Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th Wheel Hitch/Unhitch Question

Please note I have a Ford F250 with 6.5 Ft bed and we are thinking about purchasing Grand Design Reflection 295RL.
    I am new to 5th wheel so I hope I am asking this right.
    My driveway is not leveled with the street and about 2 feet higher and slops up to the house. To hitch and unhitch does 5th wheel need to be level?
    My other concern is in order to back into my driveway, I have to make a sharp turn that essentially places the truck and tow vehicle at a 130° angle. Can I hitch/unhitch at this angle , or do I have to be reasonably straight?
    Last edited by Papahoosh; 10-16-2018 at 11:44 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uploaded a photo.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RV.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	15685

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two areas of concern. The front of the trailer will be higher than the rear and will probably require cribbing under the landing gear to get the trailer level. Hard to visualize but driveway may be too steep.The second concern is keeping the trailer on the slope as it has no parking brake so really good tire chocks would be necessary. You should back in from the other direction from what you indicate in your picture to avoid the very tight turn. You can hitch/unhitch at an angle if you have a 5th wheel tailgate. Stock tailgate will contact the trailer when trying to hitch at an angle.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my Solitude, I would not be able to unhitch at an angle like that with the tailgate on. I too put it on a slope, I put blocks (about 10") under the landing legs then unhitch. BUT mine is a straight shot. Hope this helps.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mentioned above, come in from the other direction. If you're on good terms with your neighbor across the street you might he able to pull forward into their driveway a little bit and straighten out your truck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't have to be level to hitch. 2ft over what? 18 feet from truck front to rear? That seems doable in my head. You'll have to see when you get there. You can always board up there rear of the truck it necessary but you'll probably be fine. The units slope down as the forward Jack's go down so you can lift the truck or the RV if necessary.

Backing up shouldn't be a problem at all based on your picture. You can un hitch at an angle without issue the limiting factor is the space between the cab and front cap. Start your turn at a favorable angle, the sharper you try to turn the more difficult you make it. Use the entire road.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From your photo it looks like the trailer will be blocking the sidewalk while parked in your driveway. Will your city say anything about that.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we lived in a subdivision that resembles the one in your photo I always parked the camper on the street for loading/unloading, washing, etc. and we have always used off site covered storage. Having the camper there full time for storage was a violation of the HOA covenants. Our driveway was too steep to manage with a travel trailer or fifth wheel.

I definitely agree that blocking the sidewalk is an issue whether the city has an opinion or not. Think of the mom pushing a stroller with another young child on a bicycle with training wheels in tow or a person using a wheelchair. You don’t want to force those people onto the street or your lawn. I hope you can figure something out.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May be a no no on your driveway. In our town I had to put in a stone pad on the side of the house. Check local codes. Did you buy a slider hitch?
    Tom and Sandi
    2017 337RLS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by st2rv View Post
    May be a no no on your driveway. In our town I had to put in a stone pad on the side of the house. Check local codes. Did you buy a slider hitch?
    Same in our city. You can store your RV at your home, IF you can put it beside your house (not in driveway). Of course, none of the lots here have enough room at the side of the house for an rv slab.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast