User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Onan 5500W gen and dual A/C

Thought I would post a little update about my new 375RES and the generator. I had the dealer install the Onan 5500 watt LP genset before delivery last week. My coach did not have the generator prep pkg but they can duplicate it. Anyways, I was up at my storage place this morning starting to reload all the junk from the previous trailer. It's hot and muggy so I fire up the generator and turn on both 15K ac units and it pulls them no problem at all! Also had pretty much every inside light on as well and it never sounded like it was really working, nice. If anyone is on the fence about one it is definitely powerful enough to run the whole coach, as long as you keep it in propane I guess lol.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you also run your Onan on gasoline if you get low on propane?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Can you also run your Onan on gasoline if you get low on propane?
    No it is propane only but I have a pretty healthy supply of LP bottles. They put 2 40 pounders in it for me in the deal and I kept the standard 2 30 pounders. I also have 2 new 30 pound bottles at home. Thats 200 pounds of propane so I can run it close to a week if need be. God help me if they all light off, the satellites will pick up the explosion LOL
    Jeff

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    ... If anyone is on the fence about one it is definitely powerful enough to run the whole coach, as long as you keep it in propane I guess lol.
    I have to ask what is your elevation? Most people do not think about the effect of altitude, but the generators (all fuel types) have a derating for altitude (typically about 3.5%/1,000'). At my base 5,000' elevation a 5,500 watt generator produces a max of 4,500 watts. Just something to keep in mind.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    I have to ask what is your elevation? Most people do not think about the effect of altitude, but the generators (all fuel types) have a derating for altitude (typically about 3.5%/1,000'). At my base 5,000' elevation a 5,500 watt generator produces a max of 4,500 watts. Just something to keep in mind.

Chris
    It's nowhere near as high as yours! We are at a nose bleed elevation of 860 feet in S Texas
    Jeff

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Onan says no derating below 1,000 feet. Good to know at sea level the standard Onan 5500 will run two 15k BTU A/C units with room to spare. That is a good data point.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might consider installing a Micro-Air EasyStart on each of the AC units. It doesn't help the run time current demand, but does wonders for the startup demand. See my web page at http://www.klenger.net/easystart.html for details.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same genset, but it is in the shop now. Started running rough and backfiring, especially under load. Was surprised to “google” the problem and see it is not unheard of in the gas and lp models. Checked everything I could see...no dirt or insects anywhere...clean as a whistle. Hope yours keeps running well.
    RobM
    RobM
    2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 L5P, Transfer Flow 35 Gal Aux Fuel Tank, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau Cover
    2018 Solitude 310-GKR, Curt Q-20 puck system hitch, TST TPMS 507, Titan discs

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    I have the same genset, but it is in the shop now. Started running rough and backfiring, especially under load. Was surprised to “google” the problem and see it is not unheard of in the gas and lp models. Checked everything I could see...no dirt or insects anywhere...clean as a whistle. Hope yours keeps running well.
    RobM
    Rob, please post outcome.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Rob, please post outcome.
    My trailer was in the shop for the entire month of October to work on small warranty issues...They are an independent repair facility, so they tell me it has taken a while to get approval from GD to work all of the issues. Anyway, they didn't have the expertise to diagnose the generator. Dropped it off today at a Cummins Sales and Service facility 100 miles away. Excellent service. Within 45 minutes the tech said it was both ignition coils. They will actually have to remove the generator to dig into it and repair. Hope to pick it up in a few days. I asked, since it only has 17hrs on it, if it is anything I could have done to damage it. He said no, that these things happen occasionally.
    Rob M
    RobM
    2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 L5P, Transfer Flow 35 Gal Aux Fuel Tank, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau Cover
    2018 Solitude 310-GKR, Curt Q-20 puck system hitch, TST TPMS 507, Titan discs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast