Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    Many places to hide gun(s) or wallet in camper. Don't have HR-218 but in south most other states in south they honor other states concealed weapons permits. With way things in this country are developing, may need protection. Sure am glad the mast majority of camper are not like those young punks out protesting. Really enjoy being around campers, some of best people you would want to meet. Always carry while traveling as the real danger is stopping for fuel or rest areas, not so much at campground.
    Agreed 100%. Even though I got my 50-state permit after I retired I always thought it unfair that everybody can't get one. I know some in my profession who think we are all special because of our training, etc., and I don't disagree that our years of training prepares us for just about any situation, but I believe EVERY law abiding American should be able to defend themselves. I have decades of firearms training, and having a gun with me is second nature. I carry concealed all day every day not because I'm scared or paranoid, but because I would never forgive myself if something came up and I wasn't able to defend my wife, my kids, my grandkids or innocent third parties.

That safe linked above on the other thread is outstanding. It would be hard to steal and was really well done. I must admit that I just case my rifles and keep them under the bed.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully the senate will pass reciprocity for all states, this will be a step in the right direction...Too many people;e that are legal in one state and then cross the state line become felons for doing nothing wrong.. This should not happen.. I have carried a gun since I was 22 years old pretty much 24/7.. It is still like putting your pants on every day, just part of what you do.
    Gary & Debbie
    2019 2400BH
    2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4
    No. Idaho

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in Minnesota and will be getting my Florida reciprocity. How does one get the 50 state permit?
    Goaltender
    2017 GMC Sierra Denali Crewcab 3500HD shortbox
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goaltender View Post
    I am in Minnesota and will be getting my Florida reciprocity. How does one get the 50 state permit?
    Unfortunately right now it's only available to retired law enforcement officers. The statute (known as LEOSA or the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act) was signed into law by GW Bush. Retired law enforcement officers have to pass an annual state police course of fire in our state of residence to retain our permits. I know many older retired officers who can no longer pass the course due to slow reflexes etc. and they are then reverted back to state laws in their state of residence. Arizona is awesome for firearms laws (no permit needed so long as you aren't a convicted felon or a prohibited possessor). CA and NY not so much.

I personally wish they would allow ALL lawful gun holders reciprocity in all 50 states.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post
    Unfortunately right now it's only available to retired law enforcement officers. The statute (known as LEOSA or the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act) was signed into law by GW Bush. Retired law enforcement officers have to pass an annual state police course of fire in our state of residence to retain our permits. I know many older retired officers who can no longer pass the course due to slow reflexes etc. and they are then reverted back to state laws in their state of residence. Arizona is awesome for firearms laws (no permit needed so long as you aren't a convicted felon or a prohibited possessor). CA and NY not so much.

I personally wish they would allow ALL lawful gun holders reciprocity in all 50 states.
    Right on the money, I am in Idaho and the carry laws here are very good compared to most states.. Carry open or concealed with out a permit..I retired from a LE agency in another state and now shoot Idaho's LEOSA course.It would be nice if the yearly quals were changed to 3 years..
    Gary & Debbie
    2019 2400BH
    2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4
    No. Idaho

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather than fall into the trap of of lamenting gun laws, you really need to realize that gun safes and RVs are always going to be a problem.

First off besides the safe making it difficult on the crook to gain entry, the safe is also suppose to make it difficult to drive away with the safe. Be aware, with the safe already attached to a set of wheels, even if the crook cannot gain entry to the safe, they could hookup and steal the entire rig.

So you have to accept that whatever safe you use is going to have a lot of tradeoffs as far as security goes.

I shoot cowboy action. Between my pardette and I we have a lot of steel for someone to steal. However, we mostly camp on gun ranges with other people doing the same thing. It is amazing with all those firearms lying about, including on gun carts no thief seems to interested in "trying their luck" (or stealing an unsecured genset!!!)

However, the people I see doing their utmost to protect the expensive, tuned firearms generally use a truck bed safe. These are safes secured to the truck bed, weatherproofed, with rather stout locks, and you don't really know they are there unless you drop the gate on your truck.

This type of mount has the advantage of not being in the RV. That means when you go to the range, without your RV you have a very secure firearms locker. Everytime you leave the RV your firearms are with you, making your RV a little less of a target. If you ever have to bug out, you locker will hold your best defensive firearms and keep them safe in the evac compound.

The principal disadvantage is that every time you want to haul your defensive gun to your RV at bedtime, everyone in the RV park knows. While quick access is not that slow you do have to drop the bed to gain access.

Others in our group have replaced the underbed storage, with an all steel industrial tool box. They have a lot of storage and aren't easily broken into. Bigger RVs can put these in the garage, and they don't scream "guns in here" when somebody breaks in.

Once you have a good bit of steel and lead in them they are not easily moved or removed. Of course what they are bolted to does not offer much resistance to the determined thief, and the thief does not care how much damage he does to your RV extracting the safe (put a big cable around the safe and pull it through the wall of your RV if need be).

In my opinion the truck safe is your best bet, but the JOBOX is pretty effective too. All you can hope for is delaying the thief and if your trailer is in a public enough area making it too difficult for the thief to work unobserved.

I would also say park your RV on a gun range...I am not sure why I have never been hassled there, and I guess there is a first time for anything, but it hasn't happened yet.
    Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
    Nathan & Susan Gifford
    Belle, & Danke
    53 days camping 8000 miles 2017
    2017 Imagine 2800BH
    '07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax LBZ 4WD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12