when I first contacted them.....now we live where ever this RV is parked). As many times as we read on forums and facebook groups about how easy it was, we walked out of the Motor Vehicle mid-morning that day, with new license in hand and I asked Babe "what do we have to do now?". She said "that's it.....we're all done with everything". I kept thinking "there must be something that we're forgetting"......it's just that easy. In California we would not get all of that done in one day, let alone just a couple hours.

Oh yes......Americas Mailbox has a small RV park and a few motel rooms on site, just for this purpose. I'm going to send you a private message.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great thanks! Tara
    Steve & Tara Smiley
    2014 3500 HD Silverado
    2017 Reflection 27RL

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you make plans to go to Americas Mailbox, you might want to make plans to spend a week or two in the area. We just went back for the second time in a year. We spent two months there and we still haven't done all that there is to do in the Black Hills....Mt. Rushmore, Needles Highway, Deadwood, Custer State Park for all the buffalo, Iron Mountain Rd. and that's all free! Well, except the parking at Mt. Rushmore.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parking at Mt Rushmore, even on a motorcycle sucks.

So
    Tax wise, what needs to be done? Is there State tax? Any other concerns?
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes we plan on staying for a while when we go out there. It is beautiful out there! We haven't been out there since 2005!! Wow how time flies!
    Steve & Tara Smiley
    2014 3500 HD Silverado
    2017 Reflection 27RL

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast