User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sister and brother-in-law had a ball break one time when they were towing their pontoon from Mich. to KY. Because of the chains they were able to move onto the shoulder of the freeway letting the trailer bring them to a stop. Another motorist stopped to help and drove my brother-in-law into town to buy a new ball. After putting on the new ball they continued their trip with no damage.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just purchased a new GD 303rls and we purchased the Anderson hitch along with the chains and hooks. We purchased everything from amazon. The chains and hooks come separate. We love it and it’s very easy to install. We just decided to do the chains because of different rules in each state or province. Our dealer wouldn’t let us leave the lot without the chains on. We live in Ontario.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure seems like a no-brainer to spend the extra $50-$100 to avoid the potential hassle and the extra security provided. Not sure why this is even an issue.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid1 View Post
    Sure seems like a no-brainer to spend the extra $50-$100 to avoid the potential hassle and the extra security provided. Not sure why this is even an issue.
    Exactly. I have the chains now; they are not hard to hook or unhook and I don't have to worry about dealing with a trooper who may or may not be correct about the law in their state. Cheap insurance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Steve and Peggy
    Based in beautiful East Tennessee
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid1 View Post
    Yep,

I elected to do the drilled holes in the base of the hitch for the Ford Pucks rather than using the Andersen Plate that connects to the ball for the safety chains. If the ball fails then the pucks will still hold. Plus the drilled holes with the pucks installed helps in keeping the hitch from rotating. Simple to connect.

Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered a Goose Box hitch last week...along with a set of safety chains. I was a cop for 30 years. I'm not taking any chances of running into a rookie trying to make a name for himself or some hard ****** who wants to cite for anything he can find. If a cop has probable cause to believe that you've violated some law he can cite you...whether he's actually right or not. Then you have the option of going before a judge to argue your case in some courthouse that may not be conveniently located. No thanks. Chains are on the hitch = no issues. For $50 it's not worth it to me to take a chance and argue that I'm right and the cop's wrong. And I won't even go into the ramifications of having a trailer separate and then it's found you should have had safety chains but didn't.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why should safety chains be required if 1) they are not required for any other fifth wheel hitch and 2) why required if there is a break-away break attached?
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    Why should safety chains be required if 1) they are not required for any other fifth wheel hitch and 2) why required if there is a break-away break attached?
    Right or wrong some states laws require safety chains for ball type hitches, the AUH has a ball. Ball type hitches again maybe right or wrong are considered to be less secure than king pin type.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Additionally, these chain requirement regulations were promulgated and implemented long before the Pullrite and Andersen were designed. Another example of our laws not keeping up with technology.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The break-away has nothing to do with it. All my regular gooseneck trailers over the years have had break-away switches on them and all still required safety chains. I wasn't a traffic cop, and I don't want to be stuck somewhere arguing with one about the safety chain issue. I know how they can be. To each his own, but I have better things to do and the safety chains will go on as soon as I mount the hitch.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast