User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul thank you for that info. Yes, surprisingly not expensive. The springs will be on the list possibly before the brakes.
    Kevin and Laura
    Eastern Suburb of Cincinnati, OH
    2015 Reflection 323BHS -
    Steadyfast, RV-CO Steps, LED underbelly Lights, BH Jack knife bed support mod
    2007 GMC Sierra 3500 Classic Duramax CC DRW
    Stock- No Tunes - No deletes
    Power steering fluid cooler

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    So I was outside cleaning out my pass through after our 2 week trip to Yosemite, Lake Tahoe and Santa Cruz Redwoods and went to put my fishing poles back in my storage tubes at the rear of the trailer and as I was gazing forward i saw something hanging from the suspension. Hmm, what's that I said? A closed look and it's my rear street side spring hanging there! Damn

And take a look at the curb side spring:

So now I need to get a new set of springs.

Can someone tell me, before I call GD, what size springs came on my 2015 337? Would it be 3,000 lb because they are 6,000 lb axles or is that too simple?

I run heavy, as most of you know. I'm just under my gvwr so assume 13,500 lb. Interestingly I asked GD and Lippert to look at my springs at the Rally in 2017 because, in my view, they were flat. They said they were fine but I disagreed. Anyway, whatever.

Since I'm replacing all 4 spring packs, any suggestions on what I should go with?
    Photo two gives us a look at how spring wrap with the equalizer rotation could easily be putting excessive forces on the rear hanger (or front) which looks pulled in. Check the welds on this hanger Poppy. Since the front spring lifts in heavy braking, the rear spring had to endure all these forces. Its interesting the way this spring wrapped up since it gives us an image in possibly how these hangers are failing. I doubt the blocks are adding any significant torque to the spring but the addition of the disc brakes would add significant rotation to the axle and resultant spring wrap if the gains are set high enough. The stronger springs would help in this case to prevent spring wrap or wind up and hanger failure.
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 11-18-2018 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Better description
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Per Kevin's suggestion, I will move this latest "spring strength" discussion to its own thread.
    I will call it "Matching Springs to Load Carried" https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...o-Load-Carried
    It will take some digging, but perhaps we can provide links to the many discussions on this topic from a few years back, for those interested in the history.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 04-15-2019 at 03:59 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul,

I have had this issue, and from reading all of the posts, this seems to be a common problem. I have a 2017 377MBS to which I broke a leaf spring (drivers side) just before last Christmas (2018). I luckily made it to my destination, where I was able to change the leaf spring on my own. It did, however, cause enough damage to where I had two new tires installed and new brakes. Then just last month I noticed my trailer sagging to one side as I hitched up to depart an RV park, so I took a look under the trailer and saw another broken leaf spring (passenger side). I again replaced the leaf spring on my own, and it had not been driven on that way, so no other damage was present. I am now fearful that this is a trending failure and am concerned of when the next leaf spring may break again. I just bought two more leaf springs to replace the other two springs that had not yet been replaced, but I think this re-occurring failure should be looked at by GD. I have dual 7000# axles with 25-1/4" 6-leaf springs. Maybe they should have made this a triple axle 5th wheel?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345