User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ant prevention

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post
    I know the state parks we frequent in Arizona get real testy if you put anything on the ground (like coffee grounds) that shouldn't be there naturally. Spray poison is invisible and they can't see it, so I stick with that.
    So just because "they can't see it" it's OK to put something on the ground that isn't there naturally?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    This past week I saw a lady sprinkling the sink cleanser Comet around the outside of their unit. she said it worked for them. I suspect Comet may have borax in it? It is a gritty kind of substance.

Down here we have fire ant problems and now kind of a new pest they refer to as crazy ants. They don't like eachother. The only good thing to say about the ants is they keep the scorpions in check.
    Yes, people have reported using Comet. But, again, many campgrounds do not allow such things to be placed on the ground.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    So just because "they can't see it" it's OK to put something on the ground that isn't there naturally?

Yes, people have reported using Comet. But, again, many campgrounds do not allow such things to be placed on the ground.
    Yep. It's my trailer, I'll put whatever I want on it. Copious amounts of ant poison on all the leveler jacks, my power cord and water hose. I also step on ants intentionally when I'm walking the trails.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post
    Yep. It's my trailer, I'll put whatever I want on it. Copious amounts of ant poison on all the leveler jacks, my power cord and water hose. I also step on ants intentionally when I'm walking the trails.
    "on your trailer" I have no problem with. Or stepping on them when walking/hiking.

But it seemed like you were saying, "state parks we frequent get real testy if you put something on the ground that isn't naturally there" and "Spray poison is invisible and they can't see it, so I stick with that." Sounds like you're aware that they don't want unnatural stuff leeched into the ground, but, as long as it's invisible, you're going to continue to do it.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    "on your trailer" I have no problem with. Or stepping on them when walking/hiking.

But it seemed like you were saying, "state parks we frequent get real testy if you put something on the ground that isn't naturally there" and "Spray poison is invisible and they can't see it, so I stick with that." Sounds like you're aware that they don't want unnatural stuff leeched into the ground, but, as long as it's invisible, you're going to continue to do it.
    Oh my.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the Phoenix area we are over run by black sugar ants. Even with out food out it takes just a few days and they are searching all over the trailer for food.
    I use 2 things and do not have a problem.
    First is a Spectricide product called Bug Stop. Spray it on anything that touches the ground. Landing pads, water and sewer hoses, electrical and cable hookups, stairs that touch the ground. You know anything that is a bridge for them to crawl up.
    Then get some Borax and shake a small ring around anything touching the ground.
    Problem solved for most bugs.
    2019 375 RES Linen
    KI6KER General
    Home Base Phoenix

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a recipe that works extremely well. Two days and they will be gone.

1. Measure the ingredients
    In a saucepan measure 2 cups of sugar, 1 cup of water, and 2 tablespoons of borax. Mix the ingredients together until they are combined. The sugar acts as bait for the ants as it attracts them while the borax kills the ants.

2. Place the saucepan on the stove
    Take your saucepan with the ingredients and set on the stove top. Turn the stove on to medium heat. Constantly stir the ingredients together until they begin to boil. Allow the ingredients to continue boiling for 3 minutes. Then remove from heat and allow to slightly cool.

3. Gather milk jug tops
    Set out the milk jug tops and pour or spoon the mixture into the tops. Set these tops in the areas in or around your home where you have ants.

4. Store remaining mixture
    If you did not use all of the mixture you can place it in a container. Make sure to clearly label the container to prevent it from being mistaken for a human food product.

Don't let your pets get into this as it is sweet and poison.
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 12-28-2018 at 05:01 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrap a few sheets of lint trap around your power cord and put baking soda around where the tires touch the ground and also around any stabilizers. Good luck

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For us, i have always sprayed my jack pads with bug spray. I use them under my tires even if i am level and under my jacks. There is residue on them and it seems to help. In almost twenty years of travel trailer / fifth wheel, we luckily have not had any issues. The chemical is on my stuff and seems to work. Just make sure you wear your disposable gloves and wash your hands good. I keep bug spray, hornet spray and soap bottles in the basement for stuff like this. We once went to Washington DC, they had tick infestation. We didn't have any animals, but i stopped at the local wally world and got some, sprayed all around with that too just as a precaution. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123