User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hot Water Heater DSI Fault

I have Dometic HW heater model GC6AA-10E that quit running on gas.

- Electric works fine
    - worked fine when I checked it at home before my boondock camping trip. Of course it breaks now.
    - plenty of propane
    - all valves open
    - stove burners and fridge working fine
    - when you turn it on with gas you can hear it go through 3 cycles and then shutoff. No spark ignition. DSI fault.
    - I stuck a lighter in there and heater lit for 3 seconds and then shutoff.

2018 Reflection 295RL
    2019 F-250 Platinum
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 Ford F-250

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been there, done that. Likely the circuit board on your water heater has failed. Very common. See this thread https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...r-Issues/page2

Amazon source https://www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Elec...r_1_fkmrnull_1

The Atwood board’s are notorious for early failure. There’s a replacement board that has excellent reports. https://www.makariosrv.com/dinosaur-...r-board-uib64/ For $129 I would buy this board and replace it myself. It’s cheaper than dragging your trailer to a dealer and wasting days.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The two most likely components are the DSI board or the igniter/flame sensor.

The igniter/flame sensor is the least expensive of the two but is seldom the problem.

How old is the unit? It may be covered by warranty.

Edit:

If it’s a problem to take it to your dealer, visit Dometic’s web site for service. The site will show if there are any authorized mobil operations in your area.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion is to call Atwood. The controller on my unit failed about a month ago and would not operate on gas. Atwood advised they are aware of receiving bad controllers and have changed their supplier and controllers. They will want a picture of the bad controller, a copy of the paperwork showing ownership of the RV, the serial number on the bad controller, your name, and address where they can send a free replacement.
    They got mine to me within 2 days time.
    RK
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mine was bad. Unfortunately, I had to get it fixed onsite because I was dry camping. Needed my hot water heater. They won’t reimburse for the service call fee of $85 I had to cough up but they say they’re covering the rest.

2018 Reflection 295RL
    2019 F-250 Platinum
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 Ford F-250

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our 2nd trip and the LP water heater was working fine until last night. Got the DSI Fault light as well (no longer on). I can hear it try to ignite so I know it is getting power, but won’t light off. It is a Dometic product. Is it same to assume it is the circuit board? If so I can probably change it out myself, really don’t want it sitting at the dealer for weeks as it is under warranty.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FR8TFLYER View Post
    On our 2nd trip and the LP water heater was working fine until last night. Got the DSI Fault light as well (no longer on). I can hear it try to ignite so I know it is getting power, but won’t light off. It is a Dometic product. Is it same to assume it is the circuit board? If so I can probably change it out myself, really don’t want it sitting at the dealer for weeks as it is under warranty.
    Buy a Dinosaur UIB64 Board rather than the Dometic board. https://www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Elec.../dp/B0130Y8I1K

Much more reliable and 3 year warranty.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Buy a Dinosaur UIB64 Board rather than the Dometic board. https://www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Elec.../dp/B0130Y8I1K

Much more reliable and 3 year warranty.
    I've seen these reports so many times I'm going to just replace my board (it is currently working) as a preventive measure.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If under warranty contact GD to get reimbursement.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Dinosaur board looks totally different than what I have. Is it same to assume it will fit, looks much larger? I took a picture but can’t figure out how to post it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast