User Tag List

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    Fuel taxes have historically been one of the most popular forms of tax because people could see and understand the benefits immediately. The moment you use the tax for anything else, it becomes deeply unpopular (as it should). As a side note, I think we should refrain from partisan insults in our discussion here.
    What partisan insults? "Politicians" is generic. I don't think I've seen one post from anyone mentioning any political party.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy82 View Post
    What partisan insults? "Politicians" is generic. I don't think I've seen one post from anyone mentioning any political party.
    The guilty flee when no man pursues...
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry. I stepped out for a bit. I was referring to the "sheep who couldn't read." I interpreted that as anyone who was in favor of keeping the fuel-tax in CA was a "sheep" who could not think for themselves. Forgive me if that was a misinterpretation.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry. I stepped out for a bit. I was referring to the "sheep who couldn't read." I interpreted that as anyone who was in favor of keeping the fuel-tax in CA was a "sheep" who could not think for themselves. Forgive me if that was a misinterpretation.
    Backtrack2015, No problem!
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $39 billion sounds low, but that's OK. Now, take the number of vehicles on the road X registration fees, tolls (recently I spent $53 to cross just Indiana with my 5 axles), traffic ticket revenue, freight taxes (perhaps there is a trucker on here who can address that), state fuel taxes, etc. There is literally no way I would ever vote for somebody to increase the taxes on my vehicle even further, especially since I am paying almost 20% in taxes on just my fuel. As far as that $85 billion, the taxes I just mentioned should easily cover that and the best part is that the tab wouldn't be nearly so high if the government (state, federal, local)hadn't ignored the problem for decades. The point is that there is enough motorist money going into the pot to maintain the roads, so where is the rest going? Finally, in this day and age $85 billion is a mere drop in the bucket - take a few bucks out of social welfare, defense and mainly pork to just double that - who would notice?
    Stay on the main roads in Michigan as they are 80% gravel. I ask all the time where the road money goes here other than the gravel pits. Michigan is a fantastic state, but the roads here are mostly third world.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the Tax Foundation the top five 2018 rankings of state imposed fuel taxes are (1). PA at 58.70 cents; (2) CA at 55.22 cents; (3) WA at 49.40 cents; (4) HI at 47.88 cents and (5) NY at 45.70 cents. Add an additional 18.40 cents for the federal tax.

What was not clear in the rankings is if local sales tax were included in the state rankings. I know the counties in NY impose 8% (or more) sales tax on each gallon on gas. I’m sure other states do as well.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I read responses to this thread, I am picking up a definite pattern ... the roads/infrastructure in America is failing badly and it seems like the money that motorists spend in vehicle related taxes is being spent elsewhere. Shocking!!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The American Road and Transportation Builders Association has some interesting statistics (with references) on their FAQ page. https://www.artba.org/about/faq/ The discussion includes funding levels, amounts typically allocated to various projects, statistics about total numbers of miles of various roadway types in the country, info about states with the worst/best roads/bridges, and a lot of other interesting stuff. While I don't trust politicians any farther than I can throw them, I personally think the scale of the problem here more than matches the scale of the funding.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally think the scale of the problem here more than matches the scale of the funding.
    And how did the scale of the problem get so huge? I think the roads got this way because they have been neglected for years and because the funding for roads was and is being used for non-road social programs. The answer always seems to be "more taxes" ... then those "earmarked taxes" are squandered on other than what they are intended for, so that later on they can say "we need more taxes to address this problem". Listen to The Temptations Ball of Confusion ... "and more taxes will solve everything". As Margaret Thatcher said - "pretty soon, you run out of other peoples money". As I said "we have lousy roads in the worlds most prosperous country because we have neglected them for years".

The argument that we are underfunding road maitenance just doesn't hold water with me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And how did the scale of the problem get so huge? I think the roads got this way because they have been neglected for years and because the funding for roads was and is being used for non-road social programs. The answer always seems to be "more taxes" ... then those "earmarked taxes" are squandered on other than what they are intended for, so that later on they can say "we need more taxes to address this problem". Listen to The Temptations Ball of Confusion ... "and more taxes will solve everything". As Margaret Thatcher said - "pretty soon, you run out of other peoples money". As I said "we have lousy roads in the worlds most prosperous country because we have neglected them for years".

The argument that we are underfunding road maitenance just doesn't hold water with me.
    Federal fuel-tax money is not spent on social programs. It is quite the opposite, with general funds going toward the highways. NY or CA may well divert state fuel taxes, registration fees, etc to social programs as you suspect. I've not bothered reading about individual states. What does NY do with the fuel-tax money it collects?
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast