User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parts - Another Difference between Car and RV Dealers

Ever call or visit an RV dealers parts department for something other than decorations or sewer hoses? Do you have... Sorry, we will have to order that for you. I always want to answer with the snide remark If I wanted to order the part I would have ordered it myself. One dealership I called the person in parts said we don't stock any parts.

On the flip side the tow vehicle was in for service last week, the check engine light was on. Error code said the DEF heater was bad. While that issue was being addressed I asked for a couple of other items to be looked at. Three items needed replacing: DEF tank and heater, a trailer brake switch, and an all important motor that vibrates the seat when the driver crosses over lane markings. Not a single part had to be ordered.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is frustrating, but in all fairness most RV dealerships are carrying multiple brands and depending on the part have to get it from the manufacturer. The auto dealers typically have 1 or 2 brands supported by regional parts houses that can restock them in 24 hours or less.

I’m able to pretty much get anything I need other than body parts off Amazon, often the next day with Prime, and the price is 30% or more off Stealer pricing.

Alan
    2015 380TH
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, all GMC/Chevy (whatever dealer you were at) use the same parts in all their trucks.

A little different when you carry 5 or 6 different brands of trailers. Yes, most parts are made by 2-3 manufacturers, but there are still different versions. Some are brand exclusive.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colan - market size can also be a factor. Trust you used one of the Des Moines dealers like Bob Brown or Karls. We had to have our DEF tank replaced last year due to a faulty heater as well. We use a smaller town Chevy/GMC/Cadillac (also sells Chrysler/Dodge/Ram) and they had to order this. Most any time I have had service work completed there over last 10 or so years they have had to order the part. They just give a new loaner vehicle to me for a day or so.

Relative to RV dealers service, pretty much the same as your RV experience regardless of market size it seems. As Steve noted many dealers carry a number of different brands/models not to mention all the brands/units (hundreds or possibly even thousands) they have carried over the years. RV brands seem to come and go with the wind especially when market downturns are long and or deep and/or dealer and manufacturer relationships go south for a whole host of reasons. Monitoring parts ordering trends for the top issues would not seem to be a challenge nor negatively impact operating margins due to tying up cash in parts that could sit for extended periods or become obsolete. I suspect some dealers do this but for many it may not be the best use of capital particularly in a hot market selling new units where cash can be better leveraged.

Also with the advent of UPS and FedEx overnight shipping many years ago, this dramatically changed the entire landscape for many retailers/wholesalers on having to stock most parts and tie up money that could better be used elsewhere in the business.

Yes, both scenarios above with RV and auto dealers cause them to not be on our Christmas card list but they do not seem to mind.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't care if stealers stock ANY repair parts. Few of them look at service as a profit center and seem to discourage service work. Not uncommon to make an appointment for service six weeks in advance and then it takes another six weeks before it is looked at, six weeks before parts are ordered, etc, etc.

What I find unconscionable is GD's refusal to provide parts direct to owners. At least here in Texas, I get the song and dance that Texas has a franchise law and they can only sell parts through authorized dealers. Neither FR or Keystone had any problem shipping parts to my Texas address when I owned their products. Of course, I can buy any Ford, GM, or Chrysler repair part online through any of dozens of authorized dealers so why is it a problem for GD to allow a dealer to set up an ebay store to dropship parts?
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    I don't care if stealers stock ANY repair parts. Few of them look at service as a profit center and seem to discourage service work. Not uncommon to make an appointment for service six weeks in advance and then it takes another six weeks before it is looked at, six weeks before parts are ordered, etc, etc.

What I find unconscionable is GD's refusal to provide parts direct to owners. At least here in Texas, I get the song and dance that Texas has a franchise law and they can only sell parts through authorized dealers. Neither FR or Keystone had any problem shipping parts to my Texas address when I owned their products. Of course, I can buy any Ford, GM, or Chrysler repair part online through any of dozens of authorized dealers so why is it a problem for GD to allow a dealer to set up an ebay store to dropship parts?
    I suggested the drop ship process to one of our members who works for a dealership. He thought it was a good idea, but I never heard back from him. With 50,000 plus GD units on the road, there has to be enough of a market in parts that it would be profitable for this type of venture.

Jim

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    I suggested the drop ship process to one of our members who works for a dealership. He thought it was a good idea, but I never heard back from him. With 50,000 plus GD units on the road, there has to be enough of a market in parts that it would be profitable for this type of venture.

Jim
    Thank you, Jim. I didn't know if this was just a problem for Texas owners or it others were also having problems obtaining parts. The GD customer service people have "explained" it to me a couple of times and it still doesn't make sense. I must say, though, that they have been very good about getting parts to me under warranty even when I didn't think it was a warranty issue. (I have been known to break things and that's not GD's fault. [g])

Just thinking out loud - I don't know the provisions of GD's dealer agreement, but perhaps they could come up with a "parts only" type dealership for a couple of established RV parts suppliers. I'm sure the some of the current dealers would object to something like this, but they are obviously not filling the need or they would maintain a larger inventory. I guess the other alternative might be for GD to require a certain size inventory investment as most OEM's do in other industries.

Issues like this are really what "customer service" is all about. Sometimes a company has to step up and put their money where their mouth is.

Best,

John
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Yeah, all GMC/Chevy (whatever dealer you were at) use the same parts in all their trucks.

A little different when you carry 5 or 6 different brands of trailers. Yes, most parts are made by 2-3 manufacturers, but there are still different versions. Some are brand exclusive.
    My issue isn't with stocking parts specific to a brand, like a fender skirt for a Reflection. My issue is with parts for the major components like furnaces, water heaters, refrigerators, toilets, and air conditioners. While it appears there are a lot of different models for these components the manufacturers have done a fairly good job of maintaining a common core of parts without constant change.

What finally got my ire was trying to help a neighbor with a toilet problem, the vacuum breaker was leaking. Called the neighbor's dealer, nope no parts. All that was needed was a part common to a large number of units sitting on the dealers lot.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently watched a you tube video made by some young full time couple that interviewed Don Clark at the recent Indiana Rally. He said that they are aware that the service side of the business needs attention.

I would welcome the idea of regional service centers staffed by GD employees that know what they are doing and can get parts not on hand on a moments notice. It would be interesting to hear reactions from dealers if that idea was to be implemented. Many Dealers treat warranty repairs as the red headed step child but I do wonder if GD started up these factory service centers how much of a hue and cry there would be. This would also serve GD well in the customer relations arena (GD4life ?). No more BS from the dealers that "we are waiting on authorizations or parts(when in fact no calls made or parts been ordered).

I imagine there's a bit of bill padding the dealers do when back charging GD on a warranty repair so this could be a money saving option in the long run for GD. I know I wouldn't have any issue towing my rig 200 miles to a GD service center knowing it will be fixed right and fixed quickly; neither of which some of the selling dealers can seem to do.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW