User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

New Member of the Broken Spring Club :(

So I was outside cleaning out my pass through after our 2 week trip to Yosemite, Lake Tahoe and Santa Cruz Redwoods and went to put my fishing poles back in my storage tubes at the rear of the trailer and as I was gazing forward i saw something hanging from the suspension. Hmm, what's that I said? A closed look and it's my rear street side spring hanging there! Damn

And take a look at the curb side spring:

So now I need to get a new set of springs.

Can someone tell me, before I call GD, what size springs came on my 2015 337? Would it be 3,000 lb because they are 6,000 lb axles or is that too simple?

I run heavy, as most of you know. I'm just under my gvwr so assume 13,500 lb. Interestingly I asked GD and Lippert to look at my springs at the Rally in 2017 because, in my view, they were flat. They said they were fine but I disagreed. Anyway, whatever.

Since I'm replacing all 4 spring packs, any suggestions on what I should go with?
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poppy looking at the pic of your curb side spring I say you are in a lot of trouble!!!!!!!!!!! I would go back and research the other post on springs.......... Lucky you caught it while you where not on the road.......
    John & Joan
    w/Dakota & Cooper
    Tidewater VA
    2016 303 RLS (#7608) Build 3/16
    Dodge 2004.5 S/B
    B & W Companion Slider Hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poppy

WOW.
    Being as you have 6000# axels they will be 3000# springs. I also see you have correct track. Would you mind inspecting the spring hangers ?
    Where the spring hangers are welded to the frame is an area of concern.
    I would also think about upgrading to 7000# axels. Seeing that you have disc brakes these put a lot ore stress on the springs because they have a greater stopping force that then gets transferred to the spring. Not saying that the disc brakes caused this but could be a contributing factor.
    When GD said the springs were fine I would have disagreed as well.
    Just an opinion here but at least go with a good set of heavier springs.

Good luck and keep us posted..

Brian

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    ...Since I'm replacing all 4 spring packs, any suggestions on what I should go with?
    The way you load, Paul, I was going to suggest finding a couple of tag axles with springs from a dump truck. On a more practical track, how about MOR/ryde IS?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Paul,

Well . . . that's not good . . . at least you discovered this while safely parked !

You are correct that you have 3000 lb 4 leaf LCI springs. Probably PN 122111. I tried these for a while on the heavy side of my 303, but ended up going to 5 leaf UNA111 springs. I would think that you should at least go with these or maybe better yet, go to LCI 122113 6 leaf 3500lb springs.

I bought several different springs when going through my side-to-side levelling project and no matter what brand name, unless these are custom made, they all come from China and the quality is suspect.

See the attached spring summary from Pat Wardell.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spring Alternatives.pdf  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got 3000# springs on my 29RS. I would think you would need something a little stiffer. Those disc brakes really generate some torque, eh? Just noticed you've got lifting blocks under the springs also. Looks like a perfect storm, under sized springs, lift blocks and disc brakes.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You probably don't want to hear this, but if you plan to put a lot more miles on the unit, at least take a look at Morryde suspension. If you compare units side by side, the IS will sell itself.
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poppy,

I replaced the springs on our 337 with 3500# springs. They are MUCH better than the original springs. I got them from Denver Spring and they told me they are american made with american steel. I hope I can believe them. I gained about 2" of of clearance on the tires.

Talk to a local spring shop and see if you can get springs that are American or Candian steel. As a side note, it still does not set quite level, low on the street (kitchen slide) side, but not nearly as bad as original.

My $0.01 worth.
    George
    George and Connie
    Commerce City, CO
    Webpilot
    Solitude 380FL
    2014 Ram 3500 Dually
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my goodness Paul - your pictures give more questions than answers. Like others mentioned, the disc brakes can put more force on the springs, I wonder how much additional force was transferred to the springs due to the G-rated tires vs OEM E-rated tires, and most amazing to me is: How did you get home without a serious mishap?!

Thank goodness my 2018 337RLS has 7k lb axles with 5 leaf springs.

Most of all - glad yall made it home safely.
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, Paul - not good but glad you caught it at home. Apparently it must have just happened as it seems you certainly would have noticed this when pulling and looking in the mirrors.

Looks like Rob got the information you requested. It may be worth a contact with Jerry to see if he would change over to 7K axles/springs for you. Yes, you would have to repair the current situation (no big deal for your skills) and then next August in IN have Jerry's team fix you up. The 337 should have 7k axles/springs just as we now have 6K axles/springs under our 303. The heavy street side when loaded is pushing (and exceeding) the limits of your current 6K axles/springs as it did with our 5.2K axles/springs. Best thing we did.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast