User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just 2 cents here but the issue may be the thru hole in the center of the rim aligning with the hub on the axel.
    If the upgrade to a bigger outer bearing and larger hub this may make the center hole in the wheel too small for the fitment onto the hub.

Would maybe check this. (hope I explained this right)

Brian

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ucwinters View Post
    RobM,

I'm in the same situation as you - getting the Performance Braking disc brakes installed in a couple of weeks at the San Antonio rally. Michael had suggested the same upgrade(s) to me and said that the OEM rims would fit the larger 9/16" studs. Since they do this all the time, I tend to believe him. Will email him and again confirm that there will be no fit issues.
    Mine did not fit. The studs were too big for the stud holes. I tried them myself. The OEM wheels have steel inserts in the stud holes. The only way the OEM wheels would fit the 9/16" studs was to remove the inserts. If you do this, you have a steel tapered lug nut tightening against a tapered aluminum stud hole. The lugs will never stay tight. Also on mine the lug nut was too big to fit into the stud hole. I would have had to go with a 9/16" lug nut with a small outside diameter. Too much "Jerry Rigging" for me.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Randy,

Did you install the Performance (Titan) Braking system or the Kodiak? Also, do you believe that by upgrading to the 8K axles that this might have affected the fit of the larger studs? I'm always looking for other's input to help guide me to make the right decision. Thanks for the info about the steel inserts in the stud holes as I wasn't aware of that.
    Ed & Charlotte W.
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R
    2017 Chevy 3500HD 2wd DRW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Randy,

Did you install the Performance (Titan) Braking system or the Kodiak? Also, do you believe that by upgrading to the 8K axles that this might have affected the fit of the larger studs? I'm always looking for other's input to help guide me to make the right decision. Thanks for the info about the steel inserts in the stud holes as I wasn't aware of that.
    Hi Ed...Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. We went to bed early last night and have been on the road all day today. What I did was, I got rid of the 7K Lippert axles and installed 8k Dexter axles, springs and brakes. The 7K Lippert axles had 1/2" studs. The 8K Dexter axles have 9/16" studs. The 9/16" studs would not fit through the stud holes on the OEM wheels. The OEM wheels have tapered steel inserts in the stud holes, which many aluminum wheels have. The hole the inserts fits into is also tapered so as the lug nut is tightened it presses the insert tighter into the wheel. If the insert is removed the 9/16" studs will fit into the stud hole but it is not meant to work this way. The aluminum taper is not the same as the lug nut and you will be tightening the lug nut against the aluminum which will not hold up. If the insert would have been big enough for the 9/16" studs everything else would have been OK. The spacing was right and the center hole was big enough. I hope this helps and I'm answering your questions. If not through them at me again and I will give it another try. I think, if they say the OME wheels will fit their 9/16" studs and they do tis all the time have them show you before the install. Maybe some of the OEM wheels are different than mine. I did sell my OEM wheel for $350.00 so I got some of my money back

Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,

2018 Solitude 375res

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Randy,

Thanks for the response/explanation. One last question - which disc brake kit did you use, the Performance/Titan or the Kodiak?

Thanks!
    Ed & Charlotte W.
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Randy,

Thanks for the response/explanation. One last question - which disc brake kit did you use, the Performance/Titan or the Kodiak?

Thanks!
    I stayed with the Dexter drum brakes. The 8K Dexter brakes have twice the braking surface as the 7K Lippert brakes and do a really good job. They may not be as good as the disc brakes some are using but they will stop the trailer. You can always feel the trailer brakes doing their job. I also went with Nev-R-Lube bearings to get away from having any grease related brake problems.

Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,

2018 Solitude 375res

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Randy,

Thanks for the update/additional info. The OEM brakes are doing their job but I can see some trips to mountainous areas in our trip plans for the next year and want to upgrade to the disc brakes. My current axles are the 7K Dexter and appear to have no deformation - since I have the small Solitude will leave these alone (for now).
    I plan to call on Monday the guy that will be in charge of the actual installation and discuss the concerns about the fit w/ the 9/16" studs and if necessary will just stay w/ the 1/2" studs.

Thanks again,

Ed
    Ed & Charlotte W.
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to bring closure here...had the disc brake install done in my driveway today. Couldnt be happier with the top notch service of Performance Trailer Braking and “John and Barbara”, the installers. The 9/16 inch studs fit the OEM wheels fine. I had a heavy duty shackle and wet bolt kit also installed. I already had the Moryde Equaflex equalizer with wet bolts, but the most forward and aft bolts on the spring hangers were not wet bolts, nor correct track...just straight non-greasable bolts. John showed me the bushings on these bolts....severe wear-thru on several areas of the bushing. The trailer has about 5000 miles on it, so if your bolts are non-greasable, they may deserve some attention.
    RobM
    2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 L5P, Transfer Flow 35 Gal Aux Fuel Tank, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau Cover
    2018 Solitude 310-GKR, Curt Q-20 puck system hitch, TST TPMS 507, Titan discs

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had asked about the 9/16 bolts and OEM wheels. On our 2016 Solitude they fit fine. Thanks for the great info on this sute..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am planing on having the up grade to 8000lb axles, springs, and disc brakes, this spring. I installed disc brakes on my last trailer myself, I loved them better braking less maintenance ( don't have to adjust the brakes every couple thousand miles) lower brake controller adjustment. More piece of mind. Can't wait to get it done. Tried to get them installed before I took delivery of the trailer but the dealers will not touch the install. There are a couple of trailer companies that will install the at the factory. The best thing I did on my old trailer, best thing on this trailer too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12