User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    I read a bunch of the reviews. I do agree with some of them,.
    Thanks for taking the time to follow up on my questions. All gps programs will take you down the wrong road from time to time. Now I just have to justify to myself spending a couple of bucks.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been to Bar Harbor. and you are right! Why does GPS which should see ALL of the alternatives take you around your elbow to scratch your back side? No matter what town you are in it seems that SOMEONE has paid what ever machine company your gps was made by to take everyone down a certain route to appease the local businesses.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Be careful of the things you say and do
    for little eyes are watching you.
    Believe it or not, YOU are a role model.
    2019 Reflection 315 RLTS 2016 Ford F250 diesel

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goggle Map directions work great on phone; never led me down dirt road or through parking lot like Garmin. You have to use good judgement with any electronic directions, Garmin is good about showing you exit lanes on interstates and your speed; I use both Goggle maps on my phone and Garmin but always follow Goggle map directions as Garmin has been wrong to many times. Garmin does work in cases where there are no cell towers nearby for phone to work but this is usually only in rural areas.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learned the hard way a couple of years ago. I was travelling on an interstate through Pennsylvania when my GPS sent my off the interstate through a town and back on the interstate again. We were close to our destination so at first I didn't question the directions. Not much fun with a 36' 5th wheel in tow. Now I preplan every trip on my computer and plot waypoints along the way so I don't get directed off the highway. I also plot all fuel stops and know all exit numbers in advance.

Bob
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Buckskin, I use Google maps a lot. It did however put me on a dirt "turn row" which did have a chunk of old asphalt occasionally. Apparently some time in the past it was a state or local road. We crawled down it a mile or so then came out on a real road and continued merrily on our way. I guess the first time we get really burned we get a different app.
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a Garmin send me down a small paved road which turned to dirt. After 1/4 mile or so it directed me to turn right off a 200 ft cliff. Fortunately I wasn't towing at the time.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been using a Garmin 760 since we got the Reflection over 4 years ago. It has free updates/upgrades and (in my opinion) the navigation ability gets worse with every update. Even travelling areas that it has navigated us through before, it now comes up with routes that are just stupid.

We have been using the GoodSam's Trip Planner app for trip planning (which is about to be discontinued). When Garmin and GoodSam's disagreed . . . we always followed GoodSams. I think we entered rig height/length/etc into GoodSams . . . but, I am not sure about this. I suppose we will now try Google Maps for trip planning . . .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go Off Road!

Not RV specific but a GPS story I think you'll enjoy (at my expense)!

Fran and I are on the Goldwing traveling north on I-75 (we'd left Key West that morning) headed to Sanibel Island when we ran into the mother of all Florida rainstorms. Buckets of water coming from the sky. It was all I could do to keep us in one piece while trusting my Garmin Zumo to get us to Sanibel. I had the display zoomed in so I wouldn't miss a turn. I could have stopped but figured, "It's not that far--we can make it!"

After what seemed like an eternity the rain finally let up as we approached Sanibel only to be cheerfully told at the end of the road in St. James City (we were on Pine Island!) to "Go off Road".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Go Off Road.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	18188

Name:	GoOffRoad2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	18189

I sat there at that dead end looking across the water at Sanibel completely dumbfounded. It was a long ride back around to the hotel where I think I literally peeled myself off the bike.

Gotta love GPS'.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard,
    Maybe GPS thought you were on one of these. Or maybe you should've been
    https://www.gibbssports.com/biski

Cheers,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about a JetWing?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpo View Post
    Howard,
    Maybe GPS thought you were on one of these. Or maybe you should've been
    https://www.gibbssports.com/biski

Cheers,
    Kevin
    I actually wanted one of these:

Name:	GeorgeMobile.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	18190

(So I don't hijack this thread any further...the above was Photoshop'd together from a Jet Ski and a Gold Wing. It was created to tease the leader of my motorcycle club here in Fort Walton Beach that got himself into a little watery mess on a ride through the Black River area north of I-10. But that's a story for another day...)
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast