User Tag List

Thread: Wind

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wind

Hi I did a search here on driving in wind but just want to get current thoughts since we are total newbies. Tomorrow we go west on the 10 in SoCal to beach near Santa Barbara with our Solitude 310 pulled by our Silverado 2500 diesel. The Santa Ana’s are going to be blowing at 20-25. NNE. One we get to the beach should be fine but we’ll be going through LA traffic west with these NNE winds. Are we going to be ok? Any advice appreciated.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The problem with those Santa Ana winds is that they are so unpredictable. They may generally be 20-25 mph, but if you get into a canyon, they can be magnified to 50 mph or greater. I used to drive from Victorville to Pomona for work purposes. Even though the Santa Ana's were not too bad in most places, they could exceed 100 mph at the bottom of Cajon Pass and you'd see dozens of trailers and semis tipped over.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’re going from Palm Springs so the 10 over to Pasadena and then Ventura Highway out from there.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be just fine in 20-25mph winds. We've driven that route when winds were supposed to be 40-45mph (crosswind). There was a lot of stuff flying around which made me nervous at the start of the drive but it was fine. I just drove a little slower than normal.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Cabazon and White Water areas will be the big test on I-10. Once you get past there, you should be in pretty good shape. Just check the wind speeds ahead of time.

Jim

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be extra careful, though, since you are very likely over the GVWR on your truck pulling a 310GK with a 3/4-ton truck (the 310 is really a 1-ton fifth wheel).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Changed our reservations to one day later. Wind warnings getting worse for massive Santa Ana’s all day tomorrow. Gusts up to 60. Don’t want to be going through LA traffic in that. We’ll leave Tuesday instead. Thanks for all the tips.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd just lean into the wind and try to tack.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually