User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danedubr View Post
    I have a lighter trailer, Imagine 2500RL. Just got new 3” Dexter axles and new springs. Passenger side still has less tire clearance, only 2 1/2 inches. Loaded spring arch is only 1 3/8” on passenger side and that’s with new springs and I haven’t even taken a trip yet since getting axles replaced. Drivers side at least has 1 5/8” spring arch. Still trying to figure out what to do about it. I see tires rubbing again on that side in future. I taped a 3/4” piece of styrofoam under deck and drove on my dirt driveway, which is kind of bumpy but nothing extreme and the styrofoam got ripped off from tire hitting it. My springs are 1750lb and axles axles are 3500lb. I have gotten ideas from others in a different post but why am I having to redesign the suspension.
    Pete - It would seem that you have exactly the situation (reversed side-to-side) as the Reflection 303s that started the whole discussion on this forum about having different strength springs on one side than on the other. It seemed intuitive to several of us on this forum to match the spring strength to the load being carried to level out the ride height. Those that we were able to contact at LCI would never buy into different strength springs on the same axle. Perhaps Dexter will understand this basic engineering.

1 3/8" static loaded arch height is beyond the nominal spring spec and indicates an overloaded spring. 1 5/8" is fine. From your numbers, I would think that you need another 500 lbs of carrying capacity on the heavy side . . . or two 2000 lb springs. The 1750 lb springs are OK for the light side.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading this thread, just so I’m clear what folks are doing.. There are people who payed good money for a trailer with X max gross and the springs are proven to be inadequate under that weight? There is tire rubbing and the trailer is uneven on one side. You replaced the axles and springs which didn’t solve the problem. Are you guys paying for this stuff to be done or is GD? I replaced my suspension with the Morryde stuff for a smoother ride, which was a “nice to have” thing, but I could never justify paying out of pocket for replacements to axles or springs if I was running within spec and the trailer didn’t perform as advertised.

George
    Greenville, SC
    2019 Imagine 2670MK
    2015 GMC 2500HD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    George & Lani
    Greenville, SC
    2019 Imagine 2670MK
    2015 GMC 2500HD

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danedubr View Post
    I have a lighter trailer, Imagine 2500RL. Just got new 3” Dexter axles and new springs. Passenger side still has less tire clearance, only 2 1/2 inches. Loaded spring arch is only 1 3/8” on passenger side and that’s with new springs and I haven’t even taken a trip yet since getting axles replaced. Drivers side at least has 1 5/8” spring arch. Still trying to figure out what to do about it. I see tires rubbing again on that side in future. I taped a 3/4” piece of styrofoam under deck and drove on my dirt driveway, which is kind of bumpy but nothing extreme and the styrofoam got ripped off from tire hitting it. My springs are 1750lb and axles axles are 3500lb. I have gotten ideas from others in a different post but why am I having to redesign the suspension.
    The measurements you are getting didn't sound right to me so I did some checking. This is what E-Trailer recommends for clearance for tire to wheel well.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-112630.html
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen the 3" minimum clearance requirement several places, including MorRyde and Dexter. I looked at quite a few Imagine models on dealer lot and most did not have 3" clearance even with no load. I can only assume that Grand design did not design for a 3" clearance. As far as getting Grand design to do something more I haven't made my mind up yet. I have to say that Grand Design customer service has been great with every problem I have gone to them with. My dealer has great customer service and has always addressed the problems and has great service dept and techs. I hate to complain about stuff so I try to fix everything I can myself and Grand Design has sent me parts when I chose to fix things myself.

I think this suspension problem is a design problem. Don't have any data other than I see quite a few people are having axle and spring problems. I am trying to decide what the fix is for my particular case without causing unintended problems.

Use heavier rated springs. Axle spindles and trailer box are designed for certain level of stress so don't go too stiff on the springs. I have seen posts where Grand Design has Ok'ed stiffer springs but that may have been along with axle weight upgrade. I found a Dexter 2200lb spring with 2" loaded arch height and a little larger stack height. That looks interesting because maybe using that will give me enough clearance and then use MorRyde Equalizer or Dexter EZ Flex to reduce shock from stiffer springs.

Use extensions on the hangers like the Lippert Correct Track to raise trailer by two inches. Hope that they don't put too much side torque on hanger welds. I've seen them on some Grand Designs but they look like they could weaken the hangers somewhat, but who knows, they may be perfectly fine. Surely Lippert would not sell something that was unreliable (ha ha).

Or instead use reasonable height lift blocks. Maybe just 1". The only source I've seen for these has them priced like they are gold plated, but not much difference than buying Correct Track.

Add MorRyde Equalizer or EZ Flex to reduce shock from stiffer springs, provided I get enough lift. MorRyde seems to get better reviews.

Definitely want to replace the nylon bushings.
    Pete D.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pete. I used trailerblocks.com for my lift blocks. They are a Canadian company. So the price you see is in Canadian dollars. If you pay with a U.S. credit card, you'll be charged at the exchange rate.

Jim

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bamaman,

Have you weighed your 323? I also have a 323 (June 2014 build) that we purchased used so don't have the factory weight sheet. Most of the posts about side to side spring and weight have been 303's

I have noticed that our wheels are closer on the fridge/street/left side. We use Fastway One Step chocks that are setup the same. The left side is always harder to set than the right....even swapping the chocks from side to side. I have measured the wheels but don't recall the difference...its not much, maybe 1/4".

I am looking at suspension maintenance (shackles, bushings and possibly springs and equalizer) as we are heading towards it 5th birthday.

The unit already has LCI 3000 lb springs. LCI next size up is 3500...I think maybe too much of a jump.
    Kevin and Laura
    Eastern Suburb of Cincinnati, OH
    2015 Reflection 323BHS -
    Steadyfast, RV-CO Steps, LED underbelly Lights, BH Jack knife bed support mod
    2007 GMC Sierra 3500 Classic Duramax CC DRW
    Stock- No Tunes - No deletes
    Power steering fluid cooler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 Reflection Travel Trailer 312BHTS refer side sag...

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Your 3170 may be heavier on the kitchen side of the trailer by a substantial amount. You should have received a weight sheet from the factory showing weights of each side.
    I have this issue with my 315RLTS, about a 600lb difference when empty. I installed heavier springs on the kitchen side, sits level and rides nice.
    Chief, 1SG here.

I wanted to inquire about your springs on the heavy side you had installed. My 312BHTS is new as of Aug. 2018 and it is sagging on the opposing slide where the appliances are located (street / drivers side), but also noticeable sag on the light side (curb) as well, especially when I crawl underneath the rig and look at how badly the springs are flattening out there as well. I have the remainder of my warranty left through the end of August 2019.

My problem here in lovely NC is that no dealership will work with me until my one year warranty is up due to the fact that I bought the rig in Ohio from General RV and not them (won't mention any names). However, I am taking it back up to General RV in Ashland, VA 1st week of May for some minor warranty work. I will let them know at the time I drop it off, but still may want to contact GD on their web site prior to my trip to VA.

Any suggestions Chief?

Thank you for the information and your guidance.

Very Respectfully,
    Kevin Page (1SG)
    Kevin, Angela, Nicole, Andria, Aleigha & Zoey
    G-kids Tyler & Raynah
    2019 312BHTS Reflection TT
    2012 F-250 King Ranch, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
    14k Equal-I-zer Hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sergeant View Post
    Chief, 1SG here.

I wanted to inquire about your springs on the heavy side you had installed. My 312BHTS is new as of Aug. 2018 and it is sagging on the opposing slide where the appliances are located (street / drivers side), but also noticeable sag on the light side (curb) as well, especially when I crawl underneath the rig and look at how badly the springs are flattening out there as well. I have the remainder of my warranty left through the end of August 2019.

My problem here in lovely NC is that no dealership will work with me until my one year warranty is up due to the fact that I bought the rig in Ohio from General RV and not them (won't mention any names). However, I am taking it back up to General RV in Ashland, VA 1st week of May for some minor warranty work. I will let them know at the time I drop it off, but still may want to contact GD on their web site prior to my trip to VA.

Any suggestions Chief?

Thank you for the information and your guidance.

Very Respectfully,
    Kevin Page (1SG)
    Hi 1SG - I assume from your screen name you have or are still serving our country, for that I thank you sir.

Not sure I have any advice as regarding working with dealers. Any warranty work I've had done has been performed by me, private repair facilities or the GDRV factory itself.
    In my case, I replaced the springs at my expense while warranty work was being performed on the undercarriage. It was easy to do while the axles were being replaced. The cost of the springs themselves wasn't that much, $40 or $50 apiece. My recommendation would be to use a higher quality spring than those supplied by Lippert. I upgraded to 6k axles from the 5.2ks that came on it. The factory springs were 2600lb. Since the driver or street side being around 600lb heavier, I used 3000lb springs there, a total difference of 600lbs. The trailer sits level and makes no untoward movements while underway. I highly recommend the installation of the Morryde wet bolt and bronze bushing kit. I also installed Morryde CRE3000 equalizers and recommend them also.

I doubt GDRV will ok the use of different rate springs side to side. If the springs on your rig have less than specified arch, perhaps you could ask if they would reimburse you for the cost of the factory springs and apply that to locally sourced springs.

BTW 1SG, I hope you're not thinking I've been a Chief in the military. Chiefblueman is a Celtic translation of my first and last names. AKA Papa Smurf ala my avatar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chiefblueman,

My apologies, I sent you a message by cell but apparently it didn't go through the site. Yes, I spent 11 years in the Michigan Army National Guard as a weekend warrior, 5 years and 6 months in the U.S. Air Force, and another 18 years, 4 months in the U.S. Army, retiring as a First Sergeant (would have made Sergeant Major but required staying another 3+ years). Thank you for mentioning that Chief. And, you're absolutely correct, I assumed (taught never to do that in the military) you to be an Army Chief Warrant Officer, but all good Chief! However, it's a great site name regardless and the translation is freaking awesome!!

My axles are 5,200lbs and 2,600lbs springs. Not enough for the 312BHTS which is very obvious when looking underneath the RV (especially on the drivers/appliances side). I can install the springs myself with no issues, but the axles are a different story. I am seriously considering the Roadmaster Comfort Ride Leaf Spring Suspension Kit w/ Shock Absorbers - Tandem 7K Trailer Axles from eTrailer. The system looks heavy duty and the reviews are really positive.

Anyway, thank you Chiefblueman (Papa Smurf!!) for answering my post, I really appreciate it!

Happy and safe camping to you and your family.

Most Respectfully,
    Kevin Page (1SG) - Hooah!
    Kevin, Angela, Nicole, Andria, Aleigha & Zoey
    G-kids Tyler & Raynah
    2019 312BHTS Reflection TT
    2012 F-250 King Ranch, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
    14k Equal-I-zer Hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sergeant View Post
    Chiefblueman,

My apologies, I sent you a message by cell but apparently it didn't go through the site. Yes, I spent 11 years in the Michigan Army National Guard as a weekend warrior, 5 years and 6 months in the U.S. Air Force, and another 18 years, 4 months in the U.S. Army, retiring as a First Sergeant (would have made Sergeant Major but required staying another 3+ years). Thank you for mentioning that Chief. And, you're absolutely correct, I assumed (taught never to do that in the military) you to be an Army Chief Warrant Officer, but all good Chief! However, it's a great site name regardless and the translation is freaking awesome!!

My axles are 5,200lbs and 2,600lbs springs. Not enough for the 312BHTS which is very obvious when looking underneath the RV (especially on the drivers/appliances side). I can install the springs myself with no issues, but the axles are a different story. I am seriously considering the Roadmaster Comfort Ride Leaf Spring Suspension Kit w/ Shock Absorbers - Tandem 7K Trailer Axles from eTrailer. The system looks heavy duty and the reviews are really positive.

Anyway, thank you Chiefblueman (Papa Smurf!!) for answering my post, I really appreciate it!

Happy and safe camping to you and your family.

Most Respectfully,
    Kevin Page (1SG) - Hooah!
    Kevin, if you go with the Roadmaster set up let us know. I'd definitely be interested in how the installation goes and your review on results.

Carry on, sir!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast