User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schwintek rail mounting screws

I have noticed several of my Schwintek rail mounting screws missing heads. I covered the hole with liquid aluminum, but would like to put new screw next to missing/headless screw. What size and how long is the current screw, I will probably use stainless to avoid stains and electrolysis. There are and have been many comments about this situation, your suggestion/recommendation will be greatly appreciated.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Sailing View Post
    I have noticed several of my Schwintek rail mounting screws missing heads. I covered the hole with liquid aluminum, but would like to put new screw next to missing/headless screw. What size and how long is the current screw, I will probably use stainless to avoid stains and electrolysis. There are and have been many comments about this situation, your suggestion/recommendation will be greatly appreciated.
    There was a recall on this issue where it would be best to take the RV to the dealer as soon as possible.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    There was a recall on this issue where it would be best to take the RV to the dealer as soon as possible.
    I think the recall you are referring to is not applicable, it is for Imagine TTs and the slide frame mounting. If I recall correctly Smooth Sailing has a Reflection.

We too had some of the screws snap off on the Schwintek aluminum rail. Replaced the broken number 8s with 10s.

Edit: learned something about the forum software this morning. Typing the number or pound sign followed by a number generates a link to a post, not what I wanted when referring to a number 8 screw.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carnolddsm View Post
    I think the recall you are referring to is not applicable, it is for Imagine TTs and the slide frame mounting. If I recall correctly Smooth Sailing has a Reflection.

We too had some of the screws snap off on the Schwintek aluminum rail. Replaced the broken number 8s with 10s.

Edit: learned something about the forum software this morning. Typing the number or pound sign followed by a number generates a link to a post, not what I wanted when referring to a number 8 screw.
    Colan,
    Thanks for the clarity on the recall. If it were me I would still call GDRV on this issue since a recall may be in order for the Reflections too?
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    46 Thread(s)
    Thanks for answering Colan! Hope you are doing well!

Emily

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EStahley View Post
    Thanks for answering Colan! Hope you are doing well!

Emily
    Emily,

Colan answered the question on the recall but is it acceptable for screw heads to be breaking off on the Reflections?
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    46 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Emily,

Colan answered the question on the recall but is it acceptable for screw heads to be breaking off on the Reflections?

That can be a hard one to answer. I can only speculate.

Those screws should be checked as part of your regular maintenance. I always recommend checking those (even when I was with LCI) when you check your seals or roof. They can back out over time. If you think about the torque that sysme has.... there is a chance they could loosen up. If they loosen up and back out a bit... that slide system, running on dual motors, can snap one of those heads off. SO just keep an eye on it

There is also the fact that during install, we could have over torqued them, or ran them in and caused something to strip.

Please understand we are not perfect, and accidents happen. Just want to be honest and give yo all aspects!

Hope this helps!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Sailing View Post
    Smooth Sailing,
    Can you provide a picture of the broken screws? Is this on the outside panels or is this on the inside of the RV? On the Imagine recall, the issue was with the outside panels.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had 3 heads break off of these screws. I just cover the old screw with silicone and put a new screw beside it putting a dab of silicone in the screw hole. I would suspect it's simply a case of overtorquing the screws when the units were built. The same goes for the screws around the baggage doors
    John & Joanne
    2018 Solitude 374TH
    2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC DRW
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic