User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, and with 5G cell service on the horizon, sat TV will be quickly outdated all together.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried just about every DVR on the market and for me, the DirecTV Genie and Genie Mini is the best combo out there. Plus, the DirecTV picture quality is better than the cable companies I've used (Comcast, Charter, Bend Broadband, Verizon, Frontier, etc).

Most of the channels I watch are available on streaming services but I would have to sign up for multiple services to get the content I want. Not very convenient but it is an alternative. I'd love to be able to pursue new streaming options as they come along but we have data caps at home so that won't work for us. Until our cable company remove data caps, I'll be staying with DirecTV. I do NOT like what they charge but we have no good options at this time. The future is clearly streaming though.

What I find interesting is I've read AT&T wants to stop providing service via satellite and switch customers to streaming. If so, why did they buy DirecTV???? Plus, a lot of their customers use DirecTV because there is no alternative (rural areas). Those people don't have cable TV or internet access so they will be cut off entirely. Weird!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=bertschb;192543]I've tried just about every DVR on the market and for me, the DirecTV Genie and Genie Mini is the best combo out there. Plus, the DirecTV picture quality is better than the cable companies I've used (Comcast, Charter, Bend Broadband, Verizon, Frontier, etc).

I agree...we also have tried nearly every service out there. DISH was ALWAYS in contract disputes with what seemed like everyone including NBC so we had no summer olympic coverage etc. I do make an effort and in fact call them yearly to threaten to leave unless they lower the bill back to what I paid 5-6 yrs ago. I called last month and with very little discussion had a 70$/mo discount (50% off) for their choice package, genie with 3 minis so we can watch independent tv on 4 tvs simultaneously. We bring the satellite with us camping and with a satellite meter can have it dialed in and set up in 10 min or less.
    Ryan and Alison
    2017 Solitude 377MBS-R
    Titan electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    Morryde CRE 3000, xmembers x3, WBs,4k springs
    2017 GMC 3500 Duramax Denali SRW Airlift bags with wireless control
    Pullrite 2900 autoslide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    And "Hello" back at ya! Glad you're getting out and enjoying your rig. We didn't make it back through Tennessee this year, but we want to come check out Johnson City sometime in the near future - it's on our list of places to investigate for our "exit plan." I would like to get together again when we're in the area.

Rob
    We would enjoy that. Drop me an email when you're out this way and we'll meet up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Steve and Peggy
    Based in beautiful East Tennessee
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Rumor has it that DirecTV is dropping all non-HD service next year, which will render most portable sat systems that use DTV useless.
    I've been hoping for this for a long time, hoping that they will move the popular HD cable channels to the 101 satellite. Then people with DirecTV portable dishes would be able to get some HD programming.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Yes, and with 5G cell service on the horizon, sat TV will be quickly outdated all together.
    That assumption may be a bit premature. A lot of us spend time in places where this is no 4G service - and it will take quite a while for 5G to match the 4G coverage area. On the other hand, we can get a satellite signal anywhere we can see the sky...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I've tried just about every DVR on the market and for me, the DirecTV Genie and Genie Mini is the best combo out there. Plus, the DirecTV picture quality is better than the cable companies I've used (Comcast, Charter, Bend Broadband, Verizon, Frontier, etc).

Most of the channels I watch are available on streaming services but I would have to sign up for multiple services to get the content I want. Not very convenient but it is an alternative. I'd love to be able to pursue new streaming options as they come along but we have data caps at home so that won't work for us. Until our cable company remove data caps, I'll be staying with DirecTV. I do NOT like what they charge but we have no good options at this time. The future is clearly streaming though.

What I find interesting is I've read AT&T wants to stop providing service via satellite and switch customers to streaming. If so, why did they buy DirecTV???? Plus, a lot of their customers use DirecTV because there is no alternative (rural areas). Those people don't have cable TV or internet access so they will be cut off entirely. Weird!
    That is exactly our situation. Rural. Spectrum came within a quarter mile of us and stopped running the line (we are the last customer on the residential natural gas line). To add insult to injury, corporate offices keep sending ads to get us to switch but the local office says they have no plans to run the line any further.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it still works with keeping you home channels, that works for me. I like to keep my home channels so I can still watch baseball games (Angels) and other local programming.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had Directv for several years because we almost exclusively dry camp and wanted something we could take with us. It was simple and easy in the beginning but because of changes they've made over the last few years we no longer can get our local channels even at an extra cost. It has something to do with network contracts. In order to even get the major networks (NBC,ABC,CBS) we've had to use a satellite dish on my brother's account because where he lives he's allowed to get those channels travelling and he only lives 50 miles from where we live. It's crazy!

I too have concerns about where ATT is taking DTV and wondering if it's maybe time to check out Dish. We've avoided doing that in the past because we've heard Dish doesn't have as good a service but maybe that information was wrong. Will be following this thread to glean what I can from it.

I might add that regarding ATT's concern about stealing services, it was one of their employees on the phone that suggested I order a receiver through my brother's account to get the major networks so I'm assuming that's not the stealing they're talking about. I've also heard from one of their employees that they plan to switch everyone over to wireless receivers within the next year and maybe that's when all non-HD services will become a problem for RVers that don't have HD dishes. We have one but don't use it because it's too big to carry around with us.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We changed over to Dish at home specifically to use on the road. It was cheaper than comcast with similar service and their dish anywhere app allows me to plug my iPad into the TV to use when we are in the trees, but have cell reception. All in all, I am very satisfied.
    2017 F350 4x4 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast