User Tag List

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bought our first RV! Now we need the truck - help!

We just purchased a 2019 Imagine 2970RL!

Here are the specs:

34'2" long
    Hitch weight 795 pounds
    Gross weight 8995 pounds
    dry weight 7324 pounds
    Fresh water 52 gals
    Grey water 71 gals
    black water 39 gals
    (don't know what else is important to know)

We're very excited! Next step is to purchase the truck. I'm looking for any advice I can get. We're looking at RAM 2500, Silverado 2500, or F250, but open to other options if anyone has any. What are the must haves? What should we be looking for? What's the difference between those three (or is there another possibility we haven't thought of)? Should we get new or used? What else should we be asking?

Any wisdom from all of you more experienced RV'ers is very welcome. Thanks!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are tons of threads on this forum on this topic. You could spend all day reading them. My only advice is don't buy a 3/4 ton truck. Get a 1 ton. They ride the same when empty but the 1 ton gives you a lot more payload capacity when it's needed (towing).

Welcome to the forum!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    x2^^^^.
    The cost difference is not that big and is worth it in payload gain.
    The advertised hitch weight is never right.

Brian

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamxen22 View Post
    We just purchased a 2019 Imagine 2970RL!

Here are the specs:

34'2" long
    Hitch weight 795 pounds
    Gross weight 8995 pounds
    dry weight 7324 pounds
    Fresh water 52 gals
    Grey water 71 gals
    black water 39 gals
    (don't know what else is important to know)

We're very excited! Next step is to purchase the truck. I'm looking for any advice I can get. We're looking at RAM 2500, Silverado 2500, or F250, but open to other options if anyone has any. What are the must haves? What should we be looking for? What's the difference between those three (or is there another possibility we haven't thought of)? Should we get new or used? What else should we be asking?

Any wisdom from all of you more experienced RV'ers is very welcome. Thanks!
    I bought a silverado 3500hd diesel and am completely amazed at the power in the mountains. A gas engine will slow dramatically and use more fuel under a load. If you have the extra $10,000 for diesel, you will be happier.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just remember that 795# hitch weight is for bone dry completely empty trailer. You're more than likely going to be running between 12-14% of the GVWR for a hitch weight. That will put you between 1,100 to 1,200#. If you purchase a 3500/F350, you'll have 3,000 plus pounds of payload capacity. You'll be able to load the truck with passengers and the bed with cargo and still have extra payload capacity available.

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do agree with others. If possible get a one ton truck with a Diesel engine you’ll never regret it. On the plus side also when you want to go bigger/ heavier camper you won’t need to worry about can I pull it. They all make good trucks. Iam a GM guy.
    2018 Reflection 337RL / 2022 GMC Denali 3500HD CC LB Diesel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I bought a silverado 3500hd diesel and am completely amazed at the power in the mountains. A gas engine will slow dramatically and use more fuel under a load. If you have the extra $10,000 for diesel, you will be happier.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Question re: diesel - how important do you all think that is compared to gas? I live in Minnesota and it gets extremely cold. I hear there can be performance issues for diesels when it gets to be below zero.

Thanks for all the input!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamxen22 View Post
    Question re: diesel - how important do you all think that is compared to gas? I live in Minnesota and it gets extremely cold. I hear there can be performance issues for diesels when it gets to be below zero.

Thanks for all the input!
    If you buy the truck in that region it will most likely have an engine block heater. Just make sure you let it warm up and you'll most likely be fine. Hopefully someone else can chime in from the area. The coldest I've had mine in was in the teens; it was fine without a block heater, I didn't notice any performance issues.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Older and newer generation diesels have been and are being used in the world's coldest climates so that is not a concern. Yes, very cold weather calls for additional considerations such as proper winter fuel blends which are done by fuel suppliers in cold climates based on winter temperatures. Additional products can also be added by owners/users but if the fuel blending is proper where the diesel is being used, these s/n be necessary. Our Chevy manual does not recommend using these but I am not familiar with Ford and Dodge/Ram.

Block heaters are pretty much std. on diesels produced in the last many years since you never know where the truck will end up and need to be plugged in. Ours has been used a few times such as when the temp has reached 0 degrees consistent with our OM recommendations. It is nice to even plug in when warmer to have the engine block warmer thus coolant warmer and the heater output warm right away. However, this can be done with gas vehicle too if equipped with a block heater.

GM (and I trust Ford and Ram) also build recent generations with a grill cover as an option or required item for the colder winter northern US states so the engine will warm more quickly and stay warmer. The cover restricts some air flow to the radiator. Our Chevy OM states to use when below 0 degrees but we have never used it even when highway traveling in temps as cold as -10 degrees +/-

Our OM states to drive right away when cold rather than let warm up. We do this but do not drive hard for while to let engine/oil/coolant along with transmission/etc. to warm up.......common sense.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have cold weather experience either, so not much to add there other than to say what you already know, use a decent additive. I have used this the few times I've driven in cold weather areas: https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Complian...iesel+additive

The often overlooked thing to consider about a diesel is the value of the engine brake. Makes driving down the long steep inclines a breeze. Tow/Haul mode is good; engine break is great.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast