User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem installing LED taillights

Consulting the wisdom of the group. I am installing the Optronix Led tail lights and have run into an issue. Lights function except the driver side light will not blink either as a turn signal or with the emergency flashers. I'm alone so can not test brake light separately. All is well on the truck side. When i installed the passenger side light module I connected white to white, green to green and the black wire from the twilight was to a second green wire. this was as it was wired when I removed the original fixture. I tested the light and noticed the driver side incandescent fixture did not blink as described as above . Thinking it may be related to differing power requirements , I wentahead and installed the new, LED, driver side assembly.
    There was no change no turn or flasher on the driver side, running lights and license light on. The passenger side flashes normally.
    Any ideas? Thanks for your help
    Dave
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I installed LED bulbs on my 2017 Reflection 297RSTS and it created all kinds of havoc for me. I thought I had a wiring problem with the trailer and wound up doing all kinds of unnecessary wiring upgrades to try and fix it. After much experimentation, I found that the bulbs were the problem. My Ford did not like them. I went back to incandescent bulbs with no further issues.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jim, This is attached to a 2017 GMC. I kept the old fixtures so i goes push comes to shove I can re-install. Buttoned it up for now as we're expecting rain. I did wonder if some how I swapped the green and black wires but can't see how that would affect the opposite side. Hopefully someone will weigh in with a solution.
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It's been awhile since I installed my LED fixtures on my trailer but I do remember the wire color coding was not what I assumed and had to connect and reconnect a few times before I got everything working as they were supposed to but it did end up working correctly in the end.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    It's been awhile since I installed my LED fixtures on my trailer but I do remember the wire color coding was not what I assumed and had to connect and reconnect a few times before I got everything working as they were supposed to but it did end up working correctly in the end.
    Do you remember if white was the ground? Or if not which color was ? On my rig driver side was white , black and green as is the lamp. On the passenger side it was whit and two green leads. The original lamp had the black spliced to a green so I kept it the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tortise View Post
    Do you remember if white was the ground? Or if not which color was ? On my rig driver side was white , black and green as is the lamp. On the passenger side it was whit and two green leads. The original lamp had the black spliced to a green so I kept it the same.

The mind is a terrible thing to waste .... no, I can't remember but that is exactly what I'm talking about. I had to try various combinations of wire connections before I got it right.

Keep at it, they will work once you discover the correct connections. I think I posted a thread when I did it so maybe I'll try to find it and see if I explained it at the time.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    The mind is a terrible thing to waste .... no, I can't remember but that is exactly what I'm talking about. I had to try various combinations of wire connections before I got it right.

Keep at it, they will work once you discover the correct connections. I think I posted a thread when I did it so maybe I'll try to find it and see if I explained it at the time.
    I’m a terrible searcher, didn’t find it, but that doesn’t mean it’s not there[emoji23]

2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first vote would be for white to be ground. After that you should be able to connect power to the other two and know which is driving and which is brake/turn by the brightness on the new fixture.

If not sure which wire on the trailer is turn/brake just connect a volt meter while the turn signal is on and watch for the pulsating 12VDC.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    My first vote would be for white to be ground. After that you should be able to connect power to the other two and know which is driving and which is brake/turn by the brightness on the new fixture.

If not sure which wire on the trailer is turn/brake just connect a volt meter while the turn signal is on and watch for the pulsating 12VDC.
    Thanks, my assumption was white was ground, I’ll try the meter in another day, have a little day trip with the grandkids will chew up daylight tomorrow.

2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine was wired.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turn, Stop, Running Light Wires.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	15589
    Left (Pinbox) to Tail Light had: White = -12v, Green=Tail, Red=Turn & Stop
    Right (Pinbox) to Tail Light had: White = -12v, Green=Tail, Brown=Turn & Stop

Original Lights' wires:
    White = -12v
    Black = Tail
    Green = Turn & Stop

Gene
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast