User Tag List

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamxen22 View Post
    Question re: diesel - how important do you all think that is compared to gas? I live in Minnesota and it gets extremely cold. I hear there can be performance issues for diesels when it gets to be below zero.

Thanks for all the input!
    I have lived in Minnesota for 28 years and driven a diesel the past 8 years. No problems with my diesels in any of the winters and they do come with block heaters standard. I plug my truck in when the forecast will be below 10 degrees overnight just to have warmth quicker as diesels are slower to warm. Also keep in mind the extra cost upfront for the diesel option and the added cost to maintain.

The DW manages the school bus terminal for the nearby school district and they have run diesels for over a decade. Again when temps dip below 10 degrees they plug them in to help warm them on cold mornings.
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In reference to the diesel motor. I live in Michigan and have a GM diesel truck, third one. There are many diesel trucks in Michigan and they don’t seem to be a problem. It gets cold here also. Follow the owners manual on does and don’t and you’ll be fine. Nobody wants to spend more money then they need to for a truck. As I said earlier you may someday want more in a camper and getting a one ton truck with the diesel motor you’ll never need to worry. These trucks are getting very expensive and also for resale you won’t go wrong with a one ton diesel. Just my opinion. Good luck
    2018 Reflection 337RL / 2022 GMC Denali 3500HD CC LB Diesel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bought our first RV! Now we need the truck - help!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamxen22 View Post
    We just purchased a 2019 Imagine 2970RL!

Here are the specs:

34'2" long
    Hitch weight 795 pounds
    Gross weight 8995 pounds
    dry weight 7324 pounds
    Fresh water 52 gals
    Grey water 71 gals
    black water 39 gals
    (don't know what else is important to know)

We're very excited! Next step is to purchase the truck. I'm looking for any advice I can get. We're looking at RAM 2500, Silverado 2500, or F250, but open to other options if anyone has any. What are the must haves? What should we be looking for? What's the difference between those three (or is there another possibility we haven't thought of)? Should we get new or used? What else should we be asking?

Any wisdom from all of you more experienced RV'ers is very welcome. Thanks!
    Just one guys experience as a data point for you. I’ve owned 2 travel trailers. My last one had a GVWR of 9500lbs. My current GD has a GVWR of 8495lbs. So, it’s similar to your new rig. I have a GMC 2500HD crew cab 4x4 gasser with a payload of just under 3000lbs. I towed the last one and this new trailer at max gross often because, well, stuff.. My particular floorplan has a rear kitchen so I load heaviest forward of the axles to keep tongue weight in the 10-15% range. That said, the truck sits perfectly level with WD hitch and is steady as can be. Good leaf springs carry big loads on these HD trucks. After loading the truck for a camping trip, I’m usually about 1000lbs under gross on the truck axles. For some other folks on this thread with 1/2 tons, that would put them well over gross and my wife and dog don’t even weigh that much. But hey, if the math works, I am not here to fault anyone.

However, with all that said, I’m trading my truck in when the 2020 body style comes out next year. My new truck will be a 3500 diesel. Yes, my current truck tows fine and has payload to spare. But, it does it while running high RPMs up hills, and I go to the mountains, because, well, it’s camping!

So, if you can swing it, I’d get the most truck payload you can with a diesel. It’s just going to be easier and you may not even need an excel spreadsheet to go camping. Easier and less spreadsheets are better in my opinion. I own and fly piston powered airplanes as well and in both of these hobbies, the more payload capacity at your disposal, the safer you are.

Best of luck and welcome!

George
    Greenville, SC
    2019 Imagine 2670MK
    2015 GMC 2500HD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    George & Lani
    Greenville, SC
    2019 Imagine 2670MK
    2015 GMC 2500HD

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started with a 3500 and it still wasn't enough truck! Granted I went from a SRW to a DRW. But, as many people here will tell you, get a truck that will handle your next RV, not the one you're currently considering.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I started with a 3500 and it still wasn't enough truck! Granted I went from a SRW to a DRW. But, as many people here will tell you, get a truck that will handle your next RV, not the one you're currently considering.
    I too am a member of the "quick trade club" as we all know. I pulled a 2017 Imagine 2950RL (the old name for your 2970rl) with a 2017 F250 diesel with 2200lb payload. That trailer has a hella tongue weight, it dropped the backend more that a 2017 Reflection 28BH fifth wheel I traded up too with 1800 pin weight! Now I moved up the last time lol, F350 dually and Solitude with probable 3500 pin weight. To the OP please take everyones advice and go big or go home on the tow vehicle, you will save in the long run and not regret it.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Engine break would probably apply to a 6.0 or 6.4, engine brake is preferred. English language is a challenge for me too!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    …. but why not give yourself some safety margin …. What a concept!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamxen22 - You have certainly tapped into the “you must have a one ton diesel to tow anything” contingent . There is a less vocal opinion that a gasoline engine can get the job done. A 3/4 ton with a gasoline engine will have about the same payload as a one ton diesel. What the diesel guys won’t mention is the complexity of the DPF and DEF emission control systems on new diesel trucks . . . and the potential for thousands of dollars in repair costs if you live in a jurisdiction that doesn’t allow removal of the emission control system. Have a read through this thread for another perspective. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...akdown-(/page4 My “2 cents worth” is that a gasoline 3/4 ton is the right tow vehicle for your new Imagine.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 10-09-2018 at 05:29 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big fan of the forum so far! Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the feedback and will be sure to post when we make a decision. Meanwhile, keep the comments coming!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Cate&Rob -

My issue isn't gas vs diesel. There are pros and cons to both.

My issue is why someone would choose a 3/4 ton over a 1 ton. Why choose significantly less payload but the same ride quality and virtually the same purchase price? That's the one that puzzles me. I understand some folks have to pay higher registration fees for a 1 ton but there is no way I'd give up hundreds of pounds of extra payload capacity on my all important tow vehicle just to save some bucks on registration fees. But that's just me.

Some people may consider my tow vehicle overkill. I consider it safe. And I only use it for towing about 4 days per year.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast