Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anderson Ultimate Hitch Torque specs for the 3220 Aluminum hitch

I know I've seen this somewhere but can't find it right now. The Anderson Ultimate 3220 manual says 50 ft. lbs. of torque for the top bolt and 40 for the side bolts. However, I thought I saw somewhere that the top bolt should actually be 70 ft. lbs. I've searched this forum but was unable to find a reference but I know I've seen something on it.

This video link says 60 for both top and sides https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjTuq_kc9M

Right now, I have the top bolt at 60 and the side ones at 50 but am questioning whether I should go back to 50 for the top and 40 for the sides?

What is the impact of slightly over-torquing the bolts?

Thanks
    Frank and Harriett
    2018 303 RLS, Feb 2018 Build
    2009 2500HD Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Short Bed
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I called them they told me 60 lbs for top bolt and 40 lbs for side bolts. That’s what I’ve been using as long as I’ve had mine.

The critical torque is the top bolt.

The side bolts at 40-60 lbs should not make a difference. Those bolts only snug the sliding Chanel to the outer Chanel.

I also have mine on my Bedrug Bedliner. I had to cut holes in the Bedrug for the gooseball and pucks. I also cut holes in the Andersen base plate to accommodate the Ford safety chain pucks.

Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might of seen the 70 ft. lb. number as another member here had a post recently about his Andersen hitch shifting somewhat in the bed of his pickup. He called Andersen and they said to use the 70 ft. lb. torque.

When I bought our Andersen 3 years ago the torque value was 50 ft. lbs. From following the discussions on various forums, I learned that Andersen had increased that value to 60 ft. lbs. Kinda of "torqued" me a little as I bought my hitch directly from Andersen so they have my contact information. No reason they didn't reach out to us previous owners to advise us of the new torque values.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW