User Tag List

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long range planning Highway 2, WA to Maine

We have gotten into a rut. So to force ourselves out of the rut and to explore new territory (for us) we are planning on leaving Everett, WA and driving via Highway US 2 to the best of our ability to Houlton, Maine. We will leave in the middle of June and turn south when the leaves change.

Because we have had trouble making reservations, particularly on the weekends. I am asking for recommendations on places to stop. It's a big ask, because you don't know us and our habits. So I am going to be a little rude and list some preferences.

We aren't big on cities, restaurants, tourist destinations. We don't do museums. We don't like to shop.

We do like natural areas, lakes, streams, rivers. We are active people, white water kayaking, bicycle riding, off road motorcycle riding, climbing, hiking.

Yes it really is 41' long and hard to park.

Upper Peninsula is big time on our list, although we don't exactly know we will do there. I'll have to do something with the guns if I am going to cross into Canada.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dallas - not certain the value of my feedback today as when we traveled HW 2 it was 15 or so years ago. We took HW 2 from HW 83 in North Dakota to Glacier National Park. Not much traffic back then and a good road. Not certain what the Williston, ND area oil boom has done to the western stretch of HW2 in recent years but suspect this along with the passing of the years much has changed.

Like you we enjoy getting away but also enjoy some of the metro areas offerings when unique. While our mission was to get to Glacier we also wanted to visit the upper Missouri River dams (Lake Sakakawea, Garrison, ND and Fort Peck Lake and dam in MT) We are 4 decade boaters having fished and done pleasure boating in all the upper Missouri River reservoirs. We wanted to boat on Lake Sakakawea and check out Fort Peck, MT. These are clean deep massive lakes in sparsely populated and rugged central ND prairie and more hilly eastern MT country. No shopping, no restaurants, no cities, no tourists and maybe just one fuel station back in the day. Here is the link to the upper Missouri River Dams/etc.: https://www.nwo.usace.army.mil/Missi...ri-River-Dams/

We stayed at the corp campgrounds (Fort Stevenson on the north side of Lake Sakakawea by Garrision, ND) and the corp campground below the dam at Fort Peck, Mt. There is also a CG on the south side of the lake from Garrison (Lake Sakakawea State Park by Pick City, ND) which was preferred and more heavily used then but we could not get in. I suspect much has changed but in ND, maybe not.

As part of our trip we also wanted to check out the headwaters of the Missouri river (Jefferson, Madison, and Gallatin rivers) of which we did and boy was that a primitive area back in the day. We did this on our return trip home from Glacier using I 90 which may not be in the cards for your trip as HW 2 is north quite abit. They have established a MT State Park there now with a small CG and more facilities. Here is that link:http://stateparks.mt.gov/missouri-headwaters

You may also want to check out the Devils Lake, ND area as it is right off HW 2. We have not been there but it is a popular and highly rated area in ND.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Ambitious plan which, after a quick bing search, is described as “The Great Epic Northern Road Trip”. After the UP in MI, you might consider dropping down to connect with 95, heading east along the Great Lakes. From there, you can go north again to the St. Laurence, or east into the Adirondacks. So many amazing lakes and rivers in the northeast. Whenever we want to explore a place, I search for “campgrounds near ____”. Results usually give you a link to the CG website where you can get a quick “feel” if it will be a good fit for you. We tend to stick to smaller, under 200 sites, campgrounds.
    Nancy
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did hwy 2 on the way home from Glacier. Between there and MN there isn't much and we found it to be on the boring side visually. Need auto pilot and a long nap, not much traffic and LOTS of farm fields. I think we stayed in a Walmart over night and Red River State Park in MN that used to be a neighborhood that was torn down due to flooding.

The UP has no shortage of nature, hiking etc. An abundance of waterfalls to hike to . There's a great book called 199 waterfalls in MI , I call it my UP bible lol. It is dated but has accurate directions and descriptions. Mostly on the Western side. The Sturgeon river gorge wilderness area is a beautiful place to hike in the middle of noplace. Lots of kayaking on rivers or Lk Superior. Be sure to stay on the shoreline either McLain or the Porkies SP offer sunset views that can be awesome if you happen to get lucky. McLain is in the process of rebuilding some camp spots due to bad storms causing lakeshore erosion. Also be ready for skeeters and black flies depending on when you get there. We have never stayed in private parks in the UP so can't offer any suggestions.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having lived in Michigan most of my life, and now in Minnesota, I can offer a little to see and do .
    On hwy 2going thru Minnesota near Walker is leach lake. Great boating and fishing.
    Spend time in Duluth Mn. Head up to west shore of Superior to Lutsen.
    As you head on 2 thru Wisconsin, stop around Ashland. Apostle island, Bayfield.
    In The UP I suggest taking M28 to the south shore of Superior. Stop around copper harbor up M141 in the keweenwa .
    After Marquette, stop near Munising, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.
    Cross the Mackinaw bridge and see the Island.
    Below the bridge head south on M31 to Petoskey, then onto Traverse City and the sand dunes National Park.
    There is way too much to discribe between MT and Michigan,
    I have also lost of great travels north of Sault Ste Marie Ont. up the east side of Superior.
    While in Maine don’t forget Bar Harbor, Arcadia National Park is great.
    Have a great trip
    2016 Ram 3500 SWD 3:73 Turbo Diesel 6'4"" box
    OEM puck Pro 16K
    2021 Reflection 311BHS
    Previous:
    2017 Reflection 29RS
    Reese Sidewinder Hitch
    Platte Lake MN.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your posts. Information is power, planning makes for a smooth adventure. I know it's a ways away, but recent experiences have taught us that if we don't make reservations early we get stuck. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750