User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflection? Winter Usage

So, anybody fulltime in a Reflection? I've got a Reflection 337 and am in Kansas with it at the moment. We had a couple 28 degree nights so far. All I know is the insulation in this thing held up way better than my previous Jay Flight. A space heater on each end, and we had to turn them down so the furnace would kick in at 72. So I'm feeling a lot better about heading to Colorado with it in a week. I did opt for a heated water hose, and also just heat traced the softener and water loop install I did in the pass through.

So, if you full time in your Reflection, how does it hold up in the winter?

Also if you had to pick a next winter mod, would it be a skirt or slide toppers? Don't say both, which first?
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 10-18-2018 at 12:02 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    So, anybody fulltime in a Reflection? I've got a Reflection 337 and am in Kansas with it at the moment. We had a couple 28 degree nights so far. All I know is the insulation in this thing held up way better than my previous Jay Flight. A space heater on each end, and we had to turn them down so the furnace would kick in at 72. So I'm feeling a lot better about heading to Colorado with it in a week. I did opt for a heated water hose, and also just heat traced the softener and water loop install I did in the pass through.

So, if you full time in your Reflection, how does it hold up in the winter?

Also if you had to pick a next winter mod, would it be a skirt or slide toppers? Don't say both, which first?
    From living in Wyoming with all of its wind and snow my first choice would be Skirting. Also From what I have seen I would think long and hard about slide toppers. The toppers I have seen on long term trailers here are in very bad shape from the wind beating them and the weight of snow. Just my Op.
    Richard and Cheryl
    2019 Solitude 372FB-R
    2016 F350 Dually FX4
    2015 Can Am SXS SDX 1000
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe Rob (Second Chance) is full time in their 337. You can PM Rob if He does not respond to this thread. He is most helpful and willing to share. There are others but they escape me right now.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Reflection?

We’re full timing in a baby Reflection.

Last few nights (Oregon and California) the lows were about 24F.

Furnace is set to 65 and we have an electric blanket on the bed.

I have an after market thermometer with 1 internal and 2 remote sensors. Sensor 1 is in the front compartment where my lithiums are. Sensor 2 is in the pass-through. I have two 3” holes cut into the wall that divides the 2 compartments. With this setup, the front compartment never gets below 50, and the pass through never gets below 56.

When we get up in the morning we crank the furnace up to 72.

Probably overkill or useless, but I run the water heater for 15 minutes before bed and when we get up.

So far no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Clarified title.

Jim - moderator

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    We’re full timing in a baby Reflection.

Last few nights (Oregon and California) the lows were about 24F.

Furnace is set to 65 and we have an electric blanket on the bed.

I have an after market thermometer with 1 internal and 2 remote sensors. Sensor 1 is in the front compartment where my lithiums are. Sensor 2 is in the pass-through. I have two 3” holes cut into the wall that divides the 2 compartments. With this setup, the front compartment never gets below 50, and the pass through never gets below 56.

When we get up in the morning we crank the furnace up to 72.

Probably overkill or useless, but I run the water heater for 15 minutes before bed and when we get up.

So far no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do you have a link to the thermometer?

Where did you put those holes?

We just started full time in a 337. Picked it up in May then camped around where we live in NY for the summer and left in October. We are now in florida so our problem is heat not cold right now lol.
    Adam & Juli
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2018 Ford F350 CCSB SRW
    Comfort Ride Hitch Model 184 and Reese Sidewinder

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a heated water hose and running your furnace you should be fine. If you will stay put for weeks at a time the skirting would be a wise addition. As always with these units, regardless of the climate when you are camping, regular walk arounds/inspections and regular maintenance aids in early detection of potential issues. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding your original question, I'd go with skirting for sure. Just make sure it is one that is easy to install and remove if you move around a lot. There are numerous types offered, depends on your budget. I'd prob opt for one of the custom fit ones if I was going to purchase skirting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've got both slide toppers (ordered them when we purchased the Solitude) and just got a skirt installed.

From my research there are essentially 3 types of removable skirts.
    1. Channel skirt
    2. Button skirt
    3. Turn buckle and button skirt
    I'm still working but living in FT in my Solitude. My DW and I plan on taking several trips this winter (south where its warmer) so having a removable skirt was a must for us. I elected to go with option #3 for the following reasons.
    1. Price. I got quotes from all three type of installers (#1 $3,100, #2 $2,400, #3 $1,950) and for a 41' 5th wheel $3 was not only cheaper, they came to my site and did the installation. He was going to charge me mileage from KS to IN (actual costs = offered to show me the fuel receipts), but I was able to get another 5th wheel owner to purchase a skirt installation from him and he didn't charge either of us mileage.
    2. Ease of installation and removal. With our plan on moving a lot during the winter I was concerned the channel system would freeze and become difficult to remove the skirt bead from the channel. I thought it had a superior seal with the bead, but after seeing the installation of the turnbuckle system I'm happy with how tight it seals to the side (see picture).

Options #1 and #2 required me to go to their site for my installation (they didn't have any planned installs this far east) and that would have added an additional $1,000 in fuel expenses.
    All skirt companies used an 18 ply skirting material with is similar to that used on semi trucks that have canvas covers = very tough stuff.

With Option #3 it uses turn buckles fasteners almost everywhere except on the slide sides, snaps are used there. The turn buckles have a tendency to catch on the slider seas whereas the snaps don't

Here are some pics of the workmanship, and a contact #.
    They did an outstanding job, and took about 1 day to complete the installation. I would definitely have them do an install again, very professionally done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skirt.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	16246Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skirt side.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	16247Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skirt front.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	16248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skirt POC.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	16249
    Pete & Carla Nelson
    2017 F-350, diesel, DRW, Lariat, 8' bed, Ford's TPMS, Furrion camera, Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover
    2017 Solitude 384GK, with dual pane windows, slide toppers, gen ready, heat pump.
    Added items: WiFiRanger EliteAC (external antenna), WiFiRanger GoAC (Router),
    Trailer Saver BD3 w/underbed adapter, Cheapheat system, Fantastic fan (bathroom), 50 Amp Hughes Auto Former w/surge protection, 5th wheel skirting.
    MoRryde independent suspension, 8k axle, disc breaks, Sailun S637 tires

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    I believe Rob (Second Chance) is full time in their 337. You can PM Rob if He does not respond to this thread. He is most helpful and willing to share. There are others but they escape me right now.

Dan
    Dan is right - we have been full-time in our 337 for a little over three years. We have weathered some pretty brutal winter conditions and had to add some pipe insulation to the water lines to the kitchen island. We use a space heater on a thermostat in the basement to help there and, at night when it dips (like it did last night to about 20), we turn off the fireplace and make sure the main furnace cycles regularly to keep everything underneath above freezing.

There are both full-timing and winter camping sub-forums you can check out:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...rand-Design-RV

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...eather-camping

We don't stay in one place long enough to skirt and haven't added slide toppers because of the amount of time we spend in the southwest and the high winds there.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast