User Tag List

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone else has covered the engine block heater but another really nice option is the instant heat for the cabin. Ford does offer cabin heat that is electric to give heat in the cabin within about 15 seconds after starting the engine and will provide heat till the engine warms up. On those cold mornings I could start my Ford truck and before backing out of the garage I had warm air much faster than my wife gas SUV. My GMC didn't have the option and I don't know if other brands have that option.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a special section on this forum for people who have traded one year old 3/4's for new one tons. We're easy to identify because of our thin wallets (and big grins because we now have the right TV).
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamxen22 View Post
    We just purchased a 2019 Imagine 2970RL!

Here are the specs:

34'2" long
    Hitch weight 795 pounds
    Gross weight 8995 pounds
    dry weight 7324 pounds
    Fresh water 52 gals
    Grey water 71 gals
    black water 39 gals
    (don't know what else is important to know)

We're very excited! Next step is to purchase the truck. I'm looking for any advice I can get. We're looking at RAM 2500, Silverado 2500, or F250, but open to other options if anyone has any. What are the must haves? What should we be looking for? What's the difference between those three (or is there another possibility we haven't thought of)? Should we get new or used? What else should we be asking?

Any wisdom from all of you more experienced RV'ers is very welcome. Thanks!
    Welcome to the Forum.
    I am going to play "Devils Advocate" and go the opposite direction of the other responses.
    I own a 2017 Nissan Titan XD 4X4 (SV trim level) with the 5.6L gas engine, which is a "half ton" truck with a towing capacity of 11,700 lbs.
    I just bought a Reflection 295RL Fifth Wheel, at 9,995 lb GVWR and 1,494 lb Pin Weight. Just got back yesterday from our first trip with the Reflection.
    I towed a Rockwood Windjammer 3008W (9,141 lb GVWR and 915 lb hitch weight) for two seasons with no issues what-so-ever.
    The Windjammer was a front kitchen model, so I am certain my hitch weight was more like 1,500+ lbs with groceries, heavy dishes and cast iron cookware.
    Plus, the bed of the truck was loaded to the rails with toys, firewood, extra propane, etc.
    I live and camp in the SE Virginia/NE North Carolina area, so at most I am towing up 3% grades for a mile or so at a time.
    I tow about ten days per year, and usually within 150 miles of home.
    BTW, I got about 7.7 mpg towing the Reflection. But Nissan Trucks have never been known for good gas mileage (11.5 city and 18.8 hwy mpg).

All that prelim data to say this:
    For me...It makes more sense to drive a gasser and save the up front cost and maintenance costs of a diesel for 3% of my annual driving days and about 10% of my annual miles.
    I had an F150 before, towing the Windjammer and a Couger (37' 5" and 10,000 lb) and it was always a "white knuckle " experience.
    Even though the XD is marketed as a half ton truck...It is my opinion, that the XD is just as capable as the 3/4 tons.
    For the record, I would NEVER recommend any other half ton truck for towing anything more than a 5,000 lb hybrid or mini camper. That's speaking from experience after owning 5 campers.

I researched for over a year before I decided on the Titan XD Gasser over 3/4 ton (gas or dsl) trucks from the big 3 (GM/Ford/RAM), and am 100% confident I made the right decision for my needs.
    Titan XD also comes with a 5L Cummins Diesel, but the Gas engine/tranny combo outperforms the Diesel engine/tranny combo.
    Today's gas engines/electronics/transmission packages are game changers for the towing community.
    I think any 2018 or 2019 properly equipped heavy truck (6,000+ lb truck) will tow a large camper (within legal limits of course) regardless of the fuel type.
    My only modification for the fifth wheel was the addition of air bags.
    I measure my truck height before I set the camper on it, then use enough air to restore original height for the sake of stability, not as additional capacity.
    You probably have a weight distribution hitch, so that is a mute point for you.

OK, so I may have to use the flashers and go slow up a mountain pass, once in a blue moon, but that is not worth the cost and maintenance of a diesel...for me.
    I towed my Windjammer with my Son-In-Laws F350 Diesel once for comparison's sake. Sure it towed easier, but I thought it was overkill.

Here are some questions for you to consider:
    How many miles per year will you tow?
    What terrain/weather will you be towing in? Steeper terrain or frequent bad weather would cause me to go to a heavier duty truck.
    How much stuff are you gonna put in the camper and the tow vehicle?
    I attached an Excel file I found online to help figure out which trucks are capable for your needs. The yellow highlighted blocks are auto calculating.

Let us know what you decide!
    Robert
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWFSAF View Post
    Welcome to the Forum.
    I am going to play "Devils Advocate" and go the opposite direction of the other responses.
    I own a 2017 Nissan Titan XD 4X4 (SV trim level) with the 5.6L gas engine, which is a "half ton" truck with a towing capacity of 11,700 lbs.
    I just bought a Reflection 295RL Fifth Wheel, at 9,995 lb GVWR and 1,494 lb Pin Weight. Just got back yesterday from our first trip with the Reflection.

Robert
    Looks like you using very low numbers for your Curb Weight and Pin Weight in your spreadsheet. The dry pin weight is 1391 and your spreadsheet using 1494 and GVWR of 10,195. With a dry weight of 8496 and dry pin of 1391 would give you 16.2 percent so you spreadsheet shows that you percentage went down under 15% when normally the percentage climbs since most of the storage is forward of the axles. If you load the 5er perfectly with equal weights at 16.2 would give you 1651 pin weight at 10,195 using the dry weight numbers.

Towing planner allows for an increase since most of the storage is forward of the axles and it estimates at 3% increase so at 10,195 would be 1933 loaded ready to camp.
    http://www.towingplanner.com/Estimat...6&lw=10066&a=3

If it was me I would verify those numbers on the scales since stubby pencil weights are seldom correct.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The note on Ford's towing capacity spec sheet says it well:

Trailer king pin load weight should be 15% of total loaded trailer weight. Make sure vehicle payload (reduce by option weight) will accommodate trailer king pin load weight and weight of passengers and cargo added to towing vehicle. Addition of trailer tongue load weight and weight of passengers and cargo cannot cause vehicle weights to exceed rear GAWR or GVWR. These ratings can be found on the vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Label.

Be sure to check out that Safety Compliance Certification Label in the door jamb of any vehicle you consider.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    There's a special section on this forum for people who have traded one year old 3/4's for new one tons. We're easy to identify because of our thin wallets (and big grins because we now have the right TV).
    Love it John!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow.. I am looking to by the same unit. GWR max is approx 9k for this unit. What’s wrong towing with a 10k - Ram 1500 3.92 axle. Payload is 1200lps . I taught 2500 and 3500 are for larger trailers. 12 - 13 k + .

Dan
    Last edited by Gravel_road_cop; 10-09-2018 at 02:10 PM.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravel_road_cop View Post
    Wow.. I am looking to by the same unit. GWR max is approx 9k for this unit. What’s wrong towing with a 10k - Ram 1500 3.92 axle. Payload is 1200lps . I taught 2/3 & 3/4 are for larger trailers. 12 - 13 k + .

Dan
    Dan - A 1200# payload would likely be exceeded by this trailer, driver, passengers, hitch and cargo. Many owners of GD travel trailers are reporting much higher hitch weights than the empty weight that GDRV publishes. I'm going out on a limb with a guess here. But it's my belief that the hitch will weigh more than 1,000# when fully loaded. If it were right at 1K#, that would only leave 200# for everything else in the truck. It might be doable, but why not give yourself some safety margin?

Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My truck payload is 1460.

Ty Jim for your reply.

Dan

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Love it John!
    Not sure what this group should be called - the Bad Examples? One time dues of ten grand?
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast