User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing during hard rain makes living room AC leak

I'm not sure if this is expected in certain weather conditions but it is the second time it happened to me. None of the ACs (bedroom or living room) leak when the travel trailer is static, no matter how hard the rain is. However, when towing during hard rain, I noticed a splash of water on the floor (the first time) and quite a bit of water pouring (the second time). The picture attached is from the second time it happened and before leveling the trailer (it was quite sloped backwards and happened as soon as I started raising the tongue jack).
    TT is a 2015 Reflection 313RLTS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20181008_172800.jpg  

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the mounting bolts and see if they are loose. Possible the seal isn't being compressed enough to keep driving water out. One side could be over tightened as well causing a dip in one side, sightly raising the other.

The shroud drops on the inside, just a free screws and you should see the mounting bolts from the inside.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Check the mounting bolts and see if they are loose. Possible the seal isn't being compressed enough to keep driving water out. One side could be over tightened as well causing a dip in one side, sightly raising the other.

The shroud drops on the inside, just a free screws and you should see the mounting bolts from the inside.
    So I check this from the inside? Can I see the seal from the inside or I need to go on the roof?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't remember if it's visible from inside... Hop up on the roof and see if you notice something obvious on the seal, maybe debris or it not pressing down quite right. The leak is from outside so it is possible you have a slight seal from the inside but its elevated slightly and wind is able to drive the water down just enough to leak.

Then drop the shroud inside, check for obvious bolts not being tight. I'd guess this is the issue.

Torque your drill to something reasonable. Tighten them all a bit, then go back and do it again as when one gets tight another sometimes gets a bit of slack.

Most likely this will solve it.

Otherwise you'll have to pull the unit up and replace the seal
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steaua1986 View Post
    So I check this from the inside? Can I see the seal from the inside or I need to go on the roof?
    Yes you should be able to see the seal from inside the camper once you completely remove the shroud as Aridon noted. The seal is gray and about 3/4" thick. After you check the bolts and make sure the gasket is evenly compressed you could have someone run a hose on the roof to simulate rain and see if it leaks. I wouldn't have it a high pressure or aimed directly at the seal, just have the water run off towards the seal if that makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We haven't been in rain for some time, so I was surprised when we had a little shower and had water dripping from the A/C unit. Having been down this road before it only took me a few minutes to tighten the A/C mounting bolts. Looks like this:

There are six screws with Fredericks screws to hold the A/C cover on, be careful not to strip them out when you put it back up. I then tighten each of the 4 bolts by hand 1/2 turn then do the next until all are just firm. You can overtighten them and cause a crease which will allow water to come through. I tightened mine after the little shower, it's raining heavily today, no leak.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dometic recommends 40-50 in-lbs of torque on the mounting bolts, which when I recieved my Momentum over 4 years ago, they were no where near that torque value.

Big Mike
    Mike and Mary Beth, Hopatcong, NJ
    2015 Momentum 385th with MorRyde Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes
    2014 Dodge Dually
    2014 Harley Ultra Limited (Big Mike's)
    2015 Indian Chieftain (Mary Beth's)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
    Dometic recommends 40-50 in-lbs of torque on the mounting bolts, which when I recieved my Momentum over 4 years ago, they were no where near that torque value.

Big Mike
    Big Mike - Those are the correct numbers for a Dometic brand AC. Here are some other values:

Coleman: Proper tension has been achieved for each bolt when the white gasket indicating tab ends are at roof level. This creates approximately 6 mm of gasket compression. (No specific torque values given).

Atwood: (The brand the OP is discussing in this thread) 5.2 Ft-Lb.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I can't twist a nut driver no 50lbs worth. Grandpappy taught me good and snug, but don't twist it off.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree Dallas I can't remember the last time I used a torque wrench. Probably the last time I was doing some engine work like Torquing down the heads.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast