User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post

Would you like the replacement faucet for your trailer from Amazon shipped via truck or rail? I would assume you would want to use your unit this year, not wait till sometime in 2019.
    Not really a good example since Amazon has warehouses full of products in every major city, which is why they can offer 2 day even 1 day shipping, and those packages are delivered by small box trucks and vans 99% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post
    Trucks versus railroads is all about logistics and economics. Shipment by rail is not practical for many manufacturers in the world of efficient "just in time" production. Rail is more efficient for heavy bulk loads like coal. Also rail cannot deliver fuel to gas stations or to deliver to many businesses as tracks don't run there.

Would you like the replacement faucet for your trailer from Amazon shipped via truck or rail? I would assume you would want to use your unit this year, not wait till sometime in 2019.
    I am totally aware of logistics and economics, my point being that the system we've built is not efficient logistically or economically. You're conflating things a bit here. I never said trucks weren't needed. In your faucet example, Amazon fulfills from multiple warehouses and most things that are shipped two day or next day go by plane. When you ordered that faucet, it either came from a nearby Amazon warehouse or via plane to a UPS facility. It was not shipped from California to NY via monster truck.

You are pleading an either/or situation. I am saying that you simply don't need tens of thousands of huge trucks criss-crossing the nation. Roads are built to handle trucks - just not this VOLUME of trucks and it's getting worse.

Now, back to the issue of why we don't have better roads in the worlds most prosperous country ... regardless of how they got destroyed, why are they not in better condition??? I'm not dwelling on trucks - they are merely a huge contributor to the problem, along with neglect. I am dwelling on the fact that our infrastructure of roads is in terrible shape, is being destroyed and is not being sufficiently addressed. We, as taxpayers who fund these roads (through extremely high fuel taxes, tolls, license/registration fees, etc.), are being largely ignored as witnessed by the condition of said roads. We can debate trucks or RV build quality or lousy tires all we want, but really, the topic here is awful roads and what is being or can be done to improve them.

By the way, I'm as guilty as you are of drifting off topic because I responded to your truck comment - sorry.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy82 View Post
    I am totally aware of logistics and economics, my point being that the system we've built is not efficient logistically or economically. You're conflating things a bit here. I never said trucks weren't needed. In your faucet example, Amazon fulfills from multiple warehouses and most things that are shipped two day or next day go by plane. When you ordered that faucet, it either came from a nearby Amazon warehouse or via plane to a UPS facility. It was not shipped from California to NY via monster truck.

You are pleading an either/or situation. I am saying that you simply don't need tens of thousands of huge trucks criss-crossing the nation. Roads are built to handle trucks - just not this VOLUME of trucks and it's getting worse.

Now, back to the issue of why we don't have better roads in the worlds most prosperous country ... regardless of how they got destroyed, why are they not in better condition??? I'm not dwelling on trucks - they are merely a huge contributor to the problem, along with neglect. I am dwelling on the fact that our infrastructure of roads is in terrible shape, is being destroyed and is not being sufficiently addressed. We, as taxpayers who fund these roads (through extremely high fuel taxes, tolls, license/registration fees, etc.), are being largely ignored as witnessed by the condition of said roads. We can debate trucks or RV build quality or lousy tires all we want, but really, the topic here is awful roads and what is being or can be done to improve them.

By the way, I'm as guilty as you are of drifting off topic because I responded to your truck comment - sorry.
    In continuing to derail original topic and bore those who are tired of it (both puns intended), you are right of course. I do see two factors here, the railroads have blown it (starting years ago) and funds slated for highway maintenance have been diverted to other places. I rest my comments.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need to tie the fuel taxes to inflation (as construction certainly is) and then ensure they cannot be used for anything beyond infrastructure.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy82 View Post
    ...We, as taxpayers who fund these roads (through extremely high fuel taxes, tolls, license/registration fees, etc.), are being largely ignored as witnessed by the condition of said roads. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    We need to tie the fuel taxes to inflation (as construction certainly is) and then ensure they cannot be used for anything beyond infrastructure.
    Yes.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to the fees and taxes we pay for roads, trucks contribute thousands of dollars a year in federal and local road taxes to mitigate the damage they do to roads. I saw it on the back of a truck! If you can find a way to get politicians to keep their mitts off of the huge pile of money generated I'd say your on your way to whirled peas.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In reading a bit more about this after my post, it seems the gas tax funds are 100% allocated to infrastructure and have been so except for a brief period from 1990-1997 when a small fraction of the fund was allocated to deficit reduction. Because vehicles are more efficient than they were in 1993 (last time the tax was raised) and because the taxes are not indexed to inflation, the government routinely takes general revenue and supplements the highway trust fund in order to keep it “solvent.” I think it is obvious to all of us that the amount of actual road repair getting done is insufficient for what is ostensibly a modern developed country. This may be due to lack of sufficient spending and/or due to a lack of efficient spending.

Edit: The above only pertains to the Federal fuel tax.
    Last edited by backtrack2015; 10-13-2018 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Clarity
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a show many years ago (can’t remember the name) where they did a stretch of road in the desert somewhere in Arizona. They mixed in little pellets of rubber that they produced from used tires (millions piling up until they “catch” on fire). Anyways, that stretch of interstate was 10+ years old at the time and still smooth and never needed a repair as the rubber contracted and expanded with the temperature changes...

Bottom line was the companies doing the road work didn’t like it as they wouldn’t have to ever re-do their work, so they nixed it.

There are other solutions, it’s just no one but us wants them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 379fls-r

2015 F250 FX4 6.7

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadandMel View Post
    ...Bottom line was the companies doing the road work didn’t like it as they wouldn’t have to ever re-do their work, so they nixed it...
    It's too bad they don't realize there are so many roads to repair it will be a lifetime of first time repairs.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's called job security.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast