User Tag List

Thread: Metal Working

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Metal Working

Metal working is my big hobby but unfortunately it does not lend itself to the RV lifestyle well, most of the welding and cutting machines are not portable and anvils and forges are pretty heavy to haul around. We are not planning to full time so I will continue with my hobbies when home. I do have a smallish 59 lb Swedish anvil that I might be tempted to take along if we are going to be near any blacksmith events.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I make medieval armor and plan on going full time in my Solitude and tried to figure out a way to make a small, light, portable shop. I think I could manage to make up a bare bones set up but not bringing my 125 LB. Peter Wright would make me sad.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightclimber View Post
    Yeah, I make medieval armor and plan on going full time in my Solitude and tried to figure out a way to make a small, light, portable shop. I think I could manage to make up a bare bones set up but not bringing my 125 LB. Peter Wright would make me sad.
    If you are an ABANA member you can probably find anvils to use throughout the country, not too many places to set up anyway, well maybe way out in the sticks. I picked up a nice A&H made in 1918, weighs 149 lbs so that won't be going anywhere. The Sweden made 59 pounder is really nice with a 90% rebound. One of the members here in town invented a gas forge to make helmets in one piece, his plans are available on Anvilfire.

I seriously doubt I'll take anything on the road unless I am going to an event, but you never know. I'll probably just end up dragging stuff home from all over the country. Collecting anvils could sure put the hurt on payload!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightclimber View Post
    If we are ever in the same area i would like to chat with you. Don't know a damn thing about metal working but anyone into medieval armor is someone I want to hang out with one afternoon and geek out.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The payload and lack of opportunity to really pound away at metal without disturbing everyone in a three mile radius is the reason I am considering switching hobbies when I retire.

Aridon, you are welcome anytime. I love to talk and share what I know.