Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Broken Spring - Second Try

I must've worded my first attempt badly or I did something wrong. Coming home to West Palm Beach, Florida this year from our 10-week vacation to the NE we broke a spring (rear-right side on back end) in north Florida (see pics). I Noticed that one of our tires at a rest area was wearing on the outside and upon further inspection saw the broken spring. We have the Lippert 4400# pound axles (see pic). We managed to limp home. Can someone direct or tell me what springs they used on this unit (or who to call to find out). I will replace all the springs myself while I do my yearly bearing/brake/suspension maintenance as we now have about 27K miles on the rig.

Regards,
    Ken Rutchey

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7852.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	15729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7853.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	15730Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7854.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	15731

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I meant to respond to your first post Ken but got distracted and didn't go back to it. Your 4,400# axles will have two 2,200# springs. You can also call GD customer service or Lippert customer service for assistance and guidance.

GD Customer Service - 574-825-9679
    Lippert Customer Service - 574-537-8900

Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. I’ve gleamed a lot of good information from this site over the past two years. You (among others) have had many good posts. I’ve been pulling airboat, boat, and RV trailers for the past 45 yrs. and have never had a spring break on me. I’m not sure if this case is indicative of poor quality/defect and/or overloading. Our rig is never loaded to more than 9300# so the spring should’ve been adequate. In either case I’ve decided that for my yearly breakdown to replace all springs with eTrailer Universal Group 2500# springs, new U-bolts and shackles, and 8 new Never-Fail bushings. It is my understanding that it is nearly impossible to salvage the old Never-Fail bushings out of the spring ends. I will be interested to see how the Never-Fail bushings held up after 17K miles. I will also inspect my Equa-Flex Equalizers for wear; clean/inspect the bearings, brakes and install new seals. I’ve decided on the Goodyear Endurance (ST225/75R15 – 117N) tires for replacement. Next summer we are heading up to Banff & Jasper.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ken - It appears quite a few owners have decided to upgrade to the next higher spring. I will say that yours is the first one I've heard of failing on that size axle.

I'm running the same Goodyear tires that you're considering and so far, they seem very robust.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ken - it is interesting that the broken spring eye end is not pointed down in your picture. Seeing it pointing nearly straight back (3 or 9 O'clock position) makes me wonder how tight (possibly too tight) is the spring eye bolt/nut and or is it rusted or otherwise stuck in that position to the spring mounting bracket. This condition could certainly restrict spring movement and place undue stress on the spring, I suspect.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken&Holly View Post
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. I’ve gleamed a lot of good information from this site over the past two years. You (among others) have had many good posts. I’ve been pulling airboat, boat, and RV trailers for the past 45 yrs. and have never had a spring break on me. I’m not sure if this case is indicative of poor quality/defect and/or overloading. Our rig is never loaded to more than 9300# so the spring should’ve been adequate. In either case I’ve decided that for my yearly breakdown to replace all springs with eTrailer Universal Group 2500# springs, new U-bolts and shackles, and 8 new Never-Fail bushings. It is my understanding that it is nearly impossible to salvage the old Never-Fail bushings out of the spring ends. I will be interested to see how the Never-Fail bushings held up after 17K miles. I will also inspect my Equa-Flex Equalizers for wear; clean/inspect the bearings, brakes and install new seals. I’ve decided on the Goodyear Endurance (ST225/75R15 – 117N) tires for replacement. Next summer we are heading up to Banff & Jasper.
    I'd lean towards poor quality/defect.

Edit: To be fair, the interstates I just traveled were extremely rough. Even doing 65 mph the truck and trailer were severely tested on some sections of the road. Some small bridges it felt like I fell onto the bridge and then was launched off the other side back onto the road.

Please update when you get the new items installed with any issues you found and your impression on the replacements.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dan - I originally torqued all spring nuts to 45 ft/lbs. I just went out and checked and can turn that broken spring eye end very easily by hand - I thought you were on to something. Note that the picture was taken while the unit is auto leveled. Tires are on the ground, but a lot of pressure has been taken off the springs. When riding home that remaining spring was sitting right on the frame (you can see the indent in the pics). I rode that way all the way from north Florida to West Palm Beach, while trying to beat hurricane Michael. I took a chance, but now glad unit is in my yard where I can work on it. In the future, I will keep a spare spring with us when travelling

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Howard - On this last trip coming from FL we toured/stayed in NJ, PA, VT, NH, and NY. I agree - I also go 65 MPH and our rig got bounced about quite a bit on some terrible stretches of road in that part of the country.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard, your description of being launched off those small bridges is the best description of towing over those bridges that I’ve heard. These suspensions are not designed for the typical roads that exist in the US. So I am not sure where these trailers were designed to be towed. The other bad interstates are the concrete sections where you resonate from section to section. There is no weight distribution hitch that will really give you any relief. Another bad situation is where there is road work and they have grinded off the asphalt right before the concrete bridge but don’t add a little asphalt to give you a little ramp. It feels like the trailer is getting ripped off the back of. the truck, even at the road work reduced speed limit. As far as bushings go, others have posted that because the spring eye openings are not very round, just about any kind you use will get distorted. If that is the case I think I will use the neverfail and just replace them every 2500 miles and not go through the maintain end of having to grease wet bolts.
    Pete D.