User Tag List

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $39 billion sounds low, but that's OK. Now, take the number of vehicles on the road X registration fees, tolls (recently I spent $53 to cross just Indiana with my 5 axles), traffic ticket revenue, freight taxes (perhaps there is a trucker on here who can address that), state fuel taxes, etc. There is literally no way I would ever vote for somebody to increase the taxes on my vehicle even further, especially since I am paying almost 20% in taxes on just my fuel. As far as that $85 billion, the taxes I just mentioned should easily cover that and the best part is that the tab wouldn't be nearly so high if the government (state, federal, local)hadn't ignored the problem for decades. The point is that there is enough motorist money going into the pot to maintain the roads, so where is the rest going? Finally, in this day and age $85 billion is a mere drop in the bucket - take a few bucks out of social welfare, defense and mainly pork to just double that - who would notice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy82 View Post
    Don't agree at all. The gas taxes are high enough. Couple the Fed tax with state fuel taxes (especially in places like NY and CA) and you are paying a ton of taxes on your fuel. Instead of squandering these taxes in a "general fund" somewhere, use them to pay for roads. There's enough money being thrown at "social programs". My point is that with all that we motorists pay in taxes, tolls and fees, we are paying enough (here's an example - I just re-registered my coach for one year in NY state - $270 bucks ... is that enough?) More taxes aren't the answer - new politicians who know something about life, money and the economy is the answer, but not to worry - that certainly won't happen in our lifetime.
    The quote said nothing about state taxes. Obviously, the "blue" states with large urban money pits (cities) are "smarter" than the feds and have been raising fuel taxes left and right. You do seem to agree that gas taxes, whether increased or not, need to be used only for infrastructure/roads.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll chime in what the great state of CA did to us. They raised our gas tax (which is now on the ballot to repeal) AND registration fees in the name of "fixing our roads." However, when they receive a certain percentage of that "new" gas tax, the rest goes to the general funds which in turn can fund Jerry's "Bullet Train to Nowhere."
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    I'll chime in what the great state of CA did to us. They raised our gas tax (which is now on the ballot to repeal) AND registration fees in the name of "fixing our roads." However, when they receive a certain percentage of that "new" gas tax, the rest goes to the general funds which in turn can fund Jerry's "Bullet Train to Nowhere."
    My point exactly.

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like we have a good chance of repealing this one.....will know in a few weeks. THIEVES!!
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Country Livin' View Post
    Sounds like we have a good chance of repealing this one.....will know in a few weeks. THIEVES!!
    Right now it is trending to pass (repeal it). The problem is the way they wrote it on the ballot will confuse some. Yes means no. LOL
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now it is trending to pass (repeal it). The problem is the way they wrote it on the ballot will confuse some. Yes means no. LOL
    Actually part right Curtis. Sheep can't read......(are we still on topic or did I drop into the political arena, a taboo direction? I think we are).
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Country Livin' View Post
    Actually part right Curtis. Sheep can't read......(are we still on topic or did I drop into the political arena, a taboo direction? I think we are).
    Well, the topic is the roads and if what CA is doing impacts that, you are on topic as far as I'm concerned. I started this thread and my whole point was "why aren't the roads in better shape". If it's because politics is preventing earmarked money from getting to the roads, you are on point. At least that's my two cents.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuel taxes have historically been one of the most popular forms of tax because people could see and understand the benefits immediately. The moment you use the tax for anything else, it becomes deeply unpopular (as it should). As a side note, I think we should refrain from partisan insults in our discussion here.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy82 View Post
    Don't agree at all. The gas taxes are high enough. Couple the Fed tax with state fuel taxes (especially in places like NY and CA) and you are paying a ton of taxes on your fuel. Instead of squandering these taxes in a "general fund" somewhere, use them to pay for roads. There's enough money being thrown at "social programs". My point is that with all that we motorists pay in taxes, tolls and fees, we are paying enough (here's an example - I just re-registered my coach for one year in NY state - $270 bucks ... is that enough?) More taxes aren't the answer - new politicians who know something about life, money and the economy is the answer, but not to worry - that certainly won't happen in our lifetime.
    I am from NY as well with the emphasis on FROM. Moved to TN. Official figures state 178,000 folks left last year. When pressed about the issue, the governor said it had to do with "climate change". I apologize if this remark should have been in the jokes section. In any case taxes including fuel, licensing fees etc. are a factor.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast