User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The tale of the Thetford/Norcold 1210 disaster

Last week I posted a question for those who have residential refrigerators. I'm starting a new thread triggered by the same incident because the topic is different...

As I said in the other thread, we came home after a weekend with the grandkids to find our Norcold 1210 RV refrigerator not quite up to room temperature, shut down, and flashing the l1-op error code in the little read-out. Some research revealed that this is either 1) a high temperature situation that caused the high temp cutout switch (also known as the infamous "recall kit") to shut the frig down, or 2) a failure of the high temp module (the most common situation). The research further indicated that a strong magnet (a "cattle magnet" from Tractor Supply was one recommendation) held over or beside the relay on the high temp module could reset the switch in some cases. A trip to the hardware store for a 50 lb. magnet (Tim the Tool Man: "This should do it!") proved I wasn't to be so fortunate.

Of course, there wasn't a single business in the Aberdeen/Baltimore area that had the module in stock (or could get to me before December...). It seems that Thetford/Norcold's policy is to not let dealerships nor mobile techs keep even one of the modules in stock. They must first lay hands on the unit, do a number of tests (to prove what we already know), and then pray that Thetford/Norcold will authorize the replacement of the module and send one (while the tech and the customer wait on the mail or pay $49 for overnight shipping). I did not personally do the praying and laying on of hands this time, but the refrigerator gods smiled on us and we found a mobile tech in Richmond, where we were to arrive this last Tuesday, who had actually "persuaded" (I didn't ask any questions) T/N to let him keep one on hand. He agreed to come over Wednesday afternoon and look at our frig. He still had to do all the tests and make three phone calls to T/N (one of which he was on hold for 30 minutes) to get authorization to install the module. On top of that, although there is a lifetime warranty on the "recall module," T/N only provides the module and covers 30 minutes for installation - the cost of the service call and diagnostic time are on the customer.

So, as you can imagine, I'm not a member of the Thetford/Norcold fan club. They have created a situation where they designed a "fix" for a faulty/dangerous product where the fix is less reliable than the original product. Then, they design a system that makes it nearly impossible for someone who moves around (such as full-timers) to get the authorization and the part to get their recall/lifetime warranty POS part replaced. I am, however, a big fan of Tom at Trailer Time RV Service in Mechanicsville, VA (a Richmond suburb).

I don't know if my blood pressure is any better, but at least I have vented...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a mess Rob. Your story is one of the reasons we ordered our new Solitude with a residential fridge. I hope the fix on your fridge is permanent and your blood pressure drops!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rob. You have every reason to vent. On the positive note I see your a veteran. Thank you for your service.
    2018 Reflection 337RL / 2022 GMC Denali 3500HD CC LB Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently Norcold has learned very little in customer relations from the 36 million dollar spanking/settlement they took from a class action law suit involving the 1200 (and others) model recall from several years ago.

Not sure why Norcold can’t build a reliable RV refrigerator. I mean the concept was developed in 1858, so its not new thinking here.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good "vent" Rob, that's what we are here for so everyone can lean on when needed. I have the dometic fridge and have not heard much good about norcold.
    You would think somebody would make a change at some point.

Brian

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    ...You would think somebody would make a change at some point."

Brian
    Unfortunately, that would require management/leadership at Thetford/Norcold to think about customer service rather than profits and liability. Doesn't look like that's going to happen any time soon.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob - do you have any plans to share your "level of appreciation" with Norcold if for nothing else to see how or if they respond ?

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    Rob - do you have any plans to share your "level of appreciation" with Norcold if for nothing else to see how or if they respond ?

Dan
    I've been thinking about that - and you've just prompted me to think a little harder. It won't happen today, though, as my wife has just presented me with today's agenda...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I've been thinking about that - and you've just prompted me to think a little harder. It won't happen today, though, as my wife has just presented me with today's agenda...

Rob
    "Yes Dear"
    2017 Solitude 384GK
    2012 F350 Lariat
    Pullrite Superglide 18K

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Good "vent" Rob, that's what we are here for so everyone can lean on when needed. I have the dometic fridge and have not heard much good about norcold.
    You would think somebody would make a change at some point.

Brian
    Brian,
    How has your Dometic been performing? I had the LiOp error several times on my Norcold; but, was always able to get it going with a magnet. Fortunately (or unfortunately) hurricane Michael has spared me of having to deal further with the Norcold. Trying to decide whether to get another Reflection with the Dometic or jumping to a Solitude with the residential fridge.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    2016 F350 4X4 CC SB SRW 6.7 Powerstroke with OEM 5th Wheel and Gooseneck Prep Package
    Bakflip G2 Bed Cover
    Andersen Ultimate Aluminum Fifth Wheel Hitch
    2017 Reflection 337RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast