User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help! Pull handles for tanks

Hi, we had a successful first trip. However when we were leaving today and unhooking from water and sewer, we could NOT get the black water tank lever or the number 2 grey water lever to pull open on our new 2018 Solitude. The number 1 grey tank lever pulled open fine. We tried so,e borrowed WD-40 from next campsite, didn’t help. DH did not want to keep reefing on them and break something. DH drove the rig 1400 miles with brother a few weeks ago and dumped a few times no problem but today a no go and we had to drive home 2 hours with 2 of the three tanks full. We have called mobile service guy but Friday night, not sure when he will be returning our call. We are in SoCal so it is hot and the tank lever unit was on the sunny side for 4 days. Any ideas? Thanks. (I will show DH your replies as this is way above my pay grade).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad condition on a new trailer. However nothing is tested at the factory. The dealer I suppose is responsible to check out systems before walk thru or delivery. Our fresh water tank had a gushing leak on our first trip, would not hold a thimble full of water.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to be condescending, are you sure they weren't already open? I'm guessing they are if your tanks are full, but had to ask.

I have trouble with two of mine, I ordered new Valterra dump valves for my grey and black tanks and plan on swapping them out when I can fit it in my schedule. I foresee one of my tank valve cables is going to break sooner or later.

Mine is a 2017 with LaSalle Bristol valves, I'm not sure what the newer units use,but I'm making the switch to Valterra.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cchapin100 - The last time that all three gate valves opened and closed correctly, did the problem valves "feel" any different. Were they harder to close? Have you added anything to the two tanks that won't open (but not the third tank) that could have swollen the gate valve seals?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DH says he totally appreciates any advice, no worries. He has dumped before and they are definitely stuck in the in/closed position. He got one out but not the other two. Maybe some corrosion causing friction against seal? Although 2018 we know this unit was at shows and was based in Idaho—snow, etc. Now it’s in hot SoCal. Anyway DH says he will take ANY and all advice, no worries, thank you! He isn’t sure what type of valves we have but will check it out from your comments, thanks much.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If these are the handles in the basement, I had a similar thing happen with mine. I accidentally had the black valve open when I uncoupled the black flush line. A small dribble of water got on the handle stem, which did not concern me. I then closed the valve. Three weeks later the valve would not open. A small but strong bit of corrosion had started between the handle stem and the threaded shaft (whatever it is called). I got it moving again by restraining the threaded shaft with channel locks while rotating the handle stem with another set of channel locks. Just a little twist broke it free. I then cleaned and lubricated it. I now wiggle the stems (rotate them slightly) each time I check on the trailer and prior to any trips. I also break the black flush line connection at the other end of the hose now.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, last time operated as expected, slid in and out ok. However this is only the third time dumping. Only thing added to black water was the disinfectant packets. Otherwise just regular sink stuff on grey. It has been in 100s here, it came from colder climate to down here. We are still trying to get hooked up with repair guy that will do warranty work since we have only owned it a month. We are newbies and just learning. Thanks much for any help.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, DH will try that! Right now we’re parked at our house for only 72 hours, would like to get this fixed and go dump at the truck stop before moving to storage.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cchapin100 - I would try the advice from backtrack2015 . . . try lubricating and twisting the handle a slight amount back and forth to see if there is corrosion at the handle end. Part of the problem is that you don't know if it is the gate valve sticking or the pull handle sticking. The pull handle has about 6" of shaft that is a snug fit to the outer cable and beyond that the pull wire is a much looser fit in the outer cable. Unfortunately, the only way to sort this out for sure is to drop the underbelly coroplast to determine whether it is the cable or the gate valve that is sticking.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Backtrack, your solution seems to have worked as far as we can tell. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast