Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interstate 40: Knoxville to Flagstaff

Hi, all

A very broad question... We're heading west on I-40 in a few days from Tennessee, destination southern Arizona for the winter. Do you have any suggestions on things to see or places stay along the way? We are planning a relaxed traverse, so places somewhat out of the direct path are very appropriate / welcome.We're equipped for boondocking, so don't need RV parks all the time. State parks, Army Corps, BLM, etc are great!

Thanks for any recommendations.
    Al and Kathe
    House: Bass Harbor, Maine
    Home: Wherever we're parked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Highlighted states are those we have camped in for at least one night in our Solitude.
    2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett) / 2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A couple of really interesting places near flagstaff:

1. Meteor Crater
    2. Wupatki National Monument
    3. Sunset Crater National Monument

If you are looking for a boondocking site within 20 miles of Flagstaff, send me a PM and I'll provide you coordinates for a few of them. But this time of the year, you may have to contend with snow.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Montgomery Bell State Park a little west of Nashville. About 10 miles off 40, bottom land near the creek with lovely hiking trails.

Meemam Shelby State Park a little north of Memphis. A trip to Beale Street is worth the effort.

Lake Dardanelle State Park a little west of Little Rock AR. Or a Segway south through Hot Springs National Park. The camping there was a little snug for our 40'er but we got it done, then went on up to Mount Magazine State Park.

In Amarillo dinner at Big Texan Steak House was fun, very hokey/touristy, but the food was good and the free steak challenge tempting. We stay at the AOk campground a little east of there, horrid little campground. But it was easy access and Passport rate of $12.50.

We didn't stay in Albuquerque but veered north into Santa Fe and stayed at Big Skies RV park, pretty decent. There was plenty of hiking out near the Indian Reservations with lots of historical stuff to look at. Then heading into to town for shops and dinner.

A stop at Holbrook, NM and some hiking in the Petrified National Forest.

Another Segway south at Flagstaff. We stayed at the Cottonwood State Park and drove up to Sedona. Actually we took the dirt bikes via the back jeep roads and visited the Indian Cliff Dwellings. Beautiful red rocks.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Al, while near Flagstaff, check out the Lowell Observatory. This where they discovered Pluto. Also the Clark telescope, where all the Apollo astronauts plotted their moon missions. While we were there they set it up on a distant star and let us look through it. At evening, they set up telescopes all around the grounds for public viewing.
    Just a real cool side trip.

John and Carol Joscelyne
    John & Carol Joscelyne and Hexy
    Red 2014 Ford F-350 Platinum, SRW, CC, Short bed with roll-N-lock cover.
    With replacement 50 gallon TransferFlow fuel tank, Magnaflow air intake, Edge CT turner.
    Pullrite superglide fifth wheel hitch.
    2015 Grand Design 305RE Solitude, with slide out toppers, <new>Titan disc brakes and Goodyear "G" rated tires.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you considered using I20 to I10? Much more to see. San Antonio was great. KOA on north side of town is very good. Weather would be warmer too. Roads were good last time through. Carlsbad was nice to see
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Places we have visited along I-40 and really enjoyed are:

1) The National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis
    2) The Ozark National Forest near FT Smith, AR
    3) Red Rock Canyon State Park, OK (west of OKC). This is a hidden gem of a campground down in a narrow red sandstone canyon.
    4) Palo Duro Canyon south of Amarillo, TX.
    5) Albuquerque and Santa Fe, NM, both have a lot to offer. Santa Fe has a lot of history and a great museum. (Full disclosure: I'm a native New Mexican and lived in Santa Fe... love it!)
    6) If you make it as far as Flagstaff before turning south, the Grand Canyon is a bucket list visit if you haven't been already. The north rim is not "winter friendly" and the south rim can get pretty cold, too, but it's breathtaking.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's so much to see in the Knoxville/Smokey Mountain area--at the start of the segment being asked about. There are an incredible number of campgrounds all over that region.

Nashville is another city with just so much to see and do. There are campgrounds out at the Opryland area, and also on Percy Priest Lake. Montgomery Bell State Park previously mentioned is nice, and about 25 miles west of the city.

Memphis is another underrated city, better known for its poverty than the good things--like the greatest barbeque. The state park in Millington is easy to get to with an interstate highway north from the Arlington exit. There is also a campground across the river from downtown. Graceland is a very popular tourist stop, but I hear the Stax Museum is absolutely fantastic.

Little Rock is just 135 miles west of Memphis' Mississippi River, and there are a number of nice campgrounds northwest of there--like Petit Jean State Park, west of Conway at Morrillton.

I'll have to drop off at that point, as I've never camped further west. I do remember on my one trip to Flagstaff that I-40 in Western Oklahoma was incredibly rough and it's uphill from the eastern side of New Mexico to the Arizona state line.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies so far! We obviously have a lot to think about. We're currently at Great Smoky Mountains NP. We are not ruling out finishing on 10, depending on weather. We'd like to possibly get some Utah time in before swinging south, which is why we're leaning toward 40. If winter is closing in as we get out there, we'll probably go south instead. We had actually considered going out along the Gulf coast the whole way, but have put that off to another trip.

Again thanks! And more suggestions are still welcome.
    -Al
    Al and Kathe
    House: Bass Harbor, Maine
    Home: Wherever we're parked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Highlighted states are those we have camped in for at least one night in our Solitude.
    2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett) / 2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If passing through Arkansas, both Petit Jean State Park and Mt. Magazine State Park are worthy stops. The sunsets from the bluffs at Mt. Magazine are incredible and the bluffs are walkable from the campground. Likely openings during the week. Very good hiking at both parks. Advantage Mt. Magazine for sunsets, advantage Petit Jean for hiking trails. Full hookups at both parks. Petit Jean SP is about 30 minutes from I-40, Mt, Magazine closer to 45-55 minutes from I-40. Really cannot go wrong with either.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Carlsbad was nice to see
    In Carlsbad tonight, had a heck of a time finding a place to stay, all the RV parks are booked, booked, booked, I asked what was going on and was told the oil fracking business has boomed and people are struggling to find housing. We are in Brantley Lake State Park for 2 nights then headed on down to Big Bend. Line at the propane fill place, line in Walmart, line in Albertsons, everyone driving oil utility trucks and wearing outdoor work wear.

Still a super good place to visit, just know before you go.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750