User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great! Glad to help. Have fun out there.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rusted dump valve mechanism

Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    Great! Glad to help. Have fun out there.
    I got the valves to operate by breaking them free and lubricating them with WD 40. The problem became obvious after this procedure. The inside of the tubes that the valve stems slide thru are rusting. When I close the valve and reopen it the stem is covered with rust ( the WD 40 has loosened the rust ). I clean the stem, which is smooth and in good shape, push the stem in, and when I pull it back out, it is covered with rust again. I am certain when the trailer is not used for a few weeks, the rust dries up, and the valves stick. Now that I understand the problem, I can effectively deal with it. However, this is a new trailer. This should not be happening. The tubes should not be a ferrous material. In my mind, this is a warranty/ design issue. Has anyone else experienced this rust issue? I am going to contact GD about this. Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. The DH.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put some white lithium grease on the stems and it seems to have prevented further corrosion. The problem has not occurred again, although as I said I now “check” for it weekly and before each trip.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cchapin100 - Good to learn that you have this solved . . . or at least have a work-around plan. GDRV recently changed from Valterra gate valves and pull cables to similar parts from Lasalle Bristol. Others have reported problems with Lasalle Bristol systems, on this forum. If you can confirm which system you have (I know that Valterra has their name on the pull handles) this would be good info for us . . . and for you to "discuss" with GDRV.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, we’ve had our TT for one year, two months. The valves have always caused us difficulty. Not just us, the person we paid to pump us out (2x), and the dealer tech who got a little surprise when he removed the cap. When another dealer replaced our black tank valve, we had an honest discussion with the tech, who was happy to suggest several things.
    First, nothing goes in the tank in powder/granular form.
    Second, nothing that will degrade the lube these tight gaskets have on them.
    So our takeaway was to stop using grease-cutting dish detergent, use only liquid odor control/decomp products.
    We also bought some Thetford Drain valve lube and followed directions.
    Our last fix will take about a week to try. We bought a twist-on valve to install between the pipe outlet and cap. In reviews, it was suggested to fill the drains with water or gray water (we plan to use the lube) so BOTH sides of the other 3 valves stay lubed/don’t dry out. We are due to dump next weekend, using the trailer Oct 8-12, at a site with sewer hookup. So, we’ll see if this helps.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12