User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    Glad to hear the parts are on the way. You won't have any problems replacing the springs...maybe it's time to repack the wheel bearings while your half way there.

Hope to see you in Indiana next summer.

Red
    That's the working plan Red. BTW, I just did the bearings and new brake pads last month.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure they send you Dexter springs or you'll be in the same boat still.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    Make sure they send you Dexter springs or you'll be in the same boat still.
    Well I'll be happy with whatever they send but it will be interesting to see what arrives.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    So I was outside cleaning out my pass through after our 2 week trip to Yosemite, Lake Tahoe and Santa Cruz Redwoods and went to put my fishing poles back in my storage tubes at the rear of the trailer and as I was gazing forward i saw something hanging from the suspension. Hmm, what's that I said? A closed look and it's my rear street side spring hanging there! Damn

And take a look at the curb side spring:

So now I need to get a new set of springs.

Can someone tell me, before I call GD, what size springs came on my 2015 337? Would it be 3,000 lb because they are 6,000 lb axles or is that too simple?

I run heavy, as most of you know. I'm just under my gvwr so assume 13,500 lb. Interestingly I asked GD and Lippert to look at my springs at the Rally in 2017 because, in my view, they were flat. They said they were fine but I disagreed. Anyway, whatever.

Since I'm replacing all 4 spring packs, any suggestions on what I should go with?
    I'm of the impression that Lippert, GD, et al are clueless when it comes to springs. I know that sounds irrational since a big part of Lippert's business is springs, but just take a look at the number of failures on just this forum. In my case, whenever I have a spring question about any of my vehicles, I take them to a shop who lives and breathes springs - in my case, it's Thruway Spring in Rochester, NY. If you go to GD or Lippert, you'll wind up with the same lousy springs that failed in the first place. I'll take my chances with someone who's business is springs. Your other option is to go with the high priced but effective Mor-Ryde solution. By the way - glad you caught this while the coach was sitting in your driveway.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always wondered if the Chinese are using recycled steel (old rusty cars) to make these springs. I have seen evidence of recycled steel before in other products. They were full of pits. The American and Canadian springs are of much better quality.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The majority of steel manufactured today is made from recycling.
    The difference in U.S.A. made metals is that we keep a closer eye on the properties to keep the metallurgy the same from piece to piece.
    That being said we have had people supply there own material for jobs and found after machining they had purchased china material. Huge difference in a piece of material that is 3 feet long in the way it machines from part to part. We along with all of our steady customers will only order and buy material manufactured here in the states with certifications. This does not stop manufactures of the materials from using scrap materials from outside the U.S.. But does ensure that the material is made to stricter guidelines. Therefor if you are shopping for new springs find American made if you can. Not sure if any springs are manufactured here but that would be the best or close to it. Another thing to watch for is mis-labeled products. This is still happening where a company sells something made in the U.S.A. that is actually not made here.

Brian

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    So after a couple weeks of delay in getting the correct springs, I got the new springs installed this week and, since the spring failure resulted in some collateral damage of damaging one of my rigid brake lines, I took the opportunity to finish an upgrade I had planned for 1 1/2 years.

The stopmytrailer disc brake kit uses rubber lines wrapped around the axles to cross to the other side of the trailer. 1 1/2 years ago someone here (who I regret I can't remember) posted their solution and I immediately purchased the parts but just never got around to it. Since I had to break open the hydraulic system to fix the broken line, I made this upgrade as well.

First a couple pictures of the new 3500# springs in place.

Old bent 3000# spring:

New 3500# springs:

2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Although you can see the new brake lines in the photos above, here are a couple more:

I will be getting at least one more T-bolt clamp to secure this junction like I was able to do on the other axle, shown above.

BTW, you probably can't tell from the pictures but the lines are run on the back side of the axle.

I like it all. Now I just need to re-bleed the system and we should be ready to get back on the road.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Paul,

I like the look of that stainless steel braided brake line. I have the original hoses that came from StopYourTrailer, but I did run the long hose straight across the back of the axle. On mine, one short side hose got pulled pretty hard during the spring hanger replacement process, so I was thinking about replacement.

It looks like you replaced only the long hose across the axle. What about the drop hose and the short side hose? Where did you source these stainless braid hoses?

Rob

Edit: BTW, new springs look "right" .
    Edit #2 : Rust on your axles looks identical to rust on mine.
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 10-27-2018 at 02:31 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Paul,

I like the look of that stainless steel braided brake line. I have the original hoses that came from StopYourTrailer, but I did run the long hose straight across the back of the axle. On mine, one short side hose got pulled pretty hard during the spring hanger replacement process, so I was thinking about replacement.

It looks like you replaced only the long hose across the axle. What about the drop hose and the short side hose? Where did you source these stainless braid hoses?

Rob

Edit: BTW, new springs look "right" .
    Edit #2 : Rust on your axles looks identical to rust on mine.
    I will have to watch that but I still have some play on the street side (which is where I ran my main feed line) so I can shift them a bit to give me some more length on the curb side. Actually, I still need to get under there again to bleed the brakes so I think I will just go ahead and do that.

I was going to replace all the rubber lines but the whole project got a little expensive, so I kept those. I know I should have replaced them as well but I chose not to.

Just between you and me (yeah, right, the whole forum is reading ) I had to replace my U-bolts because I had previously hacked about an inch off of them with a sawzall and it boogered up the threads and I couldn't get the buts back on so ... see those beautiful new grade 8 U-bolts? Custom length and bent bolts that cost me $190!!!!!!!!!!! I'm such a goof. I went to a local spring shop that I've used before on other projects and I knew they custom bent U-bolts and mine are longer than OEM due to the blocks so I drove over in my Buick and all the guys were all over it so I asked one to make me the bolts and I never asked how much it would be! What a goof.

I am lucky because I have a huge custom VW buggy and sandrail Shop near me that has a huge selection of fittings and braided lines.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast